Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sand Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlavassor86 View Post
Yea when I was snorkeling off the Florida keys I seen these two guys terrorizing what I think was a lobster. It was up in a cave and just the long feelers on his head were visible. They were pulling on them and jabbing a stick up into the hole. There was another lady that started touching coral even though on the boat they made it very clear your not to touch it. Well this lady unwittingly grabbed a piece of fire coral. Lmao.

LoL on the fire coral, I bet that was funny to watch.
As for the teenagers jabbing the lobster, that is sad.

I had lived in Gulf Shores for three years of my life and I still visit. Walking the beach one day I noticed some teenagers fooling around with something, it was a Sand Shark on closer inspection. No one gave a darn, but them teens were torturing the animal. Beating it, and pretending to put it back into the water only to take it out again. I went up to them and ripped them a new one, and I took the Shark away. The thing was about to the point of death. With the Teens laughing at me and every other dumb adult laughing, I held it in the water for about 20 mins letting it get it's strength back. It ended up swimming away, but I don't know if it lived.

Now I don't care much about Sand Sharks, in fact I hate them. Catching them sucks when I fish. I always release them, and I never hurt them more than need be. I just can't imagine why people feel that they need to torture animals. I am an active fisher, I mostly catch and release (mostly because I don't want to clean the fish. ). I only take the ones that are going to die because they swallowed the hook and no way of getting the hook out without killing the fish. I am a firm believer in taking only what you intended to eat, and kill fast.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282

I had lived in Gulf Shores for three years of my life and I still visit. Walking the beach one day I noticed some teenagers fooling around with something, it was a Sand Shark on closer inspection. No one gave a darn, but them teens were torturing the animal. Beating it, and pretending to put it back into the water only to take it out again. I went up to them and ripped them a new one, and I took the Shark away. The thing was about to the point of death. With the Teens laughing at me and every other dumb adult laughing, I held it in the water for about 20 mins letting it get it's strength back. It ended up swimming away, but I don't know if it lived.

Now I don't care much about Sand Sharks, in fact I hate them. Catching them sucks when I fish. I always release them, and I never hurt them more than need be. I just can't imagine why people feel that they need to torture animals. I am an active fisher, I mostly catch and release (mostly because I don't want to clean the fish. ). I only take the ones that are going to die because they swallowed the hook and no way of getting the hook out without killing the fish. I am a firm believer in taking only what you intended to eat, and kill fast.
Yea had I been older at the time I would have said something to them. I was only like 13 or 14 at the time and the both of them were quite a bit older. As for the coral lady, yea that was hilarious. That actually happened my second trip to the keys. So I was old enough to realllllly appreciate her ignorance. I got a good laugh out of it, she was in quite a bit of pain. I would have felt bad if the guides or whatever you call them hadnt just just got done explaining why not to touch any corals and even warned us about the fire corals. It was probably less than 5 min in the water before she did it. And couldn't even blame it in being too young to understand cus she looked to be in her 40's

Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

My thoughts are these;

I went to our local aquarium, they had roughly 150 Tequila splitfins (Zoogoneticus tequila), a type pf pupfish that is live bearing and which are on the red list for being critically endangered in a tank that was about 30 gallons.

I saw those cute little fish and knew I could give them a better home than that. I contacted the aquarium and the IUCN about adopting some to help with the breeding program. I let them know I have plenty of space, would provide everything to help the conservation of the species and would want nothing in return.

I got asked for donations instead.

So, I'm all for capturing and/or breeding of either endangered or local fish.

The other side to this is how some wild captures are treated. I'm sure some have seen me post about BW dragon (violet) gobys and what happens with them. Wild caught, thrown in tubs of FW. The ones that survive get shipped out to stores where someone doesn't do their homework, gets one or two and keeps them in a 10g FW tank.

I have three tanks of wild caught fish. I have done my best to match their natural surroundings. All three tanks are healthy, happy, and some are spawning. To me, that's worth the extra that I have to put into those tanks.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
My thoughts are these;

I went to our local aquarium, they had roughly 150 Tequila splitfins (Zoogoneticus tequila), a type pf pupfish that is live bearing and which are on the red list for being critically endangered in a tank that was about 30 gallons.

I saw those cute little fish and knew I could give them a better home than that. I contacted the aquarium and the IUCN about adopting some to help with the breeding program. I let them know I have plenty of space, would provide everything to help the conservation of the species and would want nothing in return.

I got asked for donations instead.

So, I'm all for capturing and/or breeding of either endangered or local fish.

The other side to this is how some wild captures are treated. I'm sure some have seen me post about BW dragon (violet) gobys and what happens with them. Wild caught, thrown in tubs of FW. The ones that survive get shipped out to stores where someone doesn't do their homework, gets one or two and keeps them in a 10g FW tank.

I have three tanks of wild caught fish. I have done my best to match their natural surroundings. All three tanks are healthy, happy, and some are spawning. To me, that's worth the extra that I have to put into those tanks.
I commend you for getting involved. You could get aggressive in the next few weeks if that overpopulated tank is still full, I love to write letters to the EPA, the county SBDC and of course to the BBB, come into the shop and drop those copies off on Sunday and mention they are bein mailed Monday.

Print a list of 30-40 email addresses that will also be CC'd, senators mayors newspaper TMZ who ever!! NPR too!

Ha I love this stuff, but again I commend you for handling it respectfully. I tend to get very upset when endangered animals are poached.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Endangered species

My local fish store is against selling wild caught fish and never sell endangered species. I hate to see endangered species caught and then bought by clueless people and they soon die due to unproper care. I'm glad that there is a new forum for this subject.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dragonfish brings up a very interesting point. At what point does wild collection shift from ethical (providing stock for dedicated breeders to preserve a species) to unethical (providing food for the novice aquarist's cleanup crew)?
I think the issue here is one of economics. Most supply chains that carry wild caught endangered fish are indiscriminate in whom they sell to. So while one individual may buy the fish and create a captive population, another might simply buy over and over again to replace those that die.
The lfs cannot be expected to have a separate row of tanks for dedicated breeders, but the dedicated breeders should not have to travel across the world to acquire their stock.
I think that in an ideal world, there would be a separate supply chain for endangered fish, perhaps through a non profit organisation that sells only to those who demonstrate that they can provide proper care. This sort of arrangement could even lead to reintroducing captive populations into areas where wild populations are suffering.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Commenting on swallowing hooks, I'm not a big fisher but I recently found that a lot of parents who fish with there children tell the kids the hooks 'dissolve' and the fish is fine once the hook is swallowed. I find it hard to wrap my mind around a metal hook dissolving.... Also someone else who fished told me about circular hooks that are designed to not be able to catch in the fishes belly but only catch the lip on the way out. I would prefer to only fish with hooks like these in the future...
Old 12-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #28

This entire thread has made me so sad. I'm pretty sure if humans continue to behave like this the ocean will be completely lifeless in the future, and the only reminder of what a grand place it once was will be the saltwater fishkeepers. And all those fish species that we can't breed in captivity will go extinct just because people have this need to feel powerful and superior to other species by harming them.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

That kind of thing makes me very angry . That general disrespect for nature is what is killing our beautiful oceans.a lot of People just don't respect nature and animals and view their lives as worthless or below them. Especially when it's a tiny fish. They think that one fish or coral won't make a difference, but then a ton of other idiots also have the same collective attitude, which causes the problem. We need to lead these sheep by a good example.

If I ever have kids, I'm going to raise them thinking that fish are sacred.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have any of you demonstrated recently on behalf of the environment? Written letters to your government? Donated to non-profits?

Not a guilt trip, I'm not nearly as active as I wish to be. But I remember wearing a cardboard fish costume at an International Rivers Network demonstration against several dams in India and china that were endangering fish species, river mammals and flooding hundreds of acres of homes of poor country people with no legal rights.

Yes!!! The ocean is being polluted, the rainforest Lost and we all drive hours per day and plan to buy our next gas powered vehicle in 2 years. I'm sorry but only actions matter, don't feel bad and put a bumper sticker on your car to absolve the issue.

Um, and please don't be offended but I might suggest that you avoid repressing this horrible feeling that you are not part of the solution yet. I have more passion for the animals on earth than our societies who fail to choose anything over profit.

I will not be a pain any more, I'm depressed over the school massacre and I feel like life is futile, but tomorrow I will try to find a more positive way to contribute to the preservation of our only planet.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com