Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: aprox 30 minutes from The Wet Spot :)
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Ethical/unethical by what standard though? I think that's the crux of the debate.
Exactly. Ethics are completely subjective and can be approached from so many different angles.

But it does provide for an interesting discussion.
__________________

__________________
---------------------------------------------------

Your tank cannot be complete without a pleco. It's IMPOSSIBLE.
Scott F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
HUKIT's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 42.2411°N/88.3161°W
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
Exactly. Ethics are completely subjective and can be approached from so many different angles.

But it does provide for an interesting discussion.
Yes which was the reason for the thread. There hasn't really been on good debates lately and I'm glad everyone has responded politely. It's always interesting hearing different opinions.
__________________

__________________
Those Who Lack The Courage Will Always Find A Philosophy To Justify It.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
emerald76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3,332
I want the Sulphur Molly from the CARES list.
Anyway, I support wild caught fish in moderation to increase endangered populations by captive breeding.
__________________
It's not a dumb question if you ask it.
Too many tanks? GASP! How could that be?
emerald76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
MrPillow's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Corpus Christ, TX
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x5 View Post
This is also an extreme stance on animal keeping in general. Ethics are not universal and vary among people and culture.
Now I may not be an ethical scholar or anything of the sort, but does this not seem like a dangerous proposition about the universal applicability of ethical notions? The implication of the notion ethics and morality are dependent upon culture/time/location is that there is no universal ethical code, and we must always respect the ethical codes of others outside of our personal scope of understanding.

The problem I see is that the assertion that we should always respect the ethics and morals of another culture is in itself an implied universal moral absolute.

An ethical judgment cannot both confirm and deny a maxim at the same time - this sort of contradiction devoid the entire concept of credibility.

As tempting as it may be to say "Not my culture, not my ethics, no problem", this sort of "solution" is merely a cop out to avoid trying to discover an underlying universal answer.
__________________
MrPillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #45
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,410
The biggest problem is stupidity. Without intelligence, morals and ethics play only a microscopic part.
__________________
-Jonathan

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #46
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
HN1's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ga
Posts: 8,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
The biggest problem is stupidity. Without intelligence, morals and ethics play only a microscopic part.
I would change the word "stupidity" to "ignorance". Until you are aware of what you don't know, you cannot seek the knowledge you lack.
__________________
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #47
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
5x5's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPillow

Now I may not be an ethical scholar or anything of the sort, but does this not seem like a dangerous proposition about the universal applicability of ethical notions? The implication of the notion ethics and morality are dependent upon culture/time/location is that there is no universal ethical code, and we must always respect the ethical codes of others outside of our personal scope of understanding.

The problem I see is that the assertion that we should always respect the ethics and morals of another culture is in itself an implied universal moral absolute.

An ethical judgment cannot both confirm and deny a maxim at the same time - this sort of contradiction devoid the entire concept of credibility.

As tempting as it may be to say "Not my culture, not my ethics, no problem", this sort of "solution" is merely a cop out to avoid trying to discover an underlying universal answer.
I was describing the "state of affairs" of ethics and morality, more so than my opinion of the topic at the time. Today, I see ethics as a personal lens of morality in situations. In some cases, there is a strong majority and laws are created in favor of a exhibiting a behavior or repressing a behavior. However, these laws rarely are universal and are continually debated, even among like-minded people.

As much as it would be a nice little bow on a pretty little package, universal ethics is not achievable in my opinion. Humans are in a class of their peers trying to determine what is right and without unanimous support for every issue of morality, ethics by definition are not universal.
__________________
Join the official SA/CA Club: A place to share pictures and talk about your monsters.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...d+society.html
5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
MrPillow's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Corpus Christ, TX
Posts: 396
Just because it does not seem immediately attainable given the current situation, does not mean it should be dismissed as the long term desirable reality.

Just my opinion.
__________________

__________________
MrPillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breed, cap, question, wild

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.