Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2015, 12:47 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All living animals.

It makes me sick just seeing this.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:16 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I have not heard of these but must say, that must be some huge keychain to house a living fish. It doesn't sound all that practical to me.
Actually, they are about 7 centimeters with no room for the fish to even turn around. And sealed, so the fish are impossible to feed. They die within a week.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:24 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

So where's PETA when you need them?
People can complain about what happens to the animals in the U.S all they want but I have never seen anything as horrific as this here. There was a time when fish were sold in containers in supermarkets and similar stores but even those had oxygen in the container and the fish were in there to be sold for aquariums not kept in the containers until they died.
What they did or are doing with those animals just pushes animal cruelty to a whole new level in my opinion. But then again, this is from the same mindset that brought us the painted and tattooed fish. What else do you expect?
Old 03-02-2015, 01:32 AM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unfortunately, it is completely legal in the country that makes it.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:46 AM   #95
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It's an interesting point on wild caught vs bred fish.

For me, selective breeding doesn't really bother me. We could argue against it however it's not huge on my list.

I like to know if it is sustainable for the environment and if it is good animal care. Dyed fish just doesn't seem right.

Ballon mollies - hmm, tricky. Don't like anything too fancy that is going to be difficult to keep. On the hand I'm keeping fish in a tank so fancy fish don't bother me to keep as I'm keeping them in a tank, not releasing them into the wild. Must be fairly hardy and reasonable life span though.

Personally, neon and cardinal tetras have a much shorter life span - just don't really work. So I could buy them every 6 months but it's not really fair on the fish (plus the hip pocket). Not sure if that is ethical or just plain pragmatic
Old 03-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

. . . Wow!
All I can say for sure, those key rings are unethical!

(Great input Mr Sager, as always, a source of great knowledge)

I'm not a fan of fancy breeds but then I got a betta crowntail, it's absolutely stunning!
Am I guilty?
Either way this thread has shown some pretty nasty things!
Those tattooed fish! I mean really, what is happening?
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got these off google images.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425311260.759268.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  17.5 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425311279.569569.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  18.4 KB
Old 03-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
It's an interesting point on wild caught vs bred fish.

For me, selective breeding doesn't really bother me. We could argue against it however it's not huge on my list.

I like to know if it is sustainable for the environment and if it is good animal care. Dyed fish just doesn't seem right.

Ballon mollies - hmm, tricky. Don't like anything too fancy that is going to be difficult to keep. On the hand I'm keeping fish in a tank so fancy fish don't bother me to keep as I'm keeping them in a tank, not releasing them into the wild. Must be fairly hardy and reasonable life span though.

Personally, neon and cardinal tetras have a much shorter life span - just don't really work. So I could buy them every 6 months but it's not really fair on the fish (plus the hip pocket). Not sure if that is ethical or just plain pragmatic
See? It's a tricky subject. I am just as guilty because my favorite fish is a man made adaptation of a wild fish. This was pointed out to me when I was very young. I was having an "anti- man made fish" discussion with my Mentor when he reminded me that my fav fish WAS a man made fish. Blew my whole argument right out the window.
As for sustainability in the environment, you have to go deep for that because some fish are no longer found in their natural environments due to habitat destruction NOT over harvesting. Case in point, The Redtail Black Shark and many Rainbowfishes are no longer found in the wild or are extremely scarce. So if there were no breeding programs to save these fish, they would just be gone.

As for needing to buy neons or cardinals every 6 months, that's a bit short of their natural lifespans. According to this: Lifespans of Aquarium Fish
Neons should be lasting 5-10 years and Cardinals 4 years ( not months.) Then you need to consider that most neons in the trade are tank bred but most Cardinals are wild but sustainably harvested according to reports I've seen. But then you need to throw in the fact that captive bred neons tend to not be as hardy as the wild caught cardinals when they are kept in the proper environmental conditions. It just makes you want to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mcpeak View Post
. . . Wow!
All I can say for sure, those key rings are unethical!

(Great input Mr Sager, as always, a source of great knowledge)

I'm not a fan of fancy breeds but then I got a betta crowntail, it's absolutely stunning!
Am I guilty?
Either way this thread has shown some pretty nasty things!
Those tattooed fish! I mean really, what is happening?
Thanks for the nod and YES, you are guilty ( welcome to the club. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
I got these off google images.
Attachment 266013Attachment 266014
First, it just makes me want to cry. Second, it makes me wonder about just how sick the human mind can be. Do I blame the creator of these things or the buyers of these things. To me, each has a bit of depravity in them.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #99
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

All very good points and informative as always. Makes my head hurt! At least keeping plants should have no issues! Um, right??
Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
All very good points and informative as always. Makes my head hurt! At least keeping plants should have no issues! Um, right??
Except for release of potential invasive species....

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com