Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey W. View Post
I had a gourami with bloat I did everything in the book to save him. I couldn't watch him suffer anymore. He was on deaths doorstep . I then made an ice slush in the freezer and put him in it. As a Veterinary Technician for 14 years I have seen animals suffer and I have also euthanized quite a few. I figured in my eyes that was the best way after researching euthanasia in fish. I felt horrible because it's not like we have an injection so they go to sleep peacefully.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
This is an absolutely untheical way to do it in my opinion...would you want to go through the pain for freezing to death? And on top of that, a human would pass out after a while and stop feeling. A fish will not pass out due to pain and can actually feel the ice crystals forming on the surface of their skin. This is an extremely agonizing and long experience. I am not telling you this to make you feel bad, but to prevent others from doing this. Adoption or clove oil in my opinion are the only ethical ways.
~Zac

Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's adoption?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

All
This is a good, valid discussion and we want to keep it. But it has to stay civil. These kinds of threads can devolve quickly so just remember there are many opinions and keep personal attacks out of it. So far so good but just wanted to offer some "pre-warning" as these discussions can go south quick.

Thanks all and thanks in advance for sharing your views and opinions while keeping it civil!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbz99 View Post
This is an absolutely untheical way to do it in my opinion...would you want to go through the pain for freezing to death? And on top of that, a human would pass out after a while and stop feeling. A fish will not pass out due to pain and can actually feel the ice crystals forming on the surface of their skin. This is an extremely agonizing and long experience. I am not telling you this to make you feel bad, but to prevent others from doing this. Adoption or clove oil in my opinion are the only ethical ways.
~Zac
The ice slushy supposedly causes the fish to go into instant shock. I.e. the hugely rapid change in temperature kills it immediately without pain.

What you're referring to is sticking it in a bowl of water and throwing it in the freezer.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbz99 View Post
~Zac
What else could I have done? So you want me to adopt out a dying fish? I said I didn't have clove oil. What else do you want from me? Tell me what you would have done better. By the time I would have gotten oil he would have been dead. He was already in enough pain. You need to tell me what store is open on Christmas Eve at 10pm to purchase clove oil.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The ice slushy supposedly causes the fish to go into instant shock. I.e. the hugely rapid change in temperature kills it immediately without pain.

What you're referring to is sticking it in a bowl of water and throwing it in the freezer.
I would think that shock by cold would be a painful experience in itself. But maybe not. :b
Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey W. View Post
What else could I have done? So you want me to adopt out a dying fish? I said I didn't have clove oil. What else do you want from me? Tell me what you would have done better. By the time I would have gotten oil he would have been dead. He was already in enough pain. You need to tell me what store is open on Christmas Eve at 10pm to purchase clove oil.

Take a read of the posts that came before yours 3 people were posting at once
Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Take a read of the posts that came before yours 3 people were posting at once
Most fish dying a painful death are not an overnight or instant thing. So it probably could have been taken care of before he would have died over night. Regardless, it is over and you can't do anything about it. I am,just stating my opinion
~Zac
Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
All
This is a good, valid discussion and we want to keep it. But it has to stay civil. These kinds of threads can devolve quickly so just remember there are many opinions and keep personal attacks out of it. So far so good but just wanted to offer some "pre-warning" as these discussions can go south quick.

Thanks all and thanks in advance for sharing your views and opinions while keeping it civil!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Just in time methinks!
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry, the Scottish in me is coming out .

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com