Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
J.Mcpeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Normally, In A Tank!
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by keegster803 View Post
Luckily the employee that sold me the fish told me that if they died during the cycling that he would just give me a replacement.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
You're lucky! The fish wasn't! (Not an attack on you)

One fish store tried to pull me on 0.1 nitrite, I took them to one side, "both of us know that isn't deadly, while it isn't good, it most certainly isn't lethal"
More words were exchanged, but on a friendly level, I got my replacement fish.

I wonder how many people actually take responsibility? Without further ado.
(The nitrite was is the bottle, I used an empty whiskey bottle! Don't do this!)

This was from a reputable dealer too! After this event they know not to fob me off, but now I'm reluctant to hand over my money here.
(It's still one of my favourite shops, that's how bad the others are!)
I did have a wealth of data and photographs etc. to back me up so I think that really helped otherwise I'm not so sure? (One more shop off the list!)
It did take some convincing on my part, and without all the pictures I'm not so sure it would've ended well?

The real gripe, my water tests are better than some points of purchase!
It seems the less the customer knows, the better for the dealer!
(Again, I realise some are very good, I shouldn't stereotype, but guilty until proven otherwise, that's the way they see it)
__________________

__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/928918...7632686866609/
FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMRC Exotics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Posts: 2,356
What about the ethics of the actual pet stores keeping practices. For example my local petsmart has really low pH in their tanks. Insanely low, somewhere around 5. All their fish cichlid or tetra share the same recycled water. I would bet their systems constantly undergo mini cycles too with the huge swings in bio load at restocking time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
TMRC Exotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
J.Mcpeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Normally, In A Tank!
Posts: 1,685
Angry Duty of care? (Not in this example!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
What about the ethics of the actual pet stores keeping practices. For example my local petsmart has really low pH in their tanks. Insanely low, somewhere around 5. All their fish cichlid or tetra share the same recycled water. I would bet their systems constantly undergo mini cycles too with the huge swings in bio load at restocking time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
The fish,
LDA 1 Panaqolus sp.
Small Loricariidae from Brazil, Rio Negro. "Gold stripe panaque"
Approx size 2.5"/65mm.
Absolute gem of a fish! Impulse buy! Shop shutting down everything half price! Oops! (I have space )
Mon 29th December 2014.

The water,
LDA 1 Transport water 1!
What do I say?
The amount of times I see yours or my water being put to question following the death of a fish purchase. This is incredible! This is the test results for the LDA 1 shipping water. Nitrate is the highest I've ever seen! I mean that changed colour faster than ever, it was off the charts before the solution was even mixed properly. I approximate the level to be around 200mg/l based on the results from the quarantine tank nitrate test.
Overall TDS approx 4 times local water. It seems setting a tank for a fish is not the best way to go. Set the tank for the water!

The water (2),
LDA 1 Transport water 2!
GH almost twice local tap water (German scale). Nitrate reading ridiculous. Result may be compromised as the nitrate test was carried out the following morning, however, the tests from the tank suggest that it is about right. GH/TDS tests carried out same day.


(This shop was shutting down but really, these results were ridiculous!)
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/928918...7632686866609/
FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMRC Exotics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Posts: 2,356
Wow. Not surprising.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
TMRC Exotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
J.Mcpeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Normally, In A Tank!
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
Wow. Not surprising.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I thought wow! And I was surprised!
I think I saved a fish that day!

Most of the time it isn't worth noting, but this is for sure the worst example of water from a shop that I have ever seen!

It gets me that they check our water! Who else checks them?
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/928918...7632686866609/
FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SpaceFish42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,168
Ethics

Fortunately my LFS is very responsible and when I was new to the hobby they even stopped me from buying fish! However Petsmart and Petco (Petco especially) are on the complete other end of the spectrum, and I see hundreds of goldfish in a 15 gallon tank, rotting fish stuck to the filter intakes, sick and dying fish in the corners, etc. what really disgusts me is when I see a seven or eight year old come in with their parent and just start picking out random fish, without even having a cycled tank yet. And the pet store doesn't even stop them!
__________________
SpaceFish42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
Fortunately my LFS is very responsible and when I was new to the hobby they even stopped me from buying fish! However Petsmart and Petco (Petco especially) are on the complete other end of the spectrum, and I see hundreds of goldfish in a 15 gallon tank, rotting fish stuck to the filter intakes, sick and dying fish in the corners, etc. what really disgusts me is when I see a seven or eight year old come in with their parent and just start picking out random fish, without even having a cycled tank yet. And the pet store doesn't even stop them!
Have you ever tried to tell a customer "no"? It generally doesn't go over well. Even if you do and the customer complains the manager will make you sell them the fish... That or fire you.

The conditions vary wildly between stores. My local petsmart is fairly nice compared to most of them. The tanks are lightly stocked, fish look healthy, and they maintain things very well.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
Fortunately my LFS is very responsible and when I was new to the hobby they even stopped me from buying fish! However Petsmart and Petco (Petco especially) are on the complete other end of the spectrum, and I see hundreds of goldfish in a 15 gallon tank, rotting fish stuck to the filter intakes, sick and dying fish in the corners, etc. what really disgusts me is when I see a seven or eight year old come in with their parent and just start picking out random fish, without even having a cycled tank yet. And the pet store doesn't even stop them!

That's what my main point was in my rant they are big box stores most don't care they just want your money. Fortunately SOME of the employees know quite a bit at my PetSmart. They will strongly advise not to mix said fish like cichlids with say danios. But they won't refuse a sale to avoid getting managers involved. I'm really tempted now to make a brochure about ethical fish keeping and cycling a tank. I might start on it tonight. Then using that petition website to implement the brochure into big box stores like PetSmart and Petco.


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Stacey W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
That's what my main point was in my rant they are big box stores most don't care they just want your money. Fortunately SOME of the employees know quite a bit at my PetSmart. They will strongly advise not to mix said fish like cichlids with say danios. But they won't refuse a sale to avoid getting managers involved. I'm really tempted now to make a brochure about ethical fish keeping and cycling a tank. I might start on it tonight. Then using that petition website to implement the brochure into big box stores like PetSmart and Petco.


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Even some of the Petsmarts that have an attached veterinary hospitals want your money. One of our client's at our vet hospital went there because it was close at the time. There dog need antibiotics due to a bite wound they wanted to give an injection of antibiotics to this 100lb dog. We give the same kind of injection to cats because it's a smaller dose therefore it's cheaper and lasts 2 weeks (easier than giving a pill). They refused to write a prescription of antibiotics for the client. The client walked out due to the fact the injection was going to be approximately $150, ouch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Stacey W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey W. View Post
Even some of the Petsmarts that have an attached veterinary hospitals want your money. One of our client's at our vet hospital went there because it was close at the time. There dog need antibiotics due to a bite wound they wanted to give an injection of antibiotics to this 100lb dog. We give the same kind of injection to cats because it's a smaller dose therefore it's cheaper and lasts 2 weeks (easier than giving a pill). They refused to write a prescription of antibiotics for the client. The client walked out due to the fact the injection was going to be approximately $150, ouch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Thats not surprising tbh. If someone screws an injection up it could cause some major problems.
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ethics of anemone keeping ctmedman Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 09-11-2005 03:16 PM
Feeder fish and the ethics question... Toker95 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 23 06-06-2005 04:26 AM
PETA and Fish ethics fishfreek Aquaria Off-Topic 55 11-26-2004 09:45 AM
A Question of Ethics BrianNY Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 18 07-23-2004 06:02 PM
Poor Ethics - Abandoned Fish. rvijay07 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 19 03-07-2004 11:27 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.