Ethics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even some of the Petsmarts that have an attached veterinary hospitals want your money. One of our client's at our vet hospital went there because it was close at the time. There dog need antibiotics due to a bite wound they wanted to give an injection of antibiotics to this 100lb dog. We give the same kind of injection to cats because it's a smaller dose therefore it's cheaper and lasts 2 weeks (easier than giving a pill). They refused to write a prescription of antibiotics for the client. The client walked out due to the fact the injection was going to be approximately $150, ouch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I lived in a different part of Arizona, my dog ate a curtain kind of flower that is very deadly to animals. She got very sick and we took her in and they wanted to do IVs, injections, blood tests, and possibly surgery. We walked out due to the insane medical bill of around eight thousand dollars. They ended up doing IV because she wasn't eating, but after a week of giving her over the counter dog vitamins and probiotics, she was healthy again. I think it's hit and miss with pet stores and their vet clinics. Some just want money and some actually care.

•22 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

When I lived in a different part of Arizona, my dog ate a curtain kind of flower that is very deadly to animals. She got very sick and we took her in and they wanted to do IVs, injections, blood tests, and possibly surgery. We walked out due to the insane medical bill of around eight thousand dollars. They ended up doing IV because she wasn't eating, but after a week of giving her over the counter dog vitamins and probiotics, she was healthy again. I think it's hit and miss with pet stores and their vet clinics. Some just want money and some actually care.

What kind of flower was it. Some plants can destroy the kidneys. Therefore, sending the patient into renal failure. They may have wanted to monitor him/her for internal damage. The surgery part is kinda iffy unless it could have caused a GI obstruction. Sorry, don't wanna upset anyone with this post. Sometimes I veer because animals and fish are my livelihood:D

What kind of flower was it. Some plants can destroy the kidneys. Therefore, sending the patient into renal failure. They may have wanted to monitor him/her for internal damage. The surgery part is kinda iffy unless it could have caused a GI obstruction. Sorry, don't wanna upset anyone with this post. Sometimes I veer because animals and fish are my livelihood:D

I can't for the life of me find a picture of a name of the plant, but it was a bush that flowered pink flowers. We still don't know to this day if the plant is actually deadly or if the vet was just saying it was the issue.
I understand monitoring her (which they did for almost a full day) but nothing vital seemed wrong with her. She was just throwing up a lot. They couldn't see anything wrong internally, but wanted to go ahead with the procedure anyways and told us she was going to die the next day if they didn't go ahead with it. Which is odd, considering she was rather young (5) and nothing too serious seemed wrong.
I understand, I am the same way with animals :) I just think sometimes people who work with them aren't all about the animal as much as they are the procedure and the pay off.

I think injecting dyes into fish is probably one of the most unethical things one could possibly do to a living creature. Dye=die (or worse).

Many would make the exact opposite argument here. Buy "rescuing" these fish you are spending money so it only incentivizes the store to buy and sell more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe I worded it wrong. I completely agree with that statement, I just meant for that one betta, it would be a miracle. Not so much for future ones.

I think injecting dyes into fish is probably one of the most unethical things one could possibly do to a living creature. Dye=die (or worse).

My brother did a research project on GloFish. They were genetically injected to test for something(can't remember) in the water systems. After they bred, it was in their genetics that they stayed colorful. Not every fish is injected only the original ones were then bred.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

My brother did a research project on GloFish. They were genetically injected to test for something(can't remember) in the water systems. After they bred, it was in their genetics that they stayed colorful. Not every fish is injected only the original ones were then bred.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
The eggs were injected with jellyfish dna. No harm to the fish.

So that's actually true? I'm just curious, I'd heard of it but that was it.

Picture I took at my crappy LCFS

tattooedfish.jpg

Correct glofish breed true to te color, and were created for detecting polluted water, hence the re sale laws on them. Other fish especially glass catfish are injected with a dye that dosent last the entire life of the fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picture I took at my crappy LCFS

tattooedfish.jpg

So that's like a dye injection or paint or something? Do they cost much more? How can you tell - just colours and shapes that aren't natural?? Thanks for the pic as well.

Sorry to seem so thick on this. I guess I'm still getting my head around that it is actually done. I had assumed it was from a decade ago or something and never took off.

Yes. People literally inject dyes into fish using needles or lasers. I found this picture very sad and ironic. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425186880.736712.jpg

They drew flowers on them for valentine's day.... hard to miss from a regular fish :)

Basifally, they dip the fish in a chemical to strip the slime coat. Then use a tattoo gun to draw on it, and then throw it back in a tank.

If im not mistaken only about 30% of the fish survive the procedure.

Many people have argued that fish don't feel pain. That is a completely false, cruel idea. I never swear, but I think this would be as close to an appropriate time as any.

Many people have argued that fish don't feel pain. That is a completely false, cruel idea. I never swear, but I think this would be as close to an appropriate time as any.
Including scientists. Truthfully, we have no idea whether fish feel pain or not.

Of they have a functioning nervous system, they most likely feel pain. I have observed it, and science is finding increasing evidence that they do.

Of they have a functioning nervous system, they most likely feel pain. I have observed it, and science is finding increasing evidence that they do.
Except that they don't have nociceptors which are the pain receptors. Hence the disagreement.

How have you observed it?

Except that they don't have nociceptors which are the pain receptors. Hence the disagreement.

How have you observed it?

Interesting...I never knew that. I observed my injured zebra danio, and it certainly seemed to be in pain. Nevertheless, the dyed fish still have their slime coats removed, are exposed to disease through open wounds, and are kept in horrible conditions.

What has actually been found is that they are likely to not feel "pain" but are likely to feel heightened alarm which is all the same stressful. We really have no way to be sure but this seems the most likely right now after all of the research done on the topic. (y)

Back
Top Bottom