Ethics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poor souls - no appreciation of the finer things in life.

It's good point, I guess disposing of plants can be a problem.

("Tapping the glass")

That's why the fish are hiding!:blink:
(. . .and they even say, flushing fish down the toilet, like you're supposed to do that!)

I almost got a mini RC submarine, am I a bad person? :whistle:
(Yeah, it's true!)
But that was for me, not the fish!
:nono:

Mebbid, invasive plants are a real threat, Japanese knotweed.
There are laws surrounding that plant here in the UK!
So that's a really good point you make.

And to top things off, how about the species that are planted by the government to control one thing but causes greater distress to the environment? Case in point: Mallaluca trees were planted in S. Florida only to take over the place. THEN, the government spent tons of money to have them eradicated ( which, to my knowledge, didn;t work) so more area was destroyed in the process. Second point, Peacock Bass: Brought in to FL to control the tilapia the state had imported and released into the canals in S. FL to control the weeds only to have done so well, they ran over the native fish. Their natural predators: Peacock Bass. The problem is that the native fish were easier to catch and eat so the native fish population suffered while the exotics flourished :facepalm: ( But catching peacocks on rod & reel is fun I must say :whistle: )

A.S. You're "Guilty":ROFLMAO:

:thanks:

What about pacu in (umm I can't remember, it was on river monsters)
(Just checked)
In Papua New Guinea, introduced to eat algae or something, eventually it took a shine to men washing there wotsits.
Locals now call it the nut cracker! :blink:

(Jeremy wade, river monsters)

A.S. You're "Guilty":ROFLMAO:

:thanks:

What about pacu in (umm I can't remember, it was on river monsters)
(Just checked)
In Papua New Guinea, introduced to eat algae or something, eventually it took a shine to men washing there wotsits.
Locals now call it the nut cracker! :blink:

(Jeremy wade, river monsters)

What can I say? Show me a good veil tail Angelfish and I just melt. :smitten: I also prefer doubletail bettas over regulars and regulars over Plakets. Guilty as charged. :devilish: :lol:
BUT, I don't like the idea of creating fish that create unhealthy body configurations ( Sorry Balloon lovers) or injecting fish with dyes or inks and I am not a big fan of genetically engineered fish ( sorry Glow fish lovers.) To me, If you want to take a normal fish and breed in a new color form, OK, elongate the fins a little, still OK, but squish them, blow them up, hybridize and tribredize...... for me, not wise. :nono:

But that's just me. ;)(y)

As for how the Pacu got to New Guinea, it is a food fish and very possibly brought over and set loose to be a food source. ( I ate one in Brasil and it was tasty.) I saw the episode that you are talking about and what was determined was that the fish had changed from it's "normal" behavior of eating nuts and berries and veggies into one that now prefers HUMAN coconuts. :brows: :eek:

My view is very similar to Andy's
I hate ballon mollies/Rams
Hate goldfish that are a baseball sized body
Hate glofish as its just a money making scam

Don't have any issues with selective breeding to get color morphs or long fins, etc
I myself keep lots of wild caught fish
Or fish that are wild type:
I.e fish that may/are tank raised but have wild colors, and are not selective breed

A example would be the green sword tail. Forgot the scientific name [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am okay with glofish because, a) they are not harmed at all, the color is passed down from one generation to the next, and b) they were actually made to help detect pollutants, which is a pretty cool thing for a fish to do. However, since they are genetically modified and so artificial looking, they are definitely not my favorite fish. Also, that made me start thinking...what would happen if someone bred a glofish with a normal zebra danio?

I know they breed true but my issue is that people can't sell them as while the intention or their creation was good. Now they have become a copyrighted "product"

I know they breed true but my issue is that people can't sell them as while the intention or their creation was good. Now they have become a copyrighted "product"

Yes, I agree that copywriting them is a little stupid.

I'm pretty much with Andy. I really don't even like Mollies in general but balloons especially. I love bright colored fish(my super yellow dojo loach and neon tetras lol) but GloFish have never caught my eye because I know in the beginning it was not natural. I prefer natural fish in most cases. Exceptions being like the dwarf gourami. Yes some have been bred/inbred to create what we have today but I think they look really good and doesn't give the "unnatural" feel that's Mollies/GloFish do.

On a side note I'm gonna feed the guy that made those keychain fish listed above to a full size red tail catfish. :) that's terribly evil in my eyes and honestly I wish i could really put an end to that. It IS completely unethical and just plain wrong.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I am okay with glofish because, a) they are not harmed at all, the color is passed down from one generation to the next, and b) they were actually made to help detect pollutants, which is a pretty cool thing for a fish to do. However, since they are genetically modified and so artificial looking, they are definitely not my favorite fish. Also, that made me start thinking...what would happen if someone bred a glofish with a normal zebra danio?

As I understand it, the glo fish was developed to selectively floures when pollution was detected. That is much different than what we have now. The continuous glowing was a side effect which became commercialized. had they maintained that goal, I may not be so anti glo but now, almost everything is being made in a glo form. Too far in my eyes. :nono:

Have you seen a full size red tail? It could swallow a little Chinese man lol

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It could swallow any man, Those things get huge.

Once I saw some man sell this 9 year old a Pacu for a 10 gallon.. Once full grown, that Pacu could bust a whole in the wall.

GloFish are also patented to the point of it being illegal to intentionally breed them, plus many are infertile. Why would you create something that can't self sustain? It's like when people keep super expensive huge fish that are endangered and although they have a large enough set up won't breed in captivity. Why pull something out of nature, reduce the natural population as well as the potential offspring of the organism, and not even keep the species alive in captivity? What ethics?

And to top things off, how about the species that are planted by the government to control one thing but causes greater distress to the environment? Case in point: Mallaluca trees were planted in S. Florida only to take over the place. THEN, the government spent tons of money to have them eradicated ( which, to my knowledge, didn;t work) so more area was destroyed in the process. Second point, Peacock Bass: Brought in to FL to control the tilapia the state had imported and released into the canals in S. FL to control the weeds only to have done so well, they ran over the native fish. Their natural predators: Peacock Bass. The problem is that the native fish were easier to catch and eat so the native fish population suffered while the exotics flourished :facepalm: ( But catching peacocks on rod & reel is fun I must say :whistle: )

Mosquitofish are also a bane to north american water ways... killing native species and then crashing the habitat by breeding past carrying capacity. Good job government, GG.

It could swallow any man, Those things get huge.

Once I saw some man sell this 9 year old a Pacu for a 10 gallon.. Once full grown, that Pacu could bust a whole in the wall.

GloFish are also patented to the point of it being illegal to intentionally breed them, plus many are infertile. Why would you create something that can't self sustain? It's like when people keep super expensive huge fish that are endangered and although they have a large enough set up won't breed in captivity. Why pull something out of nature, reduce the natural population as well as the potential offspring of the organism, and not even keep the species alive in captivity? What ethics?

RT cats, I had a fish farmer supplier that had a pair in a pond. The last time he had weighed one, it was 100 lbs. After that, he just used a hydrophone to know they were there. He didn't want to get sucked up by one of them. lol

As for the Pacu and the 10 gal tank, that's where the Ethics of the seller needs to be questioned. But that's not really about the fish anymore. It's about money. :banghead:

Infertility in new color forms is not a new thing. Back when Gold Severums were first being introduced, the ratio was approx. 1 male in 300 was fertile. Obviously, as more Gold Severums were produced, the more fertile they became through genetics. As for the glo-fish, I've heard they will breed true for about 5 or 6 generations before reverting back to "normal" Zebras. But, as for self sustaining itself, I believe it's a good thing they can't. They would mess up the gene pool of any wild stocks of they were to get loose. So maybe that's a good thing? :blink:

I think we should put those people in keychains and see how they like it!

You know.... It's common for everything in the asian culture to be dried and ground up and then sold in the homeopathy market. Maybe we could package and sell ground up keychain street vendors as a breeding aid for fish.

But, as for self sustaining itself, I believe it's a good thing they can't. They would mess up the gene pool of any wild stocks of they were to get loose. So maybe that's a good thing? :blink:

That's true and a good point. Imagine pink fish just swimming around the next time you go to the lake -_-

Back
Top Bottom