Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey W. View Post
Even some of the Petsmarts that have an attached veterinary hospitals want your money. One of our client's at our vet hospital went there because it was close at the time. There dog need antibiotics due to a bite wound they wanted to give an injection of antibiotics to this 100lb dog. We give the same kind of injection to cats because it's a smaller dose therefore it's cheaper and lasts 2 weeks (easier than giving a pill). They refused to write a prescription of antibiotics for the client. The client walked out due to the fact the injection was going to be approximately $150, ouch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
When I lived in a different part of Arizona, my dog ate a curtain kind of flower that is very deadly to animals. She got very sick and we took her in and they wanted to do IVs, injections, blood tests, and possibly surgery. We walked out due to the insane medical bill of around eight thousand dollars. They ended up doing IV because she wasn't eating, but after a week of giving her over the counter dog vitamins and probiotics, she was healthy again. I think it's hit and miss with pet stores and their vet clinics. Some just want money and some actually care.

•22 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

Old 02-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by micaelaarnold View Post
When I lived in a different part of Arizona, my dog ate a curtain kind of flower that is very deadly to animals. She got very sick and we took her in and they wanted to do IVs, injections, blood tests, and possibly surgery. We walked out due to the insane medical bill of around eight thousand dollars. They ended up doing IV because she wasn't eating, but after a week of giving her over the counter dog vitamins and probiotics, she was healthy again. I think it's hit and miss with pet stores and their vet clinics. Some just want money and some actually care.

What kind of flower was it. Some plants can destroy the kidneys. Therefore, sending the patient into renal failure. They may have wanted to monitor him/her for internal damage. The surgery part is kinda iffy unless it could have caused a GI obstruction. Sorry, don't wanna upset anyone with this post. Sometimes I veer because animals and fish are my livelihood

Old 02-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ethics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey W. View Post
What kind of flower was it. Some plants can destroy the kidneys. Therefore, sending the patient into renal failure. They may have wanted to monitor him/her for internal damage. The surgery part is kinda iffy unless it could have caused a GI obstruction. Sorry, don't wanna upset anyone with this post. Sometimes I veer because animals and fish are my livelihood

I can't for the life of me find a picture of a name of the plant, but it was a bush that flowered pink flowers. We still don't know to this day if the plant is actually deadly or if the vet was just saying it was the issue.
I understand monitoring her (which they did for almost a full day) but nothing vital seemed wrong with her. She was just throwing up a lot. They couldn't see anything wrong internally, but wanted to go ahead with the procedure anyways and told us she was going to die the next day if they didn't go ahead with it. Which is odd, considering she was rather young (5) and nothing too serious seemed wrong.
I understand, I am the same way with animals I just think sometimes people who work with them aren't all about the animal as much as they are the procedure and the pay off.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think injecting dyes into fish is probably one of the most unethical things one could possibly do to a living creature. Dye=die (or worse).
Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
Many would make the exact opposite argument here. Buy "rescuing" these fish you are spending money so it only incentivizes the store to buy and sell more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe I worded it wrong. I completely agree with that statement, I just meant for that one betta, it would be a miracle. Not so much for future ones.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
I think injecting dyes into fish is probably one of the most unethical things one could possibly do to a living creature. Dye=die (or worse).

My brother did a research project on GloFish. They were genetically injected to test for something(can't remember) in the water systems. After they bred, it was in their genetics that they stayed colorful. Not every fish is injected only the original ones were then bred.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
My brother did a research project on GloFish. They were genetically injected to test for something(can't remember) in the water systems. After they bred, it was in their genetics that they stayed colorful. Not every fish is injected only the original ones were then bred.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
The eggs were injected with jellyfish dna. No harm to the fish.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ethics

I wasn't talking about glofish, what I meant was all those poor fish that have artificial dyes injected with a needle. Those fish usually live short, painful lives. http://www.examiner.com/article/more...-injected-fish
Old 02-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #69
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
I wasn't talking about glofish, what I meant was all those poor fish that have artificial dyes injected with a needle. Those fish usually live short, painful lives. http://www.examiner.com/article/more...-injected-fish

So that's actually true? I'm just curious, I'd heard of it but that was it.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
So that's actually true? I'm just curious, I'd heard of it but that was it.
Picture I took at my crappy LCFS

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com