Ethics and the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe we shouldn't take them at all. :(

But then where does the incentive to save them come from?
We've already seen that the over harvesting of some food fishes hasn't incentivised the harvesters to controlling their catches. They only complain that there aren't as many fish as there used to be. :( Alaska's food fish industry has an incentive to control harvest as the state loses big time when there are no fish to catch at all. So who do we follow?
It's quite a conundrum :blink:

I haven't read all the replies; but I also agree.

I just set up my saltwater not to long ago, it's 120 gallons so it's on the larger side. It has a great sump system and I think a great overall system. When I first set it up I was watching my kole do all this weird stuff (he's a silly fish) and I honestly felt guilty, he was wild caught and I honestly felt so bad I took him from his home. I think he's happy, he comes out of hiding to see me, gets a very good diet, and his water is perfect.

I rescued 2 clowns and a hippo (stunted growth so only 6" and quiet a few years old), they came from very bad water conditions, poor diet, poor lighting (lights on bright 24/7), and an 80 gallon tank half full. I don't know if they were wild caught or captive bred, but either way that broke my heart. I try to keep my tank very natural, no chemicals, day/night cycle as close to natural as possible, varied diet... I'm constantly researching the fish I have and there natural habitats. I don't want stressed unhappy fish!

My freshwater tank to me is a lot better. All of them were tank bred, it's a small tank, but still 4 feet long. I can actually tell when there "unhappy". If the water quality is bad, there hungry, someone is being a dick, etc etc, they act a lot different. I watch my fish like hawks so I can pick out when something isn't right.

My coral have just been frags from local reefers, so I haven't directly effected that part. And personally I don't feel as guilty for them, I got my yellow polyps with 4 heads and after 2 short weeks there was 6 heads, it's been growing a head a week, so I know there doing good. They don't need huge open spaces because they don't swim, I target feed as well to insure they get food and don't starve.

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Pseudotropheus socolofi (albino) x 1
Labidochromis caeruleus
Metriaclima greshakei x 2
Amatitlania nigrofasciata x 20
Pseudotropheus crabro x 1
6" pleco x 1

Back
Top Bottom