Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvari View Post
Its been awhile since I posted, but I couldn't pass this one up.

A girl walks in and has a 1.5 Tetra Water Wonder Kit in hand, filled half the way up with water. She looks concerned. I ask her if I can help her with anything and this is what she has to say.

"I went to Walmart about a week or so ago and bought a fish... I thought he looked really cool, but he seems really unhappy and kinda sick. I went to go feed him the other day, and he tried to bite me... So is there any way you guys could take him?'

Wait, a fish tried to bite her? What the heck did she get?

After saying sorry, we aren't allowed to, I ask her what it is.

A dragon fish. An 8 inch dragon fish. Who is kept in a 1.5 gallon unheated freshwater tank. The poor thing's nose is touching the glass, and his tail is curled half way around the tank. He has a few cruddy plastic plants, and no place to hide. He snaps his jaws if you get too close to his tank.

After sending her off with the numbers of two different places she could possibly take him, I just start shaking my head.

Apparently, they told her the 1.5 gallon was just fine, that she only had to feed him bloodworms once a week (nothing else) and that she only had to clean out the tank once a month, by putting him in a tupperware container, dumping everything out, scrubbing it with hot SOAPY water, and then put ALL NEW gravel and plants back in... And of course, they never mentioned that they do better in brackish water. Seriously?
wow.........just wow

Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvari
Its been awhile since I posted, but I couldn't pass this one up.

A girl walks in and has a 1.5 Tetra Water Wonder Kit in hand, filled half the way up with water. She looks concerned. I ask her if I can help her with anything and this is what she has to say.

"I went to Walmart about a week or so ago and bought a fish... I thought he looked really cool, but he seems really unhappy and kinda sick. I went to go feed him the other day, and he tried to bite me... So is there any way you guys could take him?'

Wait, a fish tried to bite her? What the heck did she get?

After saying sorry, we aren't allowed to, I ask her what it is.

A dragon fish. An 8 inch dragon fish. Who is kept in a 1.5 gallon unheated freshwater tank. The poor thing's nose is touching the glass, and his tail is curled half way around the tank. He has a few cruddy plastic plants, and no place to hide. He snaps his jaws if you get too close to his tank.

After sending her off with the numbers of two different places she could possibly take him, I just start shaking my head.

Apparently, they told her the 1.5 gallon was just fine, that she only had to feed him bloodworms once a week (nothing else) and that she only had to clean out the tank once a month, by putting him in a tupperware container, dumping everything out, scrubbing it with hot SOAPY water, and then put ALL NEW gravel and plants back in... And of course, they never mentioned that they do better in brackish water. Seriously?
I don't even have words. Even in my less informed days I had common sense enough to know that wouldn't turn out well.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel bad for the fish.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Spent some time cleaning up some posts. Just so you all are aware, bashing of vendors in general threads is strickly prohibited here at AA, and this thread is borderline at best. Specific issues with specific vendors can be posted in the Vendor Feedback forum. I've removed specific names and if you can keep from naming names and keep posts on topic, the thread may remain. If not, it will be locked down. Thank you all for following the rules.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Wy. I started this thread just so people can see how it is from my side- the dreaded fish store employee. Not all of us are ignorant, and sometimes we get just as frustrated with out customers as our customers get with us. It is not my intent to bash any vendor in specifics. It all depends on where you go and who you talk to.

In my honest opinion, it does not matter where you go to buy fish. It all depends on the individuals you work with. In the end, it is up to THAT person to find out the correct information in order to better do THEIR job.

55 gallon, 46 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon
Talvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvari View Post
Thanks Wy. I started this thread just so people can see how it is from my side- the dreaded fish store employee. Not all of us are ignorant, and sometimes we get just as frustrated with out customers as our customers get with us. It is not my intent to bash any vendor in specifics. It all depends on where you go and who you talk to.

In my honest opinion, it does not matter where you go to buy fish. It all depends on the individuals you work with. In the end, it is up to THAT person to find out the correct information in order to better do THEIR job.
Well said! The simple truth is there are far more ignorant customers than there are LFS owners. Not to say you can't find those who are in it simply for the almighty dollar. As a consumer IMO, it is your job to not only do your research and be informed, but also to find the store vendors who know their information and their job. Just keep in mind that it is fairly easy for anyone to become pretty knowledgable about a limited subset of information (i.e. aquarium keeping in general, goldfish, betas, discus, etc.), it is extremely difficult and often takes years of experience to become very knowledgable about all the information that is out there. I've been doing this for over 20 years, and there are lots of freshwater fish, invertes, saltwater fish as well as saltwater invertes that I know absolutely nothing about. Doesn't mean I don't know the general requirements of fresh or saltwater keeping or that I don't know how to research things, but I certainly don't know the specifics. Employees may not always have the time to say, "excuse me while I google that information for you".

Most pet stores involve a whole lot more than just fish keeping, and a employee may not know much about fish, but may be very knowledgable about keeping small animals or reptiles. Calling people out on their lack of knowledge generally gets us a negative response, whereas politely correcting while offering opportunity for error on their part will typically get us a positive response. I personally always have a lot more respect for the employee who says, "sorry, I don't know much about those fish but let me find someone who does for you" than I do for the employee who fakes it.

On the other hand, I've probably been the ignorant customer at some time in the past, and I'm sure I've walked out of some pet store somewhere with an employee shaking their head or voiding the receipt behind me. Chances are good that we have all been there at one time or another.

Sometimes it is humerous to hear/read these stories, other times it is just sad. But the fact remains that we must do so while respecting the rights of the individual and the corporation.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have a few more short stories to add...

-Had a gentlemen complain that we were selling him sick fish. Asked him what he had... 3 African Cichlids (1 lab, 1 bumblebee, 1 kenyi). Tried to ask how big the tank was, he ignored me. Asked what was going on, and he said "they look fine for the first day or two, and then I turn on the light one day and they have scales missing and their fins are all shredded... You guys should be ashamed of selling sick fish." I asked again... How big of a tank. He sighed, exasperated, and showed me the exact kit he bought. 5.5 gallons. I told him you cant keep cichlids in that small of a tank, he said "oh they are fine... you are just trying to blame me so you look good." Really?

-Was told, in no uncertain terms, that I was an idiot because I told a woman that goldfish don't belong in bowls and that goldfish cant live for more than a few years, because hers never lasted more than 2. Riiiighhhttt.

-Was told I was "just trying to make money off of me" by a customer because I told them that their tank was too small and they would need a filter for any of the fish we carried, and a heater if they wanted anything but goldfish. What were they trying to do? Put four neon tetra in a 1/2 gallon bowl.

-Oh. And I was looked at like I was an idiot because I became HORRIFIED when someone told me how their 100 gallon tank was stocked. "its a big tank... they are fine..." What fish? 2 Tiger Oscars. 4 Red bellied Pacu. 8 Blood Red Parrots. 4 Senegal Bichir. 4 Dragon Fish.

55 gallon, 46 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon
Talvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvari
Have a few more short stories to add...

-Had a gentlemen complain that we were selling him sick fish. Asked him what he had... 3 African Cichlids (1 lab, 1 bumblebee, 1 kenyi). Tried to ask how big the tank was, he ignored me. Asked what was going on, and he said "they look fine for the first day or two, and then I turn on the light one day and they have scales missing and their fins are all shredded... You guys should be ashamed of selling sick fish." I asked again... How big of a tank. He sighed, exasperated, and showed me the exact kit he bought. 5.5 gallons. I told him you cant keep cichlids in that small of a tank, he said "oh they are fine... you are just trying to blame me so you look good." Really?

-Was told, in no uncertain terms, that I was an idiot because I told a woman that goldfish don't belong in bowls and that goldfish cant live for more than a few years, because hers never lasted more than 2. Riiiighhhttt.

-Was told I was "just trying to make money off of me" by a customer because I told them that their tank was too small and they would need a filter for any of the fish we carried, and a heater if they wanted anything but goldfish. What were they trying to do? Put four neon tetra in a 1/2 gallon bowl.

-Oh. And I was looked at like I was an idiot because I became HORRIFIED when someone told me how their 100 gallon tank was stocked. "its a big tank... they are fine..." What fish? 2 Tiger Oscars. 4 Red bellied Pacu. 8 Blood Red Parrots. 4 Senegal Bichir. 4 Dragon Fish.
The 4th story takes the cake for me.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Well, I am no employee, just a customer, and I was at a store that shall remain unnamed. I was looking at fish for my 5 gallon, and was contently watching the platys. I then read the info card, and it said that they were schooling fish. (Which I learned they are not) I said quietly, "well, I can't get those because I don't have a large enough tank to support 5+ platys." Then the employee came up to me, "Oh, that's OK if you can't have 5 platys, they will school with other fish." Then he recommended that I put in my tank 1 platy, 1 white skirt tetra, 1 zebra danio, 1 tiger barb, and 1 bala shark. I thought, "Alright, I don't have a large enough tank for 5 platys, but I have a large enough tank to put in a bala shark? Makes sense..."
Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshObsessed View Post
Is it legal to refuse to sell a fish our a tank to those ignorant people? Hopefully, it is. That is just horrible.
I especially enjoyed "Mr. Jersey Shore and his ditsy girlfriend"
Trying to put a very large fish in a very small tank...sounds about right.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com