Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvari View Post
-Had a gentlemen complain that we were selling him sick fish. Asked him what he had... 3 African Cichlids (1 lab, 1 bumblebee, 1 kenyi). Tried to ask how big the tank was, he ignored me. Asked what was going on, and he said "they look fine for the first day or two, and then I turn on the light one day and they have scales missing and their fins are all shredded... You guys should be ashamed of selling sick fish." I asked again... How big of a tank. He sighed, exasperated, and showed me the exact kit he bought. 5.5 gallons. I told him you cant keep cichlids in that small of a tank, he said "oh they are fine... you are just trying to blame me so you look good." Really?
lol whut!?!? that is beyond insane. I had a few cichilds in a 75 gallon that were territorial, i can only imagine!!

these stories are hilarious. reminds me of my days when i worked for a certain retail giant. now I can keep you going with stories for a while lol

Old 09-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post
Then he recommended that I put in my tank 1 platy, 1 white skirt tetra, 1 zebra danio, 1 tiger barb, and 1 bala shark. I thought, "Alright, I don't have a large enough tank for 5 platys, but I have a large enough tank to put in a bala shark? Makes sense..."
LOL he can barely turn himself around in that thing fully grown.....

Old 09-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

hm maybe this story might not sound as horrific but here's mine.

went to buy fish tanks ($1 per gal sale). I walked in through the door, asked the lady nicely who was working @ the fish area "HI! do you guys have the dollar per gallon sale going on?" she just nodded. that akward moment when you walk away with that kind of reply.
i want more!
Athaocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

At a LFS last weekend I saw a leopard shark (I think, not great at identifying sharks) about 2' long in a 55 gal. Thing could hardly turn around. Didn't surprise me as I consistently see things like 4" puffers or triggers in 6" cubes and such there. Sad.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I work at my LFS and most customers are well informed so I rarely get stressed unless my friends come in. They kept four baby koi in an uncycled FISH BOWL. Traumatizing.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshObsessed View Post
Is it legal to refuse to sell a fish our a tank to those ignorant people? Hopefully, it is. That is just horrible.
I especially enjoyed "Mr. Jersey Shore and his ditsy girlfriend"
It's completely legal to refuse to sell an animal to a customer.

On the other hand, the OP saying they are voiding receipts to avoid having to honor a warranty after the sale is illegal in all 50 states and if pressed would get them and their store in trouble with their state attorney general. If they dig deep and found out it was a common practice by an employee, they could face actual prison time for fraud, but more than likely the employee and store would just face very heavy fines and could lose their business license. There are very specific state and federal laws regarding warranties and retail practices like that.

If you sell the animal and it has a warranty or guarantee, you have to honor it. That's the law. It's no different than selling a TV to a guy that knows nothing about A/V and then voiding his warranty because you are mad at him for buying it.

I agree with the OP that those people should not be buying fish. But breaking the law on consumer warranties isn't the way to resolve the issue.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Where I work, we have the right to refuse the sell if we believe the fish will not be properly taken care of, like a koi in an aquarium. I can't even count the number of times a day I have to explain why goldfish don't do good in "goldfish" bowls and why you can't put a fish that will grow big in a small tank. Usually when I try my best to explain anything to customers I get the response of "well I have this is my tank already and its been doing just fine." Sometimes I want to rip my hair out at the lack of compassion for fish.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some LFSs have specific guarantees that state in writing that a fish will only be replaced if a water sample is given and is free of contaminants that are harmful to fish.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One of my LFS has created a policy where if you buy any saltwater fish they make you sign a log affirming you understand there is no return policy. I flat out refused for a number of reasons. That means they can get away with selling me sick fish (which they have done), plus they do nothing to protect your info on this list. I can see everyone that has signed it, phone number, address, etc. I'm glad I've developed a good relationship with the lady that does the actual purchasing and the guy that pretty much runs that part of the shop.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogety48
Where I work, we have the right to refuse the sell if we believe the fish will not be properly taken care of, like a koi in an aquarium. I can't even count the number of times a day I have to explain why goldfish don't do good in "goldfish" bowls and why you can't put a fish that will grow big in a small tank. Usually when I try my best to explain anything to customers I get the response of "well I have this is my tank already and its been doing just fine." Sometimes I want to rip my hair out at the lack of compassion for fish.
Either rip your hair out or smack them on the back of the head lol!

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com