Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #31
come get me tang police!

Or get a new job.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

One time I had to snip at a lfs employee for trying to "correct" me in front of my children with false information. My 5 yo was looking at some catfish and asked if they where sharks. I told him no and and corrected him. He then asked if he could get one. I told him no, our 75 gallon tank is about finished and we didn't have room for something that will get that big. The store employee buts in and says if you have a 75 gallon you could fit him no problem and that they don't get that big and that he could get him. Of course my son lights up and says yes in excitement. I had to tell him no and that this person is wrong. While looking straight at the employee, I tell my son that this fish gets over 2 feet long and will eat everything in the aquarium and asked him if he wanted all his fish to be eaten. He said no and was all bummed. I had to explain that we had just the right amount of fish in the tank and only room for a few more small ones. I told the employee to go away and complained to the manager.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismiller21 View Post
One time I had to snip at a lfs employee for trying to "correct" me in front of my children with false information. My 5 yo was looking at some catfish and asked if they where sharks. I told him no and and corrected him. He then asked if he could get one. I told him no, our 75 gallon tank is about finished and we didn't have room for something that will get that big. The store employee buts in and says if you have a 75 gallon you could fit him no problem and that they don't get that big and that he could get him. Of course my son lights up and says yes in excitement. I had to tell him no and that this person is wrong. While looking straight at the employee, I tell my son that this fish gets over 2 feet long and will eat everything in the aquarium and asked him if he wanted all his fish to be eaten. He said no and was all bummed. I had to explain that we had just the right amount of fish in the tank and only room for a few more small ones. I told the employee to go away and complained to the manager.
That's just wrong. I always try to make sure I know what is going on before I pipe in. I see kids all the time trying to get fish and parents saying no we don't have the room. That just shows how little that employee knew about tanks.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like to ask customers what they're looking for and see how much they know about fish. Then I know if I'm sending the fish off to good homes.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I guess i landed on the lucky side of things. I work at a family-owned pet store that specializes in fresh and marine fish. We dot sell a single fish without inquiring all the basics. Ive even discussed similar situations with the owner and he said that if a customer is showing gross negligence, we can deny them. Also ive noticed that peoples bad experiences with larger, less educated fish stores have led them to actually trust and believe us. Therefore usually if im helping a customer and i say "id recommend not going with this fish because xyz," they listen a majority of the time.... Except for the genius customer that bought 2 golden algae eaters for his 5.5g tank today.... Against my recommendation
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Many stores, retail giants included, can refuse a return as well...
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogety48 View Post
That's just wrong. I always try to make sure I know what is going on before I pipe in. I see kids all the time trying to get fish and parents saying no we don't have the room. That just shows how little that employee knew about tanks.
Yeah and that's what got me. I am in a convo with my son, trying to teach him about fish and someone just butts in. It was very rude and inappropriate. That's like me going into a toy store and telling a kid you can have a toy after the parent said no. I am at the point that I have a person at every store I go to that I really talk to. If they are not there, I usually just tell them I will get them when I find the fish or supplies I want. Beyond that, I have no communication with them. I won't even answer there questions so I don't have to hear most of their false dribble lol. If I see something interesting, I will make a note in my phone and research it when I get home. I love sites like these for that reason. So much experience and a wealth of knowledge.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Had a girl tell me discus were brackish and they only enjoyed high ph water and high temps. I told her everything I've learned about them she got 1 out of 3 right there lol. She got all pissed and walked off. I walk over to the owner of the store I'm like "this is the first I'm being told these are brackish and enjoy high ph!" he looks at me says "what the discus?" I say "yeah that's what your girl just told me" laughing. He shakes his head and says "no there not." then he tells me everything correctly low ph high temps def not brackish so it just goes to show you it's all who you talk to. But I almost never trust LFS I just come on here if I have questions lol honestly this forum helps me more then anything else.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbanker
Many stores, retail giants included, can refuse a return as well...
Not if there's a warranty. That's illegal!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjohn20

Not if there's a warranty. That's illegal!
Its all in the wording of the warranty, usually theres a provision that states something to the effect of "if its determined the cause of death was due to customer error, warranty is mull and void"

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com