Ever been attacked or hurt by your critters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
African cichlids. Enough said. They can be little terrors. Ive had them nip my fingers above the water while dropping pellets. Reaching in a 60 gallon to move their territory is met with arm bites. The big ones kind of latch on and can break the skin. My buddy who tries to poke everything got his finger bloodied by a 8 inch tiger Oscar I had. He also nearly lost that finger to a monitor I had....

My trigger made a move to go after my hand yesterday. I am always worried about getting bit by him.. especially since his teeth look like this

nt04.jpg

My trigger made a move to go after my hand yesterday. I am always worried about getting bit by him.. especially since his teeth look like this

nt04.jpg

Tonight on Fox 74; a local aquarist tragically loses finger to a murderous trigger fish. It is currently unknown when the fish developed the blood lust but locals in his neighborhood express sorrow and concern for the now rampant killer fish.
"I was sitting at home doing the dishes when I heard the screams. I knew that man kept aquariums but I had no idea he was keeping such dangerous animals."
"I mean yeah I'm sorry for his loss but I have two kids and a dog to think about. What if he escapes? Does he know what to do? If you ask me the city needs to put that killer down."
We contacted city officials but they declined to give an official statement however a low level councilwoman did tell us that "we know that people have their right to keep and enjoy their hobbies, all of them, however when they start threatening the safety and welfare of our community and its residents we must not be hesitant to act to stop more people from getting hurt."

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lol! Funnily enough... when they grow up their teeth turn bright red. I can only assume the coloration is from the blood of their victims.

img_3251022_0_f0a85a4874e214ca1e4c6551bdccbf40.jpg

Lol! Funnily enough... when they grow up their teeth turn bright red. I can only assume the coloration is from the blood of their victims.

img_3251024_0_f0a85a4874e214ca1e4c6551bdccbf40.jpg

Ha! Those teeth!
Look at that smug grin though. I'd keep my eye on him, and watch for any mysterious disappearances.....

Tonight on Fox 74; a local aquarist tragically loses finger to a murderous trigger fish. It is currently unknown when the fish developed the blood lust but locals in his neighborhood express sorrow and concern for the now rampant killer fish.
"I was sitting at home doing the dishes when I heard the screams. I knew that man kept aquariums but I had no idea he was keeping such dangerous animals."
"I mean yeah I'm sorry for his loss but I have two kids and a dog to think about. What if he escapes? Does he know what to do? If you ask me the city needs to put that killer down."
We contacted city officials but they declined to give an official statement however a low level councilwoman did tell us that "we know that people have their right to keep and enjoy their hobbies, all of them, however when they start threatening the safety and welfare of our community and its residents we must not be hesitant to act to stop more people from getting hurt."

Too right!! Should be always on a leash. And the neighbours rose shrub closest to the tank yard has been dying back.....

Surprisingly they were all scared of my hand when I had mine.

African cichlids. Enough said. They can be little terrors. Ive had them nip my fingers above the water while dropping pellets. Reaching in a 60 gallon to move their territory is met with arm bites. The big ones kind of latch on and can break the skin. My buddy who tries to poke everything got his finger bloodied by a 8 inch tiger Oscar I had. He also nearly lost that finger to a monitor I had....

Same thing happens to my and then I adding a new fish and moving the rocks I am always terrified my catfish or pleco will be under one and I will get barbed again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I didn't know better I'd swear I had Parana's , but now I use long sleeve disposable gloves , now they ain't got a chance,

mebbid now those teeth scare me , he probably would take a big chunk OUCH

You got to give them spankings when they do that, but be careful someone might call fps on you lol

If I didn't know better I'd swear I had Parana's , but now I use long sleeve disposable gloves , now they ain't got a chance,

mebbid now those teeth scare me , he probably would take a big chunk OUCH

Maybe the fish have been watching too many nature shows?!

The betta is banned from watching African wildlife shows as he is sneaking up on the fish food, taking it into a death roll and sinking to tank bottom. I've tried explaining that fish flakes are really not that tricky to catch but so far no luck :(

I've never kept an aquatic animal that could hurt me, but I used to have a female betta who would lunge at and try to bite my finger if I held it close enough above the surface. Her jaws weren't big enough to get a grip so she'd just bounce right off.

Sometimes my harlequin rasboras do the same thing when I need to reach into the tank to retrieve something. Sometimes the endlers nibble my hand, too. They all think my hand is made of food. :)

Back
Top Bottom