Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ever been attacked or hurt by your critters?

I was just thinking of the times I have been injured by a tank inhabitant over the years;
I have been:
stung by a medium red volitan lionfish, felt like being injected with molten lead
bit by a small/medium snowflake eel, bled like crazy
bit by a large Oscar, minor scratches and a little bleeding
bit by a needlenose gar, shredded fingertip, thankfully the gar was only about 4" long
thanks to my lame coworker I got stung over the majority of my inner forearm by a large and very healthy carpet anemone, had a rash for a week
scratched, cut, stabbed by numerous little fish spines

but the two that really stand out are;
getting tagged/stabbed by the cheek spines of venomous saltwater catfish, made me extremely ill for days, worse than the lion sting.
and getting very aggressively attacked by a large, 8"+, Naso tang, opened me right up. Luckily didn't need stitches as it wasn't too deep, but about 2.5" long gash. got the obligatory shot in the butt of penicillin and all that.

to this day I will admit that I am a little skiddish when it comes to putting my hand into a tank with tangs.

So what battle wounds have you acquired in your quest to keep our finned friends?

Old 04-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

And to think I liked lionfish and snowflake eels.... Lol definitely something to remember.

I can't say my fish have actually bit me yet but I have to watch my pictus because he can make your hand swell if you touch him. It's their natural defense system.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Old 04-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
And to think I liked lionfish and snowflake eels.... Lol definitely something to remember.

I can't say my fish have actually bit me yet but I have to watch my pictus because he can make your hand swell if you touch him. It's their natural defense system.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Oh yeah, I've been tagged by numerous pictus cats as well.
Happened so frequently I forgot...LOL

and yes, it does hurt like a mother..
Old 04-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Barbed by a 6in+ feather fin cat. My fault as I should of been more careful in the transferring it from tank to tank.

Then my cleaner shrimp attached my hand. No gash or anything, just scared the crap out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OP honestly need a pair of these...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4&pcatid=25864
Old 04-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
OP honestly need a pair of these...

Atlas Nitrile Gloves: Aquarium Maintenance Products

True, but the majority of those incidents happened 30+ years ago when I was operating a LFS, and I don't remember gloves like that being around...LOL
Old 04-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
My 125 gallon tank for my discus research was donated to the university and came with two huge oscars.

These oscars ended up in the 55 gallon I was originally using for this project.

I may have stuck my finger in the oscar tank and let them bite me to see what would happen.

It was not pleasant.

....I might still do it again
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The funniest thing I have seen was one night at a lfs store I hung out at eons ago after closing one kid who worked there thought it was time to feed the about 30"+ Lanceolatus Grouper they had.
this what they look like;

Full grown they can be 10' long and weigh over a ton.
anywho....

He took a large feeder goldfish and held it in the tank.

I wish they had cell phone cameras back then because the look on his face whenever the grouper swallowed his entire hand half way up his forearm was priceless.
I guess he didn't realize just how much vacuum those big boys generate when they strike, or just how big their mouths are...LOL
Old 04-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was thinking of this yesterday when I was fishing my snowflake eel out of my sump...

I tapped him to keep him from going into my baffles and he lunged at my fingers. He is only as big around as a pencil right now but he is going to get larger barring some unfortunate event. He could do a lot of damage to a hand when he gets full grown.. enough that I am considering making a chain mail glove to work in my tank with just in case.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not scary or painful, but my clown just chased my hand around and nipped me the entire time I was doing my wc/maintenance :p. Seems she's become a lot more aggressive since she's started hosting the nem

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
attack, attacked, critter, hurt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com