Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ever Needed Medical Attention

Has anyone ever got something from their aquarium that required medical treatment.
Not the fish.
I am talkin about people from cleaning their tank or something.
Do you always use bare hands and arms reaching , cleaning, ect?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The only time I ever had a problem was my fault. I had surgery on my hand and arm and even though I tried very hard to be careful before it healed, I ended up with an infection (carrying five gal buckets was a blast! LOL). But other than that, no. I've heard that there might be some things that you can catch from aquariums, but I can't think what they are. I would think as long as you are careful, don't put arms/hand with open wounds in the tank, wash your hands when you're finished working in the tank, don't put hands near eyes/nose/face when you have fish water on them, you should be fine. But I know that I've scraped/cut knuckles on the top edge of the tank when I'm scrubbing the glass, never did anything about it (I am SO not a germaphobe!) and nothing happened.

Why? Do you think you caught something? I know that I've seen long water proof gloves to use when you're working in a tank in some of the fish supply catalogues if you're worried.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea

It might just be a cowincidence .
It is called pleuricy.
Very painfull lung inflamation.
Nothing a strong painkiller and ibuprophin cant help.
I ask because I alwayse clean and maintain tank bare.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nah, I don't think that cleaning tanks can cause a lung inflammation. Maybe if you got a lung full of tank water you might end up with pneumonia, but not pleurisy.

I always do my tanks bare as well. I think using gloves would be a pain. Hope you feel better.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanx

thanx
Old 05-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lara, pleurisy is usually bacterial/viral. The hospitals have been seeing a ton of it around here with a rise in respiratory infections. Lots of sinus infections and chest colds morphing into pneumonia and pleurisy. Talked to one of the docs last week and he said he has never seen this many young folks with serious complications from respiratory illnesses before. It's probably something you caught and didn't even realize until it settled in your chest but it's unlikely it came from your tank. It would have likely shown up as an infection someplace else first. (hands, arms, etc)
Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Moved to The Lounge

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 LARA View Post
It might just be a cowincidence .
It is called pleuricy.
Very painfull lung inflamation.
Nothing a strong painkiller and ibuprophin cant help.
I ask because I alwayse clean and maintain tank bare.
I have had pleuricy, years ago back when I was in highschool. It was VERY painfull! I was a teenager, didnt take care of myself, stayed up late, got up early, didnt eat well, smoked, ..... its not wonder I got sick.... I dont think its possible to get that from a fish tank
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, its not Tasha.

Really, Maya? Im in FL and am a neurologic asst. Although we don't treat such things, we always hear when things are "going around". Must be a northern thing. Nothing here yet.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's been terrible here in central Ohio. We have actually lost 2 acquaintances (husband's co-worker and a neighbor) both in their late 40's to complications from pneumonia in the last month and a half. My brother is a critical care nurse at our local hospital and they are seeing 2 or 3 a week on vents. Its starting as a really bad head/chest thing and progressing really fast.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com