Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
Luckily my LFS guys know me, at least the long term employees and the owner do. They don't give me any static about my purchases, always ask me if I have any fry ready to bring in, let me bag my own livestock, and will actually send customers over to me with questions. It's only when they have new employees that I have to break out the brains on them.

Like today.

We were in there looking for DW to do my Congo biotope and pick up a few new fish if they had anything that caught my eye. We've been looking for a male Gold ram since I lost one of my male GBRs last week (his female beat his tail). So I saw one tank of golds but they were all tiny juvies and kept walking, viewing other potential take-homes, when my hubby comes into the room with the owner and a new employee talking about golds. I tell hubby that I saw a tank full of small juvies that would get thrashed in our tank and turn back around to look at the brackish fish when the new guy taps me on the shoulder. So first of all, I don't like being touched by those I don't know. The owner and older employees get hugs because I've known them for years, but dude, no touch mmmmkay. he points to some long finned golds and starts telling me about them being just the same as regular golds but with longer finnage. The owner stops him in his speech and says "that lady probably knows more about rams, their care and breeding than you would know in a lifetime considering she is who supplies us with our blues."

Kid turned bright red and walked away.
Great story. Poor kid, he was probably just trying to impress his boss. I'm sure he'll be picking your brains from now on and trying to get into the 'hug club'...lol

Old 06-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
Luckily my LFS guys know me, at least the long term employees and the owner do. They don't give me any static about my purchases, always ask me if I have any fry ready to bring in, let me bag my own livestock, and will actually send customers over to me with questions. It's only when they have new employees that I have to break out the brains on them.

Like today.

We were in there looking for DW to do my Congo biotope and pick up a few new fish if they had anything that caught my eye. We've been looking for a male Gold ram since I lost one of my male GBRs last week (his female beat his tail). So I saw one tank of golds but they were all tiny juvies and kept walking, viewing other potential take-homes, when my hubby comes into the room with the owner and a new employee talking about golds. I tell hubby that I saw a tank full of small juvies that would get thrashed in our tank and turn back around to look at the brackish fish when the new guy taps me on the shoulder. So first of all, I don't like being touched by those I don't know. The owner and older employees get hugs because I've known them for years, but dude, no touch mmmmkay. he points to some long finned golds and starts telling me about them being just the same as regular golds but with longer finnage. The owner stops him in his speech and says "that lady probably knows more about rams, their care and breeding than you would know in a lifetime considering she is who supplies us with our blues."

Kid turned bright red and walked away.

That story was absolutely amazing..
Well done Dragonfish, Well done.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh I love this thread and there are only twelve posts! More more more!
I went in my LFS and the new hire was in. Keep in mind, I'm a girl and under the driving limit. So this guy walks up and is all "how can I help you sweetie?" First, no. Second, no. Third, no. I go "Well, I was looking for some nicely bred guppies to trade for the bag of black moscows I brought." He says " Oh over here." And points to the box store variety tank. I'm bringing you very nice black moscows and you're thinking I will take some mass produced "Sunsent Yellow Delta Tail guppy Fish" in return? I told him no and he goes whining to the manager. The manager comes back, compliments my fish and apologizes for the employee. Score! Not as good as the other stories though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
I want to change pace with a little bit of a happy story, one I've been dying to share. I don't know the LFS. I wasn't there, I only heard the family whining about it at Walmart. Somewhere in northern Maine is all I know.

Some LFS employee, somewhere out there, refused to sell a common pleco to some idiots with goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. I want to slap that LFS guy on the front of the hand. (imagine that's a high five)
Old 10-10-2014, 02:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
I want to change pace with a little bit of a happy story, one I've been dying to share. I don't know the LFS. I wasn't there, I only heard the family whining about it at Walmart. Somewhere in northern Maine is all I know.

Some LFS employee, somewhere out there, refused to sell a common pleco to some idiots with goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. I want to slap that LFS guy on the front of the hand. (imagine that's a high five)
That makes me happy...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I'm glad some people do it right where they work.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was just at a big box store and this poor guy bought a Betta and a ten gal. He wanted a heater and they were trying to convince him that he needed all these different water purifiers and java moss balls and more fish I was like just no. I tried to talk to him but no luck. Then I told an employee about my tank and they go "oh well African cichlids are great community fish" and "a goldfish or two would do great with a few oscars and your fish". I had told her that I had guppies, cories, tetras and rams. I told her African cichlids are not appropriate for a community tank and goldfish are cold water. She told me I was nuts and should listen to her as she knew what she was doing! I did get in a plug for AA with a family trying to get oscars for a twenty.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76 View Post
I was just at a big box store and this poor guy bought a Betta and a ten gal. He wanted a heater and they were trying to convince him that he needed all these different water purifiers and java moss balls and more fish I was like just no. I tried to talk to him but no luck. Then I told an employee about my tank and they go "oh well African cichlids are great community fish" and "a goldfish or two would do great with a few oscars and your fish". I had told her that I had guppies, cories, tetras and rams. I told her African cichlids are not appropriate for a community tank and goldfish are cold water. She told me I was nuts and should listen to her as she knew what she was doing! I did get in a plug for AA with a family trying to get oscars for a twenty.

People like that make me absolutely livid. The callousness of those who make animals suffer for their profits? Its despicable.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
People like that make me absolutely livid. The callousness of those who make animals suffer for their profits? Its despicable.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
I agree. It's awful. It might surprise some people that some people actually care a lot about their fish. It might surprise some people that some people love and get attached to their fish.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

And sometimes that urge spreads elsewhere when someone keeps commending their LFS associates no matter how many responses or folks agree that the LFS is spreading plainly wrong info. You can lead a horse to water.........

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com