Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
And sometimes that urge spreads elsewhere when someone keeps commending their LFS associates no matter how many responses or folks agree that the LFS is spreading plainly wrong info. You can lead a horse to water.........

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Refering to a specific LFS? Wondering if its one I would know...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ever wanna slap your lfs people in the back of the head?

Oh oh me next, me next! Oh my gosh so I went to my LFS and there was this lady and she was like would like to get a fishie sweety? I was thinking: whoa there who you calling sweetie?! Then I told her I was there to pick up this specific fish (forgot what it was) and I told her I was looking for certain qualities and blah blah blah. I told her I was going to breed them. She was kind of just starring at me. I explained to her my whole plan and everything and of course she was astonished I knew so much for being so young. This happens to me every time!!! There's always someone in the store expecting me to not know what I'm talking about and then I whip the conversation around and look who's teaching who! Oh and don't even get me started on this other employee! I was there to buy sand for my new planted tank and she directed me to some really expensive live sand. Even after I told her it wasn't a reef tank but that it was a PLANTED tank. My friend asked her what live sand was and she says she doesn't know.... Why in the world would you direct someone to buy something that you don't even know anything about? This is why people sometimes have bad fish keeping habits. Sometimes it's not their fault but its the fault of the people who give advice and don't have a clue about what they are talking about. Ok that was a long one I'm done.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Old 10-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wish the Pygmy catfish at my lfs had the correct scientific name on the tank. Still debating telling them it's wrong.

I love my catfish that I got. It's fine they're not what was labeled. But I think the name should be correct on the tank for the species in there...
Old 10-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
I wish the Pygmy catfish at my lfs had the correct scientific name on the tank. Still debating telling them it's wrong.

I love my catfish that I got. It's fine they're not what was labeled. But I think the name should be correct on the tank for the species in there...
I've seen that happen a lot. Not just with Corys but with all different types of aquatic life. They label pretty much every snail at my LFS a "mystery snail". They mind as well have just put black snail.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 10-11-2014, 12:18 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I've heard about that, that mislabeling is not uncommon.

Well they're all mystery snails to them (lfs) lol!

In all seriousness though, creatures need to be labeled correctly...
Old 10-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good god, I love this thread..

It's like an anger management board..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #27
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
Good god, I love this thread..

It's like an anger management board..

Lol - out with the bad, in with the good. I've got to say the lfs range here isn't great but the 2 or 3 I go to it's pretty common that the employees keep fish which I think helps a lot.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

An employee I was speaking to at the store was telling me all about her unfiltered, unheated one gal with a Betta and "algae eater". I told her the CAE and SAE are nasty little buggers and they don't stay quite so little. She said she knew what she was doing.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

I live in a small town, and my LFS isn't bad considering. Selection is limited, though, so I occasionally go to a very big aquarium store in Columbus. They are pricey, but a very cool store to walk around in and their selection is awesome. But their employees are lacking. When I went there for a heater while I was waiting for my Fishless cycle to complete, the employee there tried to convince me what a bad idea fishless cycling is, and she was pretty rude about it. I just ignored her and used her for what I needed. Went back a year later, she's still there, rude as ever. The other employees in there I've talked to don't seem much more knowledgable. I can only imagine the customers who go in there (affluent area) and drop a ton of $$$ in tanks, fish, and bad advice.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Regarding the big box stores, I really don't interact with the staff. No trying to be rude or snobbish. Well, maybe a little. I usually reply with "No thanks, just looking." Occasionally I do overhear interactions with staff and customers and cringe. It's sad sometimes. I would not want to be I their (employees) shoes either. They'd probably fire me for turning away too many customers. "No soup for you!"
There is one LFS nearby and the staff seems knowledgeable. From what I've observed, no absurd stocking recommendations.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com