Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
8O !!!!!!!!!!! But America is a huge melting pot. Now im not saying you should take god out of the pledge or not allow students to pray to god, But i dont feel that other students should have to go to a private schoolneither. We dont teach their beliefs we wont teach ours. I wouldnt mind the idea of making it an elective or anything. my school allows children to pray, and allows us, if we choose not to say the pledge, it allows us time to pray before eating, But it dosnt force us to. just as it allows the hebrew children to pray in their way. Public school should be for all children, of all races and all religions.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am a Pastor, and I respect your comments. I can also sum most of your comments up with this........

I hope I have said enough, cause that's all I will say.

Have a good one....

Old 02-19-2005, 11:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

What grade are you in Rach101?

PS. I encourage people not to base there answers on the experience of others when it come to religon. Go try it for yourself, then make a descision.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
Public school should be for all children, of all races and all religions.
In a perfect world yes. Unfortunatly that would cause more riots in school than you see now. you would have your religiuos gangs, anti christ gangs, so forth and so on. not a good idea in my book.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im in eigth grade. And there are alot of kids with different religions.. No one really cares, I mean if people get in a fight its usually two girls fighting over a boyfriend or two boys fighting cause one called the other a punk. Most kids are wrapped up in being a " gangsta"!? or a " goth " that now one really even thinks about religion. Now once in awhile youll hear skirt-head or something like that but that stops pretty quick.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:13 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Hmm...I'm not going to comment on the school situation because I realize that it has the potential to get heated. I wouldn't want to supress anyone's right to practice the religion of their choice. I also don't think any religion should be forced on anyone. But, I do have one opinion concerning the education of our children. No matter what religion you believe in, if you can find a better guide for life than the book of Proverbs, I'd like to know what it is so I can read it. If you've never read this book, I'd encourage you to check it out. Teaching kids to live this way would be to their benefit. JMHO.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:16 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRaff
Quote:
Public school should be for all children, of all races and all religions.
In a perfect world yes. Unfortunatly that would cause more riots in school than you see now. you would have your religiuos gangs, anti christ gangs, so forth and so on. not a good idea in my book.
I'm curious, what kind of school IS NOT as Rach101 mentioned? I have a public school education and a state college degree. Guess who was there? Students from all races and all religions. Not to mention differing sexual orientation, political beliefs and financial backgrounds. Guess who cared? None of the kids. Just like Rach said, kids are too busy with who's dating who, and how the football team is doing to really care at all about what religion someone is. This is my first hand experience, not conjecture. A childhood with exposure to multiple philosophies, I believe, has given me a much stronger grasp of reality and understanding how to respect others than had I been secluded in a single "mind-set" upbringing (this is my experience and so is my opinion. I know there are others with different upbringing who have differing opinions. And I'm not suggesting that a public education is the only way to have an open mind or respect for others.)

Teaching evolution is science. Teaching religion is philosphy. (neither is 100% provable fact beyond a doubt) And I highly doubt there is a science teacher who is instructed to teach evolution as 100% fact. Nor would anyone be reprimanded to stress that it is a theory. They would (and should IMO) be reprimanded to suggest a religious theory of origin (as the linked article suggests) in a science class (it's a science class, not a philosophy class). I remember it being tought as "The theory of evolution" just as it was "the theory of relativity". So I will NOT be signing the petition linked to and I encourage others not to.

And for an 8th grader, Rach101, I think you already have a pretty good understanding of the diversity of this world. And I suspect you also realise the benifit such diversity brings. Do you attend a public school?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

The proble is that public school is for all cultures, religions and peoples. How can the schools teach all the different versions of creationism without leaving some religions differing views out? Seperation of church and state is a good thing, and I do not want any teacher teaching my kid religion. Their beliefs may not be the same as mine, they will color their teachings with their beliefs (as would anyone) etc...It can easily go to far in the other direction, but I think this is probably a good thing. Not teaching it as fact, but only teaching the theory of evolution. Not to offend anyone, but for the christians out there, what if it was a fundamentalist muslims job to teach the creationism portion of the cirriculum? Or vice versa, you see where I'm going with this.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 02-19-2005, 12:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, looks like I really stired the pot this time , how many people have gone to the link and signed the petition?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah i go to public school. I had a teacher once that tried to give us a bible lesson in class. She ended the class by telling us homosexuals/ sinners/ etc. are going to burn in the eternal flames of hell if the dont go to god and beg for redemption. Myfriend who is gay was so shaken that he went home. Thats just something we dont need. No offense but for some people religion can be an uplifting thing and for others it can be depressing.
But kids really dont think of religion, and dont really make fun of kids cause they really cant help what religion we are.. I mean we can but most likely if your parents are christian you are going to be christian. I think that religion is somthing your moreso born into. It can change ofcourse, but most of the time it wasnt. My mom wasnt particularly religious, and neither am I. Not that i dont read the bible, but i read everything else to, things involving christianity, paganism, buddhism, and a wide array of thing.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com