Evolution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what ever happened to independant thought? Why do we need to be told about everything? The debate against faith vs. science is very intreging to me. I will not bore you with my personal beliefs as these are just that..."personal". I just think that people rely too heavily on the schools to teach "moral" issues. IMHO, there is no room in school for morality. That needs to come from the home. The examples we set and lessons we teach at home are gong to be far more lasting then evolution, the big bang theory or religious creation our kids learn in school. Teach them well at home and, hopefully, they will be able to make an informed and educated decision on their own.

Just a slight question but why is .. another term for homosexual edited ~ quirks eyebrow ~

When I was in school, evolution was taught to me as a theory, not fact. I think its OK to say hey this is ONE idea some people have about how all this came about. But when its taught as the ONLY way, then I start to have a problem. Private school was mentioned several times as an alternate, and my husband and I have discussed it for our daughter, but the fact is , private school costs a lot of money, and we may not be able to afford it. Hopefully when she does go to school, what my husband and I teach her about religion wont go sliding out of her little brain. I hope that she will learn by our example.

well if it is taught in public school they can get in trouble for even talking about evoution because they are contradicting your religion saying that YOUR wrong and that THEY'RE right

personally i beleive in God and that he made everything in 7 days

for the first 7 years of my school life i went to a private school Grace Lutheran School GLS Go Wildcats! w00t

well if it is taught in public school they can get in trouble for even talking about evoution because they are contradicting your religion saying that YOUR wrong and that THEY'RE right

Wrong, they cannot, by federal law, teach creationism. Evolution has been taught for many years and will continue to be taught for many years, the debate here is wheter it is taught as a fact rather than a theory. I think we've pretty much all decided (even those that don't want creationism taught in public schools) that evolution is a theory not a fact.

exactly evloutionary theory shouldnt even exist

Funny you should say that. But how do you explain the evolutionary process of humans (homo sapiens)? Not to mention every other creature and being that is living today. Do you think all of a sudden that we just sprung up cause "god" created us? I don't think so. Ignoring the evolutionary process is just not a possibility.

justmy2cents said:
My problem is, they are teaching evolution as fact with no proof. They have plenty of theories but the only documentation is from a bunch of "lab technicians" that now admit their theory is flawed. 8O

No theory is perfect, but all theories are supported, or they would simply be hypothoses. Archaeological and paleontological evidence give plenty of support and evidence to the evolutionary theory....far, far more so that there is evidence for any other theory, so evolutionary biology is the primarily accepted theory.

And for all the creationists....creationism and evolution are far from mutually exclusive. Within the Christian belief system, the bible is, well, gospel....and that bible states that 'god created the earth and its inhabitants in 6 days'....the same bible also admits that time is irrelevant to god, and that one of his 'years' might be like 1000 of ours....so why not like, oh say...1 billion of ours? God may well have created the earth in an evolutionary fashion over 6 billion years....and the progression of creation as written in the bible is not dissimilar to the documented progression of evolution...think about it.

Not to be saying that other religions dont have the same flaws but we have more physical proof that earth was created like that then by god. We have the bible. and we have teachings that are old.. not to offend anyone but.. only two hundred years ago the thought of a television would have been a " Holy " thing.. Why exactly are we trusting the past when we, respectivly know a little bit more about the way things are now then we did then. Religion to me is a comforting thought when i am sad. I can understand how rudy comes to this though, seems he was brought up by this thinking, which is perfectly okay.

To each his own religion and beliefs.
And Evolutionairy THEORY, doesn't that say enough? It's not called evolutionairy fact, is it?

Billsgate said:
To each his own religion and beliefs.
And Evolutionairy THEORY, doesn't that say enough? It's not called evolutionairy fact, is it?

No, but creationism isn't even called creationary theory....except by creationists.

And for all the creationists....creationism and evolution are far from mutually exclusive. Within the Christian belief system, the bible is, well, gospel....and that bible states that 'god created the earth and its inhabitants in 6 days'....the same bible also admits that time is irrelevant to god, and that one of his 'years' might be like 1000 of ours....so why not like, oh say...1 billion of ours? God may well have created the earth in an evolutionary fashion over 6 billion years....and the progression of creation as written in the bible is not dissimilar to the documented progression of evolution...think about it.

I can agree with this totally. There are just some things that are little minds will never know. Our problem is that we try to figure everything out. I know what I believe. I will teach it, preach it, live it, walk it, talk it. I will not excuse it.

You have your belief,s fine with me. I have had others come to my home and try to convince me of there belief. I thank them for caring for me enough to come and tell me even though I have my own belief. Don't fault someone for believing that they are trying to help you. As a matter of fact you should feel good that they care enough.

As far as evolution and creationism.....I say if your gonna teach the theory of evolution, then teach the throry of creationism.

And for the record I do believe in the big bang theory.......................I believe that God spoke it, and BANG there it was!
:wink: :wink:

<3 8O !!!!!
And for the record I do believe in the big bang theory.......................I believe that God spoke it, and BANG there it was!
You reminded me of my grandmother she says the exact same thing.

You reminded me of my grandmother she says the exact same thing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now I feel really, really old!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS. I am only 28yrs young, but alas, I feel a great deal older in body, but not in mind. My wife tells me I am just a big kid. :p

revhtree said:
I can agree with this totally. There are just some things that are little minds will never know. Our problem is that we try to figure everything out.

One other problem is that for some reasons, many Christian take many parts of the bible word for word...literally....yet, bibically, there are numerous occasions on which god/Jesus use allegory, simile and parable...and nobody knows just how much subtle inference may have been lost in translation into English. Same thing with evolutionary studies...we learn new things every day that cause us to adjust our findings and beliefs.

Whoops!! Sorry... Well my grandmothers only err...65.... Hehe.. But shes alive and kicking. o_O :p Im thirteen so i have an excuse for being a little, kid. Whats yours :p

I will be one of those who has to teach evolution.
I personally have no problem doing so, but I refuse to call it "fact" because there are just as many holes in evolution as there are God creating the earth in 7 days.
Evolution, as a verb/action, has been proven (we don't have appendixes etc) but who knows what happened millions of years ago. I think its nice to give kids another possibility, and if they want to learn/find their religion they should do so at church.

However, I get annoyed by people who want to take "in god we trust" and "one nation under god" out of things. It's so pety to me. Who cares?! Its history! its money!

Anyways, we shouldn't teach it as fact... but offer that form of explanation to students

Whoops!! Sorry... Well my grandmothers only err...65.... Hehe.. But shes alive and kicking. o_O Razz Im thirteen so i have an excuse for being a little, kid. Whats yours Razz

Well......uhhh.......hmmmm........err...........OK, I got it! My excuse is that, well when, I was, see the thing is............Oh alright you got me, I have NO excuse.

PS. Nah, Nah, Na, Boo, Boo!!!!! :icecream: :yum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom