Evolution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aha... i have a feeling... You don't have the answer book... Obviously the symbol for oxygen isnt tomato -.-;;
(( Evil first and fourth period teachers name = Mrs.Young ))

JG, your statements on evolution, science and theory are well put together. However, I think you're statement about evolution being a theory is misinformed. The scientific community accepts it as fact. Please read the link that QTOFFER has put up in this thread. It explains how hypothesis and theory strongly supported by a wide body of evidence and testing become accepted as fact. It specifically relates to evolution. :wink:

I agree with the scientists here, and those that refer to evolution as "just a theory" don't understand what the word theory means in the scientific world. Evolutionary creationism, theistic evolution, and intelligent design creationism (among others) are an attempt to appease Christian fundamentalists and not based on observation, therefore are not theories.

Religion is not a theory, it is a faith.

The bible is wrong if taken literally, period. Observation has shown that things are older than 6,000 years old. Are dinosaurs God's great practical joke?

For me, it boils down to this: words written in a book--that can be interpreted differently for every person who reads it--about something never witnessed, or direct observation of the world around us. In a world where people still believe the earth is flat (see: here ), I think I'll study people's actual observations.

If a person does believe in a literal translation--how do two people make the entire population of the earth? Where do different skin tones come from? Where do different traits come from?

Anything else I have to say would be insulting people, so I'll stop here.

shawmutt said:

The bible is wrong if taken literally, period.

OH yeiks shawmutt! Fact of the matter is, no one knows for SURE what is what. Not a single one of us was there at the beginning of time.

For all we know it was a childs story book..

If youv'e read it you know it ain't no "childs story book", anyway I'm not getting into that arguement. The question was simple, do you want teachers teaching evolution as FACT. period, nothing more nothing less.

This is true, You can't prove God dosen't exist just as I can't prove HE does. But I BELIEVE He Does.

Observation has shown that things are older than 6,000 years old

Going by what standard? It's been proven carbon dating is in error and as you progress further back in the time line the further off it gets. And since I wasn't there when any of this took place I can only offer my opinion (yes everyone has them, most shouldn't be aired in public).

My belief here is that anyone who claims to have all the facts or even one truth is just selling you a bunch of snake oil. Simply truths are proven wrong daily and humans are faliable.

As for the science teaching evolution theory vs fact, i think it would be worth while to teach other forms of creation/evulsion. Which to choose from it is not my place to say. But i wouldnt want anyone to say for sure you have to teach in this way or that.

Since many of you are including your beliefs ill be happy to let you know where i am coming from

I believe in a very literal interpretation of the bible, i believe the Earth and it's creatures (including fish) where created in six days.

To often i see people grouping together Christains as this way or that, i feel that this is an inaccurate way to approach an argument in that if u replaced the word christian with black, woman, or homosexual you might be bordering on racism/sexism.

I guess all i am getting at is that no fact is true and no truth si fact to close yourself and confine your beliefs to a set of sciences, will limit the ways in which you can see the world.

I repeat my question:

If a person does believe in a literal translation--how do two people make the entire population of the earth? Where do different skin tones come from? Where do different traits come from?

Do you believe the earth is flat?

I've read the bible, I've spent years learning the bible, and all I see is ambiguous text and beliefs and stories borrowed from other beliefs and text and stories. Like Jews and Muslims, Christians are certain their religion is the one "true" religion, but in fact is just an accumulation of people's ideas and thoughts. Ask anyone what Christianity is to them, and you'll get different answers from everyone.

It's been proven carbon dating is in error and as you progress further back in the time line the further off it gets.

Show me proof from an actual scientist. I've read the leaflets too, and found evidence to refute them. Even if carbon dating was off by 10,000 or even 100,000 years, it still proves the earth is older than 6,000 years.

Edited to include topic at hand.

Theory, as is correctly defined, is: A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena. All things scientific are explained as that--a theory. Show me one credible science teacher in any school who says that evolution is "fact." The "fact" is you won't find one. The only ones who insist that evolution is being taught as fact are the Christian right, which is why I bring up religion. These people don't just want evolution out of schools, they want creationism in, which introduces my future children to a religion I don't think they should be a part of.

Get this discussion back on topic or it will be locked, for those not able to keep along, the topic is...Whether evolution should be taught as a theory or fact, religion is not a part of this discussion.

Abert Einstein said:
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

Some comic I heard Somewhere said:
If man came from apes, why do we still have apes around?

Back on topic...
When it comes down to it, the real education should come from your parents on matters like these. Personally I don't think anybody has it straight. Einstein said "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." I can see that. Personally I think they should teach it all of it or none of it. That way it gives everybody something to be ticked off about (except for those who actually want to form their own opinions).

In regards to the petition linked to by the original poster: I am NOT against any form of religion or teaching creationism or any other religios beliefs on how the world began. However, IMO, religious teachings belong in a theology/philosphy class, NOT a science class. Would you teach theories on physics in your bible study class? It just doesn't belong there. As this thread clearly points out, the two subjects are at odds in their very deffinitions. Teach science in the science class. Teach theology in a theology class. IMO, a public school system with an exposure to world religions (no single religion given any more ground than another) would do well to help us understand each other. But that cannot be tought in a science classroom; It is not science.

Once again, I ask you do NOT sign the petition.

If youv'e read it you know it ain't no "childs story book",
Keep in mind that girls were also married off as soon as they were able to menstruate back then too. -.-;

Keep in mind this has nothing to do with the original topic.

Since this topic does not seem to be able to stay on topic and it seems to have run it's course anyway...I'm locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom