Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2005, 08:34 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

God, science and evolution can coexist. The wonderful thing about scientific knowledge is that it's perpetually tested. It is much easier to prove scientific thought than religious. One is purely physical and the other is purely faithful. In addition, noone can force anyone to believe anything they don't want to believe. The body of scientific knowledge requires an open mind for acceptance. If one chooses not to accept it, that's fine with me.

IMO misconceptions about evolution abound in this thread. First it isn't the theory of evolution. It was Darwins theory of evolution. The scientific community at the time coined that phrase because in his book "Origin of the Species", Darwin based his opinions on observation alone. Science requires much more than observation to be accepted. Thus the word theory was used at the time, and the phrase stuck.

Again, my opinion, but the body of scientific knowledge supporting evolution is vast. The geologic record is simply there. The evidence has been accepted based not on paleontology alone, but on our collective knowledge of chemistry, biology, geology, and even astronomy.

Just like it isn't heresy to believe the earth revolves around the sun, it isn't heresy to believe in evolution. Rather it's a confirmation that Gods hand in creation is miraculous indeed. JMO

Old 02-20-2005, 12:36 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is what the sticker in question says:

"This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered."

I think the sticker is superfluous. Chapter 1 of any good general science text will contain a discussion about testing hypotheses using the scientific method. If slapping a sticker on the science textbook will make people feel less threatened by it, how about this:

"This textbook contains material on biological science. Biological science as we now know it consists of many hypotheses that are subject to continuous testing and modification. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered."

Not even the most die-hard evolutionary biologist could find fault with that statement.

This article may be of interest. It was written by Douglas Futuyma, a world renowned evolutionary biologist/entomologist. Dr Futuyma was my mentor in college.
http://www.stephenjaygould.org/libra...ma_theory.html

Old 02-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #53
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I spend quite a bit of time with my classes at the beginning of each school year discussing the difference between a "scientific question" and a "belief" You cannot set up an experiment to prove or disprove a belief and therefore questions of religion are not scientific. This does not mean that a person's religious beliefs are "right or wrong , good or bad", it simply means that they cannot be addressed through scientific methods. For example, if you believe that you will have bad luck on Friday the 13th, I really cannot disprove or prove your belief.

My second point is that a great many of the "great scientists" , Father Giodormo Bruno, Galileo Newton, Einstein, etc. were extremely religious and viewed their scientific inquiry as a method of understanding their creator better. Einstein had certain reservation about quantum because " God does not play dice with the universe."

My third point is that evolution is a theory. A theory atttempts to offer an explanation of the nature of the universe based upon evidence. It is not by definition a Scientific Law, but is a very strong theory. I tell my students that a teacher's job is to present the evidence, their job is to decide which they will accept. However, when they are tested on the material, the answers given must address the theory and the evidence that accompanies it. THis is to ensure that they do understand the theory and the evidence and they they will then be better equipped to make their choices.

As a science teacher, my job is to present scientific theory, law, etc. I am not a theology teacher ( although I do read quite a bit on my own). Now if the states require that creationalism be taught as part of the science curriculum ( again I disagree as questions theology are not scientific questions) whose creation story do we teach? Only Judeo-Christian? How about Hindu Creation? Perhaps Navajo creation stories?

As I tell my students, I really don't care whether you choose to accept scientific theories or choose to accept a religious belief system. What I care about is that you are educated enough to make that decision. Church's provide the info for theology, public schools provide the info for the scientific theory.

If we mandate that schools cannot teach science or must add a disclaimer, then are we really equipping our children to think for themselves. I maintain that if your religious beliefs are that strong, nothing I say will affect your belief system.

JG
Old 02-21-2005, 11:05 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents
Ok, looks like I really stired the pot this time Rolling Eyes , how many people have gone to the link and signed the petition?
I hate to break this to you, but online petitions don't mean anything. Petitions on paper with signatures and addresses do.

I really don't know what I believe at this point in my life. I was brought up Christian, but I don't have the level of faith that my mother does. I'm too busy trying to figure out what happens when we die to worry about how it all started.

I always thought the the theories could coexist (as others have already mentioned). For some time after the big bang, the universe was very bright in different ways (gamma rays, x-rays, infrared). Physics as we know it break down the closer we get to the moment of the big bang. Maybe if they actually solve it (unified force theory) then we'll know (or least have an idea about God).
Old 02-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRaff
Quote:
My problem is, they are teaching evolution as fact with no proof.
Your right. this should be taught in a public theoreticel sciences class or something like that.

I didn't learn about "Evolution" until a college course covered it briefly, although I would have liked to have been exposed to it much earlier. We also learned it as a theory. It was also discussed in a science course, not a history course, so it was understood that there are limits to the scientific knowledge of the human mind.

The wife and I were reading about corals and fish last night and were amazed at how little we actually know about marine life. Much of it is theory without facts. If they had to place a sticker on my "Aquarium Corals" book for every theoretical statement made within it's pages, the book would weigh an extra 5 lbs.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
Its taught as a theory though..
Quote:
As a science teacher, my job is to present scientific theory, law, etc. I am not a theology teacher
>.> Soo.. your a teacher... ~ coughs ~.. Happen to know a Mrs.Young?... happen to uh.. have all the answers to last nights homework..? ~ coughs ~
Old 02-21-2005, 01:27 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
>.> Soo.. your a teacher... ~ coughs ~.. Happen to know a Mrs.Young?... happen to uh.. have all the answers to last nights homework..? ~ coughs ~

ROTFLOL:

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #58
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[
>.> Soo.. your a teacher... ~ coughs ~.. Happen to know a Mrs.Young?... happen to uh.. have all the answers to last nights homework..? ~ coughs ~[/quote]

Ok - yesss... I know Mrs. Young - so which one are you ?
Old 02-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
Quick... What are the answers to problems 2-57! Gogogo!
Old 02-21-2005, 05:19 PM   #60
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

1. a
2. b
3. c
4. 42 ( the answer to the ultimate question)
5-57 All D

I give ... how are you connected to NH and Mrs. Young?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com