Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Evolution?

Got this in the email a couple of days ago. Anyone want to weigh in with an opinion?

Dear friend,

On January 13, a federal judge in Georgia ordered that
stickers that had been placed in textbooks stating,
"Evolution is a theory, not fact," be removed. In fact,
he said such criticisms of evolution are an endorsement
of religion and a violation of separation of church
and state!

This ruling is outrageous, and suggests that evolution
is to be taught as fact and, therefore, the only option
to our children!

I staunchly oppose this edict and am urging you to do
the same by signing the "Our Kids Deserve The Truth"
petition by clicking below:

http://www.cfra.info/163/petition.asp?PID=7994682&NID=1

Through this effort, we want to call national attention
to this debate by rallying at least 100,000 citizens who
oppose this outrageous ruling, and who insist that
evolution be taught as a theory, not as a fact!

Our kids deserve the truth about evolution!

Thanks for taking immediate action with me.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-19-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
I don't understand the big deal here. ofcourse I don't have children but, If I did I would say I have the choice of sending my child to a private school, as I did, and I would also have the choice of sending them to a puplic school.

If you want your children to learn about god, private school.

If not, Puplic school.

simple choice really!

it seems now and days that people are more wooried about someone elses kid, and what there learning when they should worrie about there own family and mind ther own biz.

Old 02-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My problem is, they are teaching evolution as fact with no proof. They have plenty of theories but the only documentation is from a bunch of "lab technicians" that now admit their theory is flawed. 8O

edited by reefrunner69
If you want this discussion to continue, mind your p's and q's, there are many people here that could be offended by any slurs against their profession, it will not be tolerated. Feel free to dicuss this and state your opinion, but be mindful it is your opinion and respect others that may have a differing opinion.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-19-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
My problem is, they are teaching evolution as fact with no proof.
Your right. this should be taught in a public theoreticel sciences class or something like that.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
I hate it when we get bible lessons in school. Face it, if we answered a state test with " The earth 560000 years + was flooded by jesus all except for noah and the animals in pairs, and thats why the dinosaurs died " then youd get it wrong. So why try. If you want to learn theology, go to a church.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach101
I hate it when we get bible lessons in school. Face it, if we answered a state test with " The earth 560000 years + was flooded by jesus all except for noah and the animals in pairs, and thats why the dinosaurs died " then youd get it wrong. So why try. If you want to learn theology, go to a church.
Just to clarify, the Bible does not mention that dinosaurs were present at the time of the flood.

Evolution is a theory, and relatively speaking, a not very well supported one. This is why it's a theory and not a fact. Much like the Big Bang theory. My belief in creationism is just that, a belief. I have no more proof than an evolutionist or a Big Bang Theorist, I just know it to be true, hence it's a belief.

Let's not make this thread a heated debate about who's right and wrong, it'll probably get locked anyway.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
-.-; i know that. I was just saying though, I don't mean to offend people by this.. But there is asmuch physical proof of god, then there is of the big bang. So we have the bible, well what if a group of guys decided to get together and write some kind of crazy fairytale.. Someone finds it. thinks its real, and bam! new religion.
Im not saying there is no god, but im not saying there is one. But the point is, if you try to look at the bible for answers for classwork/tests/ect. Your not gonna do so well in class
Old 02-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Ill blow everyones minds with this comment.

Some local school boards met with parents recently to decide if they wished to continue the bible criculium. I dont know the full extents but I belive the jist was that there is 'free time' in the day or week that is degisntated for elective type subjects and one of those deals with relegon. Local school boards that recently stopped supporting/offering this program was meet with great distress from parents and the end result was bringing the program back.

Taking god out of the plege and not permitting student athletes to pray before games is ludicrist. If your that anti relgion or anti catholisium (i belive thats teh correct term for relegons who belive in one god) then maybe those parents should send their kids to private school.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Personally i agree that it isn't 100% factual because no one was there when it happened. I also feel that biblical teachings are extremely wrong as well. The evolutionary process HAS been proven many times. I would rather see them teaching the evolutionary theory as just that; it is a highly probable theory that in 90% reality is absolutely true. I will never send any kids of mine (none yet) to a school that teaches the biblical way. I am afraid i will tell the teachers where to go and why it is incorrect.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 02-19-2005, 11:11 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Your not gonna do so well in class
I must disagree on this. True anwsers to most scoal and physical science questions wont be found in 'the good book' but there are many life lessons to be learned that when applied to not only school work and school itself but life one can truly find an 'inter peace' to cope with stressful situations. To a true beliver when faced with something/someone they feel is insurmountable one can find inter peace by looking to their chosen relgion. Once they have found this peace often their minds clear and one is able to tackle projects or issues they would otherwise not been able to.

Honestly I feel relegon of all types is more of a socal construct to help explain the unexplainable or establish groups that one can develop a sense of being and purpose.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com