Ew! Exploding Toads!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh yuck...
I have about 4 toads that live in my front flower beds... I will have to keep an eye on them.
They are my buds... I feed them at night.
couple of earth worms... few moths... I love watching them eat... :)

Toirtis said:
Thats really sad....I know far more people that deserve such a fate....toads are nice.

HAHA so true

I really hope it isn't an unknown virus.. and if it is an unknown virus, i hope it only affects toads and never evolves to infect anything else

well come to australia and see a toad hunt. toads are real pests and every once in a while groups of people go on a toad hunt. in normall circumstances however, if a toad is found in the house, most people catch it in a ice cream conatiner and freeze it.

The thing is though, they might be economically a pest, but enviromentally they are a piece of an intricut puzzle and you get rid of too many... there will be a huge problem

lyquidphyre said:
Toirtis said:
Thats really sad....I know far more people that deserve such a fate....toads are nice.

HAHA so true

I really hope it isn't an unknown virus.. and if it is an unknown virus, i hope it only affects toads and never evolves to infect anything else

Yikes...Youd be saying your prayers every time you got that "bloated" feeling!

Boy, hope that doesn't happen here!

I have delayed the opening of my pond due to the dang toads! They had their little romance in my upper pond (my wife was fascinated by the process, he he), and now I have a zillion toad tadpoles in there. If I turn on the pumps, many many will be swept down the falls where the giant Comet goldies await them for dinner! The pond they are in only contains local minnows of various sorts, mostly too small to eat the tads. I guess I'll give 'em maybe 2 more weeks or so, then its every tadpole for himself!

lyquidphyre said:
The thing is though, they might be economically a pest, but enviromentally they are a piece of an intricut puzzle and you get rid of too many... there will be a huge problem

I think that the problem was, toads WEREN'T part of the environmental puzzle "Down Unda" until a foreigner brought them over. Then, with no natural "controls" (predators/enemies), the population grows out of control.

More on topic...
I thought of the ALka-Seltzer thing as well. I hope that isn't the explanation....

ok, so if it were alka-seltzer, when they do an "autopsy", is that something that would show up easily enough so they could start looking for a culprit?

The "Alka-Seltzer blows up Seagulls" thing is an urban myth. Check Snopes.com if you'd like. Since it doesn't explode seagulls, I don't think it's blowing up these poor toads.

corvuscorax said:
The "Alka-Seltzer blows up Seagulls" thing is an urban myth. Check Snopes.com if you'd like. Since it doesn't explode seagulls, I don't think it's blowing up these poor toads.

Hey - look at that. Guess I just never questioned it. Good to know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom