Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2014, 03:07 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Experiment: Extreme cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
Daaang Rak nice work!!!

Thx!! I am very much looking forward to your nitrite experiment!!

Rak9378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
www.aquariumfertilier.com
They sell some! It is used as a dry fertilizer.
Greenleafaquariums.com also
I think you're thinking of _____ NitrAte mixes. I do have some of that so I'll make a chart for nitrates soon. I was talking about getting something that is ______ NitrIte for testing purposes. No aquarium shop in their right mind is selling that, because no one would be dosing their tank with it on purpose! (except when cycling where I believe it could be really useful. NEW EXPERIMENT ON THE WAY)

Old 03-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've seen 7.4-7.5 as optimum pH for nitrification and am aware of the loss of benefits below 6.5 and halting at 6.0, but I've never noticed (meaning I haven't looked at) too HIGH pH. I'm sure I've read papers where it's mentioned but didn't pay attention. Do you have any references handy? Otherwise I can go look it up myself.

Edit: Well here is a good one! http://www.dmww.com/upl/documents/wa...g-bacteria.pdf
This is a really interesting one too because the wastewater plant wanted to DELIBERATELY inhibit nitrification, which seems like an unusual move for a treatment plant.

On an unrelated note... Every topic I post in this area loses its focus and turns into a science discussion :P Mind you I am NOT complaining, lol.

On track, test results for today were the SAME. Boo! Nothing is happening yet! It had better happen soon or my theory will be BUST and I will be a sad panda!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:49 AM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I've seen 7.4-7.5 as optimum pH for nitrification and am aware of the loss of benefits below 6.5 and halting at 6.0, but I've never noticed (meaning I haven't looked at) too HIGH pH. I'm sure I've read papers where it's mentioned but didn't pay attention. Do you have any references handy? Otherwise I can go look it up myself.

Edit: Well here is a good one! http://www.dmww.com/upl/documents/wa...g-bacteria.pdf
This is a really interesting one too because the wastewater plant wanted to DELIBERATELY inhibit nitrification, which seems like an unusual move for a treatment plant.

On an unrelated note... Every topic I post in this area loses its focus and turns into a science discussion :P Mind you I am NOT complaining, lol.

On track, test results for today were the SAME. Boo! Nothing is happening yet! It had better happen soon or my theory will be BUST and I will be a sad panda!

How many days are we in now Jen?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:07 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Twas day 9. Not worth panicking yet, but we need to see something soon methinks. I'm not going to get impatient or jump the gun though on calling stalled. Interference too soon would be folly.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nah I think you've got another 4-5 days yet.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:54 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

We have liftoff!

Ammonia had a DEFINITE drop, unlike my erroneous color readings before. I made a 2ppm and 4ppm reference solution and my diluted tank solution was definitely right in the middle, so I'm confident to say ammonia has dropped from 16 to 12.

And more importantly, .5 nitrItes. I actually expected this reading today, because yesterday's nitrites compared to a 0 reference solution was just BARELY tinged. Like barely, like .05-.1ppm tinged. But I could tell it was off JUST enough that I KNEW today was going to have a real reading.

We're off and running, and I would say this is EXACTLY on schedule (day 11 for first nitrite reading)! No stall yet from 16ppm ammonia. So, with no water changes, can it finish?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:39 AM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
We have liftoff!

Ammonia had a DEFINITE drop, unlike my erroneous color readings before. I made a 2ppm and 4ppm reference solution and my diluted tank solution was definitely right in the middle, so I'm confident to say ammonia has dropped from 16 to 12.

And more importantly, .5 nitrItes. I actually expected this reading today, because yesterday's nitrites compared to a 0 reference solution was just BARELY tinged. Like barely, like .05-.1ppm tinged. But I could tell it was off JUST enough that I KNEW today was going to have a real reading.

We're off and running, and I would say this is EXACTLY on schedule (day 11 for first nitrite reading)! No stall yet from 16ppm ammonia. So, with no water changes, can it finish?

Let's hope so! How is the ph?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:41 AM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Let's hope so! How is the ph?
pH holding at 7.37 (I got a pH monitor! Wish I had this the whole time). kH seems to have dropped about .5. Do you think that both pH and kH will drop together, or all the kH will drop first?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:43 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would expect kh to drop to till there is enough hydrogen ions to tip the balance.

Tags
cycle, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com