Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #191
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
How does ph up work. If it doesn't add carbonates then maybe you could use it as an experiment?
No clue, what is in it? I think that "pH down" is phosphoric acid (which would solve at least one person's cycling problems that I can think of in newbie area) but I don't know what pH up is. Probably because there are so many other easy ways to raise pH.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #192
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Or better still don't add any baking soda at the start of the next cycle. Since your tap water has very low dkh and an averagish ph you could does your 16ppm ammonia and just leave it be. IF it stalls and dkh depletes down to 0 and you add baking soda and it Kick starts again then you have nailed it and you can have the Nobel prize.

The penny has dropped now I do see what you are saying.
I think my pH is not high enough to start with, I am pretty certain I will have the pH crash along with everything else. Both of the times I have cycled before I had a pH crash. The first one was on my main tank and its how I found this forum, the other site didn't teach about pH crash at all.

I'm trying to remember the details of my 2 fishless cyles...
The big one was stalled a long time, that was before I knew about kH though. I eventually tested the pH and that was how I knew.
Then a couple months back I cycled a bucket and it had a crash, but I did not use kH then either.

I have an idea that will refine your idea. I can use gH booster to raise the pH without raising the kH. Seachem Equilibrium. It's possible to have high pH without a high kH if the pH is from calcium and magnesium. So if I start a cycle with pH 8, it could stall before the pH crashes.

My theory may not hold water overall, as it's difficult (although possible) to imagine a situation where the kH could deplete without the pH really showing this significantly. But I hypothesize that it's POSSIBLE

Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #193
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Btw apparently sodium bicarbonate will try to keep the ph level at 8.4 (we know this already) this is where it gets tricky.

If the ph is say 9.4 then the bicarbonates will lend hydrogen ions back to the water to reduce ph to whatever the buffers preferable ph level is. From a baking soda point if view this is 8.4.
But it's not true 8.4?
I read that you can't "overdose" it since it will stop at 8.4. Does the problem only apply if your starting pH is higher than 8.4?

I mean I guess in good news, that is a really rare pH to be so high
Old 04-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #194
Aquarium Advice Addict

... Have you guys noticed you can put in a custom title instead of "Aquarium Advice _____"
Join the team :P Membership is open to all who opt to include themselves!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #195
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone else have bandwidth/supplies to try a "Set it and forget it"? Even if I can do it a dozen times, it's only applicable to my own water. You don't have to test like a spaz like I do, just see if it works. Can do it in a bucket!
You need: filter, heater, ammonia, baking soda, fish flakes (or if you use dry ferts, your phosphate mix)
Old 04-03-2014, 02:56 AM   #196
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
But it's not true 8.4?
I read that you can't "overdose" it since it will stop at 8.4. Does the problem only apply if your starting pH is higher than 8.4?

I mean I guess in good news, that is a really rare pH to be so high

"as the pH tries to rise, Carbonic Acid will first dissociate, into Bicarbonate plus one H+ ion, or further into Carbonate plus two H+ ions. (Dissociate is just a Chemist’s way of saying, split up). As it dissociates (towards the right), it releases, first one H+ ion, then a second one. Since pH is the ratio between H+ and OH- ions, what is happening here is that as the pH tries to rise, more and more H+ ions are released into the water and reduce the value of the pH back to what it was before it began to rise"

"Reading from right to left, if the pH begins to fall, the reverse happens. Carbonate will grab hold of, first one, H+ ion then a second one, as it changes to Bicarbonate then to Carbonic Acid. This reduces the number of H+ ions and so will increase the value of the pH back to what it was before it began to fall.

Chemicals that try to keep the pH at a particular value are called “buffers”. These are stroppy little compounds. They like to get their own way. There are a great many of them and each has a preference for a particular pH. When placed in water, they immediately change the pH of that water until it is exactly where they want it. Not only that, but they will selfishly try to keep it there. Sodium Bicarbonate is one such chemical. When it is dissolved in water, it immediately tries to adjust the pH by releasing or absorbing H+ ions. If you remember that the value of pH is “something to do with the balance between H+ ions and OH- ions”, it is obvious that anything that either releases H+ ions or mops them up, can alter the pH to it’s preferred value. When the pH reaches 8.4, Sodium Bicarbonate stops releasing H+ ions or absorbing any, so Sodium Bicarbonate is called a buffer with a preferred value of 8.4"

That's what my reference says
Old 04-03-2014, 02:59 AM   #197
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
Anyone else have bandwidth/supplies to try a "Set it and forget it"? Even if I can do it a dozen times, it's only applicable to my own water. You don't have to test like a spaz like I do, just see if it works. Can do it in a bucket!
You need: filter, heater, ammonia, baking soda, fish flakes (or if you use dry ferts, your phosphate mix)

I do have a 6 gallon I could cycle. You might have to send me some ace ammonia or whatever it's called and I'll give you the money?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 AM   #198
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Below 8.4, Bicarbonate absorbs H+ ions and the equation moves to the left, making the water more alkaline. This continues until the pH reaches 8.4 when the process stops"

"Above 8.4, Bicarbonate releases H+ ions and the equation moves to the right, making the water more acidic. This continues until the pH is 8.4 when the process stops."

I forgot to add this bit on to that post before
Old 04-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #199
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I do have a 6 gallon I could cycle. You might have to send me some ace ammonia or whatever it's called and I'll give you the money?
Yeah I could do that. It might be too expensive though to be worth it (even if we split the shipping). I wonder what the smallest amount I could send would be to keep the weight down. I'll think it over tomorrow what kind of container I could put it in.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #200
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
"Below 8.4, Bicarbonate absorbs H+ ions and the equation moves to the left, making the water more alkaline. This continues until the pH reaches 8.4 when the process stops"

"Above 8.4, Bicarbonate releases H+ ions and the equation moves to the right, making the water more acidic. This continues until the pH is 8.4 when the process stops."

I forgot to add this bit on to that post before
I think I get it now, that site had an excellent explanation. Helpful that it holds pH at such a nice nitrification point :P

Tags
cycle, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com