Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh I forgot to post my daily

pH 7.8 (by the way....the API test is whack. I used my stick, then used the API test which said at least .4 lower, then calibrated the stick with two solutions only to find it was spot on, then used the stick again to verify)

Nitrites and nitrates don't *seem* to have changed. But it is at the point now that the color variations are just... impossible. I even did a 40x dilution and still wasn't sure. I really, really need the color key. Some things that I MUST have on hand before the next cycle.

TDS 139, down a bit
kH 11, down a smidge
PO3/4 (phosphorus) seems down a bit, which makes sense as the nitrite->nitrate bacteria use it the most

Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #202

So after hundreds of post aboit buying the accurate api twst and get away from cheap inaccurate "lfs" test your now posting against all that and saying your stick reading is better or more accurate then the api water test kit. Lmao. I give up...good luck

Blue's Galaxy S4

Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #203
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've found the strips are more out for nitrites and nitrates - plus mine don't have ammonia which is the one I really need. Interesting as those are the time delay readings.

I thought the digital meter was great however it seems to have slipped calibration.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
Adding baking soda to provide correct kH for entire cycle:

To create 7.14ppm
10mg/L OR 37.8 mg/G

PER L/G PER ppm ammonia

Samples:

16ppm ammonia in a 20g aquarium. 37.8 mg * 16 * 20 = 12096 mg or 12.1 g
8ppm ammonia in a 70L. 10 * 8 * 70 = 5600 mg or 5.6 g

HOWEVER

This does not account for the pH drops due to acidity created by the bacteria. For example, this cycle I am working on stalled because of a pH crash, but I had not finished using up all of the kH. So it didn't run out of kH - it first produced so much acidity that it overwhelmed the buffer and dropped below the level of nitrification. (confirm?)

Papers on nitrification simply advise a general 10:1 ratio. So instead of doing 7.14ppm, we just add 10ppm per 1ppm ammonia. This amount is

14 mg/L per 1ppm ammonia, OR 53 mg/g per 1ppm ammonia.

So in my test cycle for example, I should have added, to start, 53 * 16 * 20 = 16960 mg = 17g of baking soda. 1 tsp is about 5 grams. You can see back on page 1 that I added only 1/4 tsp baking soda to the initial setup. I did not add more until the pH crash.

SOLVED! We can do the set it and forget it. OMG! I have to find something else to cycle!!!

I will start something new on Saturday after my big project is due.

Jen I'm just confused here. It's probably me don't worry. I'm just curious where the 10mg/l came from?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not talking about crappy test strips which are junk. If you're going to pop in and be rude on a 21 page thread then you need to read the entire thing first. The api test is fine for most but I need more accuracy in this experiment.
That's at the phish guy

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict

Caliban I'm not sure it's correct. Is just that only the portion of the nahco3 that is co3 is carbonate for the alkalinity, so I only counted that when figuring out ppm "stuff". Using the Molar mass of the three ions, 10mg total nahco3 would give 7.14mg of just co3

Old 04-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #207
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Caliban I'm not sure it's correct. Is just that only the portion of the nahco3 that is co3 is carbonate for the alkalinity, so I only counted that when figuring out ppm "stuff". Using the Molar mass of the three ions, 10mg total nahco3 would give 7.14mg of just co3

Ok yes I keep forgetting about the carbonate part of baking soda. Sorry
Old 04-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure if I should include the h in but it's so small anyway and it would make the dose a smidge smaller so I think better to be a smidge over. Also I would use the 14mg dosage since I read that 10:1 carbonates is used in wastewater nitrification systems

Old 04-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #209
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure if I should include the h in but it's so small anyway and it would make the dose a smidge smaller so I think better to be a smidge over. Also I would use the 14mg dosage since I read that 10:1 carbonates is used in wastewater nitrification systems

10:1 what is the 1?
Old 04-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #210
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

How exactly did you calculate this I'm a bit lost.

Tags
cycle, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com