Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2014, 12:53 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rak9378 View Post
I'm still not 100% convinced. Thren's awesome experiment and the "OTC" reading was for ammonia and I was referring to Nitrite. The color references for Nitrite posted by Rare, which was an awesome find, only goes up to 2ppm. That said, it occurred to me that Dr. Hovanec doesn't disclose the Nitrite concentration he used in that experiment. So I think this is something I will dig into a bit further. Maybe an email to API to see what they have to say about it.
Which paper? The one on nitrospira has the amounts in the graphs of how high nitrites reached. I can't recall the most that was reached off the top of my head.
If you mean another paper I am very, VERY interested in that as I've only read his nitrospira paper.

Someone in the "Getting Started" area coincidentally just had their nitrates so high that they got zeros in test. They did the test three times. Then they did a 50% water change and the test showed 80ish. So if this happens it might be dependent on which test we are talking about.
I can guarantee you that when cycling I have had ammonia levels higher than 16ppm... I have seen the vial so dark green that it was like a deep forest green-black, even darker than my OTC vial. So I'm not sure if there is a point where it zeros out for ammonia.

Also, I need to do some more looking into this weird pH color that I had. I'm starting to feel "suspicious" about it somehow.

Here were today's test results for the cycling tank. No changes today, at all.

TDS 94 (not statistically significant difference)
kH 6-7
pH 7.4-7.5
Nitrites 0
Ammonia ? I didn't test again after earlier test, where it appears to be at least 14ppm
PO3/4 7

Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
Which paper? The one on nitrospira has the amounts in the graphs of how high nitrites reached. I can't recall the most that was reached off the top of my head.
If you mean another paper I am very, VERY interested in that as I've only read his nitrospira paper.
I was actually referring to the YouTube video I posted a link for earlier in the thread. He actually shows how the API Nitrite test gives a zero reading when Nitrites are actually much higher than what the tests are capable of registering. But now I'm questioning this as he doesn't disclose the nitrite level in his sample. He also says that this applies to the ammonia test kit. As you just tested yourself, the kit is able to register a very dark green for 16ppm, so how high does it have to go for the false zero? And at that level is it really relevant for the general hobbyist? I have sent an inquiry to API to see if I can get there perspective. I will report back if I hear anything.

Rak9378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:55 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

32ppm,64ppm,128 ppm
Not necessarily in that order mixed up my vials. But I'm sure you see my point.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395723275841.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	230023  
Old 03-25-2014, 02:00 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Note to self....in order to avoid false zero reading when conducting next fishless cycle don't dose more than 200 ppm of ammonia...
Old 03-25-2014, 02:18 AM   #75
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rak9378 View Post
I was actually referring to the YouTube video I posted a link for earlier in the thread. He actually shows how the API Nitrite test gives a zero reading when Nitrites are actually much higher than what the tests are capable of registering. But now I'm questioning this as he doesn't disclose the nitrite level in his sample. He also says that this applies to the ammonia test kit. As you just tested yourself, the kit is able to register a very dark green for 16ppm, so how high does it have to go for the false zero? And at that level is it really relevant for the general hobbyist? I have sent an inquiry to API to see if I can get there perspective. I will report back if I hear anything.

I have seen an article on this. Will see if I can find. From memory conditions mostly outside normal tanks were needed to get odd readings eg very high ph. Wish I had kept it now.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:21 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Left to right. .. 320, 640, 1080 ppm nitrate
Interesting to note they are all exactly the same color.
They are however, as you can see, A, color

I'll make a nitrate spectrum chart next (when I have time)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395728404313.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	230026  
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

This is great stuff!! I wish there was an easy way to test nitrite like this!!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know Nitrite is going to be near impossible to get exact (plus I can't forcibly dose it somewhere to try to achieve off the chart readings)
What could I use? Potassium Nitrite? I don't think you can buy that easily since it is an ingredient for explosives...
Old 03-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
I know Nitrite is going to be near impossible to get exact (plus I can't forcibly dose it somewhere to try to achieve off the chart readings)
What could I use? Potassium Nitrite? I don't think you can buy that easily since it is an ingredient for explosives...
Search in Ebay
Old 03-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
Search in Ebay
Haha! I don't think you can easily buy it there either!

Tags
cycle, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com