Fabulous New Species!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a planted 20 high with gambusia. I just added 2 spotted salamanders. The smaller one is 7 and a half inches long. They are black with 2 rows of dorsolateral spots from head to tail. Here are my first pics. They don't do justice to the beauty of the specimens. I need to get a good top view.

Attachments

• spotted_salamander_front_view2__large__823.jpg
    spotted_salamander_front_view2__large__823.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 27
It's a cool fish but I can't see how a 20 gal will be near enough space for them. Are you planning on getting a larger tank for them? What do they eat?

I'm still working on those issues. Meanwhile, it's been fun photographing them and watching them check out the tank. One got out already, so I have to find a way to block the hole for the heater.

plecoperson said:
Aren't spotted salamanders mostly terrestrial?

Well, two things: First, I caught them in my pond; while dredging it this spring. Second, I have noticed that they do go up to the top for air every so often. Since I have the egg case, I might just let the adults go and focus on rearing the babies.

plecoperson said:
Perhaps they were in the pond to spawn?

That's exactly right. I've done the research on their life cycle now. The egg case has the characteristic features of the species and the young live in the water for 2-4 months. I've moved the adults to a terrarium and am anticipating watching the young grow up.

Back
Top Bottom