Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2004, 08:37 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
BTW, to include some things said a while ago, anti-Bush IS NOT anti-american. I believe it is more patriotic to question how things are done and not just conform with everyone. that is what america is based on. [waving american flag]

Old 08-25-2004, 09:55 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

conservative = supporter of status quo, against most change
liberal = supporting change/progression away from status quo or more tolerant of non-status quo ideas (not necessarily in all areas)

??? I'll admit it, I've never been really good at definitions, but this is how I've always known it to be. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong

Old 08-25-2004, 10:07 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Freak

very good, rubysoho, here is websters

liberal
Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

advanced, avant-garde, big, broad, broad-minded, enlightened, flexible, free, high-minded, humanistic, humanitarian, intelligent, interested, latitudinarian, left, lenient, libertarian, loose, magnanimous, permissive, pink, radical, rational, reasonable, receiving, receptive, reformist, tolerant, unbiased, unbigoted, unconventional, understanding, unorthodox, unprejudiced

Conservative
Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.

bourgeois, cautious, constant, controlled, conventional, die-hard, fearful, firm, fogyish, fuddy-duddy, guarded, hard hat, hidebound, holding to, illiberal, inflexible, middle-of-the-road, not extreme, obstinate, old guard, old-line, orthodox, quiet, red-neck, right, right-wing, sober, stable, steady, timid, traditional, traditionalistic, unchangeable, unchanging, uncreative, undaring, unimaginative, unprogressive, white bread
Old 08-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

hehe yay! can I get a star by my name for that one? Yes, I'm in college, and yes I still have the mentality of a 5th grader sometimes

**oops, typo had to be fixed
Old 08-26-2004, 12:16 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstixs05
very good, rubysoho, here is websters

liberal
Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

advanced, avant-garde, big, broad, broad-minded, enlightened, flexible, free, high-minded, humanistic, humanitarian, intelligent, interested, latitudinarian, left, lenient, libertarian, loose, magnanimous, permissive, pink, radical, rational, reasonable, receiving, receptive, reformist, tolerant, unbiased, unbigoted, unconventional, understanding, unorthodox, unprejudiced

Conservative
Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.

bourgeois, cautious, constant, controlled, conventional, die-hard, fearful, firm, fogyish, fuddy-duddy, guarded, hard hat, hidebound, holding to, illiberal, inflexible, middle-of-the-road, not extreme, obstinate, old guard, old-line, orthodox, quiet, red-neck, right, right-wing, sober, stable, steady, timid, traditional, traditionalistic, unchangeable, unchanging, uncreative, undaring, unimaginative, unprogressive, white bread
I agree (like I have a choice ) with most of the definition. BTW there are some traditional values that should remain steadfast, my big one is, marriage should be between a man and a woman. This "nontraditional" (there, that shouldn't get me bleeped) marriage movement is very disturbing. That is one area that we (as a society) should shut the door on and fast. Talk about moral decay.
OK can of worms opened. 8O
My other pet peive is political correctness. What good does it really do? IMO, it allows certain groups of people from having to meet or maintain a certain level of conduct that the majority need to be accountable for. It's also dangerous in this era of our history. If we could for a moment set aside this concern of who we are offending, we could better protect out own borders. There, second can of worms opened.
I am conservative in most areas but I do have my weak spot when it comes to the environment. I am a total tuna boat chasing, greenpeace loving liberal when it comes to this. I believe we should persue alternative fuel sources (besides it would strangle the hell out of the middle east). I also believe we need to protect out parks, wildland and wildlife and especially our oceans.
I guess you could say I like animals better than society.
But please don't try to tell me what the dems have done for the enviroment. They are all talk and no action in that department.
Ok, flame away. :P
Old 08-26-2004, 12:21 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry, double post.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:36 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree qs, I have seen no real action by any president to do what we should in the area of the environment. The problem is that they are trying to get the vote, and they are losing a lot of votes in jobs relating oil, logging, fishing, and other environmental areas by trying to protec wildlife. The problem is that animals cannot vote, so threrefore, most politcians do what will get them the most votes. on a little side note to the marraige issue, I believe that two people coming together in love should all have equal rights (i.e. child legality, spouse benifits) unregarding MM,MF,FF, because the only argument I have heard against it relates only to religious beliefs, which the separation of church and state should prevent. mods and advisors, please tell if this is getting "out of bounds"
Happy Fishkeeping
Old 08-26-2004, 12:48 AM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstixs05
on a little side note to the marraige issue, I believe that two people coming together in love should all have equal rights (i.e. child legality, spouse benifits) unregarding MM,MF,FF, because the only argument I have heard against it relates only to religious beliefs, which the separation of church and state should prevent. mods and advisors, please tell if this is getting "out of bounds"
Happy Fishkeeping
Happy fishkeeping to you too!! :P But..............
I will give you another argument. What species of animal on this planet (I think we can agree that we are animals) practices lets say this kind of activity? I can't think of any, not to say there are not anomalies, but wouldn't that be the exception? No mammal can procreate this way, so therefore I propose that it is not normal behavior. In a family based society where (here comes the conservative in me) tradition family values are in decay as it is, be a potential problem for the future? What is next? I'll leave that answer up for discussion.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:01 AM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't tell Quarryshark, but I have the same views as him on everything he's mentioned on this page (page10).

Hmm.. suddenly my feet are feeling colder.. *looks down and sees ice forming on the floor*

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 08-26-2004, 02:30 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Freak

You, make a good point qs, but then, shouldnt we force all married couples to procreate? What is the difference between intergender and "normal" marraige if they booth are not "poppin' out babies"
I for one know that it inst an easy decision, and dont feel it will be concluding any time in the near future.
BTW, QS, you make great points and it is nice to have someone here to discuss topics without it turning into arguments

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com