Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-27-2005, 11:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I love anything with wizards, elves and all of the "other people", sorcery, dragons, etc. I agree that it has to be believable, has to make some sense.

Weis & Hickman - Dragonlance Chronicles
J.R.R. Tolken (of course) - Lord of the Rings
Harry Turtledove

Old 12-28-2005, 10:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Keep in mind that "fantasy" doesn't necessarily wizards and dragons. It can be a myriad of things. Star Wars is in that genre. The "science" of it works like magic and there is no explanation of it whatsoever. Fantasy...

Excellent! What other characters do you think have been overplayed? Personalities, etc.

Also what point of view do you like to read.
So far I've been leaning towards third person limited rotating, any thoughts?
There's a lot of characters that are cliche. It's easier to list them as archetypes rather than individual characters as they are played and played again. Even better would be to list individual traits that are portrayed differently than they would exist in "real" life.
  • The hot, rich girl that has nothing better to do with her time than risk her life to save the world --- out.
  • The lone wolf who although shunned by everybody around him, somehow feels obligated to save those that ostracize him --- out
  • The kid who's technical prowess allows him to make all manner of gadgets that --- can't even finish this one, out
  • There's many more. These are just my top pet peeve characters.
Basically keep it real. Honestly, one of the things I use when I write is sayings about people. When thought about, you'll find that they are very often based on truth. For instance "Never fight a guy who is uglier than you; he has nothing to lose". That may sound kinda funny, but it is very true on many levels. Society favors the beautiful (sorry, but this is true). The ugly guy has most likely had to fight (or at least work hard) for everything he has. He's used to fighting and will put up a much stronger fight than somebody who has been given things. I use the term ugly very loosely though as it is a comparative word to begin with. But you get the idea.

As far as perspective is concerned. I just go with who's point of view makes the most sense. Think of perspective as your camera. If it makes sense to use wide angle to show the whole scene then do it. If you want to get up close and personal from a single character's perspective, then do it. If you do it correctly and cover the "seams" so to speak, you can really bring a sense of suspense and mystery where there may not have been any before.

Another thing to think about is correctly writing the antagonist in your story. Being able to write a character that people "love to hate" is harder than writing a character that everybody likes. Victoria Ash in the Vampire Clan Novels is probably the best written character that falls into this category that I know of. There's 13 books in the series and she's in a few of them. Very well written character.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com