FDA and fishtanks in the workplace?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reeffrog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a major dilemma. I recently started up a 38gal freshwater tank in my cellar. I am hoping to use it through the winter to fatten up some baby koi that will be added to my pond come springtime. After relocating the Koi, my dream is to move the tank into my office at work. I have had a Beta on my desk since April and would love to do a community tank. A great deal of time is spent at work and I find fishtanks very soothing. I think it would be a benefit to everyone. My issue is that even though I have no objections from the 3 gents I share the space with, my boss has expressed great hesitation on giving her blessing on expanding past my one gallon bowl. I work for a Medical Device Manufacturer and she is concerned about the FDA. My room is separated from the shop floor but is not part of the main office that houses the cubicle farm. I don't think that the location matters as long as there isn't anything housed in the tank (amphibians) that could find it's way onto the shop floor and come in contact with product. I have tried searching online for anything to support my cause but all my searches come up with irrelevant FDA/fish farming content. I am looking to this forum for advise.

The best thing I could suggest is to contact the FDA directly.

The best thing I could suggest is to contact the FDA directly.

I would be very careful in contacting the FDA. If you end up bringing an FDA audit to your workplace, because of your inquiries, I imagine you would be out a job very soon.

Depending on the industry and how they might interpret the offense.. for instance if product has to be recalled. You could be end up being the scape goat/poster person for legal action.

Your QC or safety should know the regulations.

Back
Top Bottom