Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

fear factor and piranahs

i was flicking through channels and saw fear factor and that normal terrified look in the contestants eyes when they see a giant tub full of something. so i was naturally interested what was freakin the crap out of these people lol well it was a big tub of about 500 piranahs. now i dont know about u but a bunch of dirty people in water thats not being filtered cannot be good for these fish... then the guy put his foot in and he says "man thats freezing" now it may just be me but arnt piranahs tropical so the water was at the coldest like 78? thas not freezing in my experience. plus these people are jumping on thses fish and hitting all so they can get pig uteruses from the bottom with there mouth. what do they do with whatever fish are still alive in the end? they can be in a healtly state? these stunts dont take like 5 min lol. ok my rant is done but what they did just seems a little inhumane for the fish. whats your opinion?

Old 07-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think PETA would be on this already? Or perhaps piranahs aren't fuzzy enough for them. You can sumit info to them if you want to be active about it. You could also contact the show and find out what is done with those fish after the show, and what was done to protect them during the show.

Old 07-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I'm sure the show took the neccesary precautions with the fish, I would hope so anyways. Also, 78 degree water does feel kinda chilly to humans, so it's entirely possible they were in humane temperatures.

Not condoning the acts, but I don't see too much wrong with it as long as they plan to return the fish and treat them in a humane way.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
Heh, I think the pigs whose kidneys they used probably had it a lot worse.

http://www.nbc.com/Fear_Factor/files/files_408.shtml These look like young pacu, actually. Which is great. All we need is another 500 homeless pacu. I would definately contact them to see what happened to the fish afterwards - it probably wasn't good.

PETA's been all over this show for a long time. But the problem with them is nobody takes them seriously anymore, and they have no real power to do anything besides complain. I would think contacting the ASPCA/HSUS about it would be more effective. I know they have to be on set for movies with animals in them. I'm not real sure about TV shows. Reagrdless, fish generally aren't covered in animal welfare legislation - just certain warm-blooded animals. But still, contacting the ASPCA and producers of the show may affect whether they do something similar in the future.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic
Reagrdless, fish generally aren't covered in animal welfare legislation - just certain warm-blooded animals.
The hypocrites... only protect fuzzy creatures. Humans and fish don't count.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against animal cruelty, I just think alot of the big organiztions have odd priorities.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
The hypocrites
Yeah, wasn't it some PETA folks that were coming back from a meeting and hit a deer and then had the nerve to sue the state, becasue of the deer overpopulation?!?!!?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 07-31-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Quote:
The hypocrites
Yeah, wasn't it some PETA folks that were coming back from a meeting and hit a deer and then had the nerve to sue the state, becasue of the deer overpopulation?!?!!?
Oh my! I hadn't heard that one.

I couldn't find the story on any of the familiar news sites, but here's a bunch of editorials on the matter:
http://www.oakdalegunclub.org/press.html
http://www.animalrights.net/archives...02/000064.html
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...06/ai_n9109379
Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
fear factor and piranahs

Yeah, this was early last year or the one before that. I heard it on a local radio morning report, heck, it might not even be true....Actually, that 1st on sounds ALMOST like it. But I can almost swear they were suing over the fact that the State hadn't given out enough licenses to keep the deer population in check.....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 07-31-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskidmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic
Reagrdless, fish generally aren't covered in animal welfare legislation - just certain warm-blooded animals.
The hypocrites... only protect fuzzy creatures. Humans and fish don't count.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against animal cruelty, I just think alot of the big organiztions have odd priorities.
Well, Congress wrote the Animal Welfare Act, not PETA. PETA (and others) have been working to change it. But many, many species got left out (mice, rats, birds, fish, reptiles) mainly because they are used in scientific research. You're right though, it seems that only the animals we're sentimental about have gotten any kind of protection. I also agree with the big groups having weird priorities. There are lots of good groups out there doing grassroots work, you just don't ever hear about them because they're not out to promote themselves like some others are.

Here's what PETA thinks about us, btw: http://peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=30

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

actually there waya huge thread on this that got locked becasue of a huge argument on it. it was all kinda dumb actually. but people always have opinions right

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com