Feasibiltiy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattAquaBio

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, my grandmother REALLY loves gardening, she's nearly 70 years old and is constantly out in the Georgia heat toiling away in her garden. To make matters worse she barely eats anything at all, like going two or more days at a time without eating until someone calls her and "reminds" her to eat. (Dunno why she does that). And to top it off she might have lung cancer. So i was thinking today of a way to allow her to grow her flowers like she wants without the heat. Window boxes could work but she gets frustrated by the fact that she is so limited with what she can grow in them, (some plants requiring direct sunlight, some partial sunlight for short amounts of time, etc). So i had an idea of getting a 20 gallon long, or maybe an even larger aquarium and putting the soil the way she wants it, (she's very specific), then letting her plant her seeds in the aquarium. I could use a hood with CF's or something to grow them with (would it be strong enough? or even WORK for them?) Then she could control the amount of light the plants get, along with strength (depending on strength of bulbs?) and the temperature and other nifty things.
So is it feasible? Could it work?
Also she could put it anywhere in her house rather than just in a window which i'm sure she'd like.
Just an idea...

Edit-she also just loves nature and outdoors, so maybe i could rig up one of those cool little stream things in the aquarium , maybe a frog to go with the plants? Any other animal suggestion or specific frog? (not lizards or snakes, she'd have a heart attack).

i think to get the lighting u need u would have to go metal halide. but if u search hydroponics(spelling?) u will get alot of the information u are seeking.

you know, gardening is what got me into fishkeeping.

I bought a condo. in a building. I have no yard. I am a single girl, so having a house wasn't practical in FL where condos are readily available.

I love plants. I love to garden. I was raised on a farm, where we grew our own food. I also spend my teenage years as a florist.

Fishtanks to me are my gardens. Mine are at least semiplanted. I spend daily time caring for them.

Get her a whole tank. Planted with fish. ahe will love it.

I would get her a whole tank and i'm sure she'd like it, but she'd kill it before long. She can do plants but she would neglect the fish i'm sure, forgetting to feed them and stuff. Besides that, she would probably get frustrated with all the testing and complications that goes along with it.
I got a 40 gallon for her today, i havent put lights on it just yet but i'll get around to it (still scrounging for money, just signed a lease on a new car today... Feel like i'm drownin in this stuff).

The local pet shop here has these terrariums that are like a tank with the front glass gone, only a little strip at the bottom for holding in dirt/soil/whatever. They give you full access to the plants from the front. These are really hooked up w/ all kinds of automatic misting machines and stuff... Really cool...

That sounds like a reaaaaaaaaally fun DIY project...
Anywho, i'll have to see if i can find one of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom