First fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zactheninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What was your first fish?
And how did you get into fish keeping?

My first freshwater fish was a syno granulouys. I'm sure I spelt that wrong but it's a cat fish from lake Tanganyika.
My first saltwater fish was a yellow watchman.
Great little fish.

I got into fish keeping because I was always around fish tanks and aquariums.

Attachments

• image-2535145549.jpg
    image-2535145549.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 68
My 'first' fish(the first one I can remember- it was a while ago!) were a pair of koi angelfish. And guppies! Always guppies.

I vaguely remember my grandma having some goldfish maybe in a tank when I was like 5, my little sister dad had a Gf in a bowl and a fish I only remember being called a barracuda in a 10 gallon... It could have even been a 5 gallon : / I always wanted to keep fish but never really had the means to. So about 2 years ago I started my first 10 gallon.- a bit addicted ever since... Happy to finally have my 55 up and running, next, discus!

2 angelish
2 firemouths
2 silver sharks
Several tiger barbs

All 1 week after setting the tank up
The bloke in the shop actually let me leave with that lot knowing it was a new tank.
This was 1988 and i was 13
Just goes to show that some shops just want the money.

With me now being older and wiser with an abundance of information on the hobby these days, i started the hobby again 15 months ago with 5 head and tail lights. I've hardly had any problems this time around, especially compared to back then.

Guppies or kitten?

It was the beginning of the 1970's...

My grandparents had sheep on a little farm in central California. One trip out there I was running around exploring and found a large water trough for the sheep and it had guppies in it, tons of them, after all they are guppies! It was fed by a canal/ditch system.

I don't know how they even got in there!

My grandparents also had a cat which had kittens so I wanted a kitten and some guppies, but ended up up with only a kitten - could only have one and parents picked the cat (lived for 16 years).

But after the long journey home and a few weeks we ended up with beautiful Delta tail guppies, and Neons, and a couple of striped kuhli loaches, and Marble hatchet fish, natural stones, fake plants and a Banana plant! WOW-WEEEE! Very happy!

We were near a very big hobbyist area and had guppies which rival all the internet pics of prize guppies, they were amazing.

(Boy was I disappointed when I went to the local chain pet stores as an adult looking for some nice guppies and saw what mostly would have been feeders, back then, here in the tanks for sale :( ! )

So I got both guppies and a kitten! Spoiled! lol Really my mom liked the guppies too. (y) Thanks, that was a fun memory!

My first tank at 16 or so years old was a hex, maybe 25ish gallons. The pet store sold me that and 5 oscars at the same time. You can imagine how poorly that went!

A few years later (or decades, if you really want to be picky) I'm still keeping fish, though its been off and on. At a point in life where I can support both my family and my hobbies, I'm a happy girl with my 4th tank ready to set up this weekend. :) This will be an angel breeding tank, as I just had two pair up and start spawning in my main tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom