Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
Getting a little carried away, IMO!! Guess you could say the same thing about any pet owner that abuses their pet. Maybe the pet stores need to educate their staff more versus hiring the first person who'll take the job!!
I live in Alberta and have never heard of any such ban!
I just wanted to say that I agree somewhat on what was said here. The first is getting carried away I think. But being a newbie and the 1st fish recommended to us being mollies & platys with no information on them I'd say education should be required! Unfortunately because of pure ignorance, we have kill quite a few fish in the past year. I think (and hope!) we are getting the hang of things now!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkooq View Post
Dumbest thing i've heard..

First off there are plenty of these "Fish keeping EXPERT hobbyist people" As so they would call themselves, that started off knowing as much as a 2 year old about fish keeping.

And classifying this hobby of keeping fish for intelligent people? I'm hoping is a joke? Because you give someone a 1, 2, 3 step anyone can create an aquarium as good and healthy as this "intelligent fish keeper"...

Its not about how smart you are to keep a fish.. Its about the willing to learn to keep the fish as close to its natural habitat as you can.. Because if you want to talk about inhumanity keeping fish in a 10/20 gallon tank there whole life is as inhumane as feeding guppies to oscars..

And then when something goes wrong--the water quality is off & a disease gets loose, 1-2-3er starts dumping all kinds of chemicals in thier tank...why do so many fishkeepers wake up one morning to a tank full of late fish? All night long those fish were battling some kind of ailment while fishkeeper was sleeping like a baby. Oh well.

I guess it just depends on what type of person you are. I'm trying to desensitize myself to my fishes ups and downs. But it is very difficult and the difficulty is born of my inability, for lack of intelligence, to observe and diagnose problems with my tank. And then deal with them. I think this is common.

Perhaps it is not fiscally feasible, but I personally would not mind if the tank hobby, somehow, just went away. But since this may not happen in my life time, it's good that there are places like this, Aquarium Advice, and other local community members, groups who do have some, to a lot of know how/education and are helping people who believe aquarium aminals' lives are worth the risk of decorating thier homes, or who just don't think about things.

I don't mean to sound argumentative. I'm a guest here. & I definitely agree with whomever is correct on issues. I've just been thinking about things and I'm not sure I like the idea of the amateur aquarist.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you have an issue with people keeping fish why would you be on this site?
Don't remember the question, the answer is large PWC's, Prime, and OVERfiltering...
nextgeneration40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextgeneration40 View Post
umm, check me if I'm wrong here but a TROPICAL fish stands about as much chance of surviving a Canadian Winter as I do of performing Gymnastics...
Hey! It only gets down to -40 once in a while where I am!

-30 is a tropical temperature to me during the winter!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #35
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Moved to The Lounge.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wat about Canadian fish breeding?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextgeneration40 View Post
If you have an issue with people keeping fish why would you be on this site?
Dunno. Just curious other people thoughts, I guess. Doesn't seem fish is a very sacred creature sometimes, at least not to person who doesn't learn a lot before adopting one. This site helps people learn. Too much of it on the fly, but what can ya do? It's not AA's fault. People do what people do. & sometimes all you can do is help them clean up after the messes they get themselves into.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm coming late to this party, but the logic of "many people don't treat fish correctly, therefore keeping fish should be banned" doesn't hold for me." I worked for a privately owned full line pet shop for 9 years, an aquarium shop for a year while in college, and then for PetSmart another 18 months. I'm sure there are many on this site who have simialr or more experience. I've seen almost every kind of animal be mistreated by owners who failed to do the proper research before getting an animal, bought it (or took it home) anyway and either ended up having to give it away or worse yet simply let the animal live in squalor. I don't think the answer is banning pets.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae123

Perhaps it is not fiscally feasible, but I personally would not mind if the tank hobby, somehow, just went away. But since this may not happen in my life time, it's good that there are places like this, Aquarium Advice, and other local community members, groups who do have some, to a lot of know how/education and are helping people who believe aquarium aminals' lives are worth the risk of decorating thier homes, or who just don't think about things.

I don't mean to sound argumentative. I'm a guest here. & I definitely agree with whomever is correct on issues. I've just been thinking about things and I'm not sure I like the idea of the amateur aquarist.
K first off what? If you don't want people to have tanks then give me yours! Then you don't have to think about it! As far as amateur! Everybody is an amateur before they become a pro!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
K first off what? If you don't want people to have tanks then give me yours! Then you don't have to think about it! As far as amateur! Everybody is an amateur before they become a pro!
Where do you live? Can you come pick it up? You have to take all my fish with it, though.

2. Doctor does not care for patient til they are qualified. Some people think tank is an easy hobby, but it get's tricky sometimes. Then fish die, maybe. Is it, "oh well I'll just buy some more"? Or is it "hey maybe I'm not ready for fishkeeping"? And what does it take for a person to be "ready". Or doesn't it really matter that much?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com