Fish ban in Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huh....

No person shall keep live exotic wildlife in captivity except under the authority of a licence and in accordance with the regulations.

That's kind of an interesting thought.

Make people pass a simple ten question before getting a simple license (that can be purchased from the fish store).

Topics to include: nitrogen cycle, fish needs, stocking requirements (all very common sense).

Could spend an afternoon with a pamphlet and pass it, but be that much more prepared.

Firstly, you can't fix stupid. People that don't care for thier animals won't no matter what training and requirements are in place. Furthermore, funny thig with common sense is it isn't very common. Licenses aren't really gonna do much but what else can be done short of a ban. Perfect example is motorists, there are way to many terrible drivers out there. They had training and passed a test, that doesn't make them good drivers. Do I want to see any of this happen? Not at all but what is necessary must be done. We all started as amateur aquarists and most of us if not all still are. There are plenty of things to learn in this hobby and Not one of us knows everything. Does that mean we are bad fish keepers, no. Unfortunately a few stupid people can ruin it for the masses. I personally will do what I must to enjoy my fish, if that involves a license so be it as long as it helps clean up this hobby and keep stupid people from owning these animals. However if these steps are to be taken with fish then they to look at protecting other animals also, an all or nothing scenario. Protect pets or don't but don't protect one and not the other. That's my contribution, PEACE

Here is the item in question Bill 125 needs to be opposed. It is a a long way from becoming law, especially in it's present form.

Thanks BillD! It's a bit backdated (2010) so strange I've never heard of it before. Interesting though.

Huh....

That's kind of an interesting thought.

Make people pass a simple ten question before getting a simple license (that can be purchased from the fish store).

Topics to include: nitrogen cycle, fish needs, stocking requirements (all very common sense).

Could spend an afternoon with a pamphlet and pass it, but be that much more prepared.

I think this is a feasible option. But it turns out we don't get to decide :lol:

I can understand that this rumour has been around for years - but to be told by a LFS is another thing - not so much of a rumour quality to it.

Back
Top Bottom