Fish ban in Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm coming late to this party, but the logic of "many people don't treat fish correctly, therefore keeping fish should be banned" doesn't hold for me." I worked for a privately owned full line pet shop for 9 years, an aquarium shop for a year while in college, and then for PetSmart another 18 months. I'm sure there are many on this site who have simialr or more experience. I've seen almost every kind of animal be mistreated by owners who failed to do the proper research before getting an animal, bought it (or took it home) anyway and either ended up having to give it away or worse yet simply let the animal live in squalor. I don't think the answer is banning pets.

It may not be the answer, but it is an answer. I respect very much the opinions of those who know more about things than I do. I'm just not "getting it", I guess. Seems people are telling me that, in general, aquarium keeping & industry is a good thing. OK.

I'll just have to adjust my present line of thinking. This may or may not be possible. But, for the sake of not ostracizing myself from those who believe firmly that this is a situation not in need of rectification, I can at least try.

It's just the poor fishes...

I personally think that the problem is at the lfs. Many of them give false info on care. Maybe the ban should be in people who don't know what they're doing selling fish. Just a thought.

So many people drive irresponsibly, and thousands are killed each year by stupid motorists.

But we still can buy cars...

I bet people get hurt every year with TVs falling off walls. I got a nasty cut on my hand when a light fixture cover fell off my bedroom light and shattered everywhere because it was installed incorrectly. People have been killed by refrigerators falling on them by rocking them. And some idiot has even gotten himself killed by a ceiling fan.

My point is, people are stupid. Drawing wide conclusions about an entire hobby because some people are stupid is, well, futile.

No, I just mean the fishes. Maybe they are not so complex as a bird or a gerbil--but they are much more easily incorrectly cared for, and the fact that nobody seems to mind other than to say "oh well, nothing can be done" should tell me something about how much emotional energy I should be investing in these little creatures. A little, I guess, but not too much. Apparently it's just a fish. OK, lesson learned.

p.s. Don't rock the vending machine.

I'm a PIJAC member and i can tell you that the governement works on dogs selling law to remove the right to sell to pet store... For now they are not on fish...

But in Canada they will not ban it!! they will put so much taxes and law on how to keep, ship and sell fish that canadian will buy their fish on internet in USA...

You cant ban somethong for the reason mentionned!! Some people treat dog, gerbil, hamster and everythong the same way!! Its not only the fish!!!

They should ban human as the problem is us and nothing else!!

Oh we could kill all oscar as its inhuman to let them eat!!!

There is a lot of carnivorus animals that need to be ban....

To be an experienced fish keeper you need to start some where!!

If every hobby when analised; no more boxes, no more horse race, no more circus, no more artificial fishing lake, no more meat at the grocery store cause no cow has enough space if we look to their real needs!!!

Remember that Canada is more about putting 1000 laws and taxes to discourage people but they dont ban...

Sorry but some animal rights people just go way to far! To be honest, if you wanna put it where no cows have the right amount of space. We eat them! That's cruel, but it's just an animal. Look at your cat or dog the same way.

Have the time the group doesn't even no anything about the animals they are trying to save and end up killing a bunch! In my town we have this thing called gala days. It's where kids would go catch a turtle raise it and feed it then race it on gala days. PETA or peda no idea how it is Spelt. Walked in and so no it's to cruel.

They said the turtles wouldn't mate when they go back into the wild but how did they no? Did they go swimming with them? We have always had an abundance of turtle and since they have banned the races there hasn't been an increase. I would assume they would breed again it's instinct, is it not? Look at your fish, or even your turtle. Think it would breed right now if the condition are right? Everything does as long as the conditions are right.

I actually kind of agree with ae123. Not in the sense that it should be flat out banned, however, but more that better care should be achieved if you want to get into the hobby in the first place. The problem with supermarket like stores that have 100s of one particular fish at your disposal is that it seems to cheapen their life somehow. If someone can run out and buy a few bags of fish whenever they want, they may not take it as seriously. Most customers say to me "Well, if it dies, I can just come back and get more tomorrow." Yet if we didn't overpopulate and order way more of a certain fish or other animal than we can reasonably accommodate.. maybe people would see it as more of a luxury and less as a divine right.

And hey.. I get that most people don't see it any differently than selling feeder fish. Feeder fish have been a constant source of mental confusion for me. I feel bad for the fish being bred for slaughter, but ultimately see that they are serving a purpose... even if it still bothers me somehow. What purpose do fish serve to people who you try to educate about responsible fishkeeping.. who decide it's still okay to put 10 mollies into a 1 gallon bowl? Is it the process of trial and error.. finding out things that work and don't work? Or is it just entertainment; something that gives that person instant gratification? Is entertainment so important that snuffing out ANY life.. (fish, dog, cat, hamster, bird, etc)? Yeah, they may be new to it and not understand, but it doesn't excuse them from not listening when someone strongly urges against it... and then repeating the same thing endlessly because it's not as though they can't just replace them on a whim.

My personal opinion is no. However, I am in a job that involves catering to peoples desires for that instant gratification. No one I work with enjoys it, more than a few of us have written to corporate trying to get small animals, birds and other exotics at least REDUCED in numbers. You have no idea how many animals are in the back of retail chain stores because a holiday is coming up. The risk of illness is tripled, the conditions are harder to keep at a healthy level. All for what? Mass numbers to be entertained by a little critter that will fall out of favor in a few short months? Granted, this does not always happen. You get your gems occasionally. Adults, and often children, who love them and want the best for them and who do not see them as disposable playthings.

So I can see why someone might want to ban them. Does it suck for the people who are actually responsible? Yeah. I can, however, think of the notion fondly because while there are always going to be people who provide good shelter and living space.. there are triple the amount that will do otherwise. Is it worth my having my lovely little fish if I know others may not be so lucky? Not really.

I don't ever see that happening, however, because there is too much money to be made off the skins and scales of the pet industry. I just hope that big businesses start making some effort to find a way to educate the public so that mishaps and social responsibility are something that becomes commonplace. By no means do I think that banning them is the end all answer. Just the share of knowledge.. which is why I love this site and the people on it!

By the way, no.. I am weird and I don't eat seafood. :p

I'm sure maybe I sound like some PETA flag waver, but I am not a fan of that particular organization, actually.

Well then, No more pets for anyone. For every animal on this world there is a person who is not treating it right. If it's a horse, duck, bird, fish, hamster, lizard, rabbit someone isn't keeping it right! So it's only fair to make everybody suffer not only one group and what do you do with all of the fish in the stores now? People just need to educate themselves about things before they just jump into. Learn to play the game before you play.

Last edited:
so, where does it stop?...crickets??? bloodworms?? I haven't heard anyone have a problem with killing these for pet food...bottom line if you have a problem with a particular hobby, then dont involve yourself in it, but what gives you the right to say someone else can't? its your opinion against theirs right? If you think the hobby needs to be banned have YOU ever had a fish die? did you buy more? if the answer is yes than you are a hipocrite nuff said.

nextgeneration40 said:
so, where does it stop?...crickets??? bloodworms?? I haven't heard anyone have a problem with killing these for pet food...bottom line if you have a problem with a particular hobby, then dont involve yourself in it, but what gives you the right to say someone else can't? its your opinion against theirs right? If you think the hobby needs to be banned have YOU ever had a fish die? did you buy more? if the answer is yes than you are a hipocrite nuff said.

Wouldn't banning fish hurt the economy a little depending on how many people in Canada pursue it

You know, I really shouldn't be wasting my time. I know I don't have the time or know-how to effect any change even locally. I should just worry about my own decisions, as is typical for me, pertaining to current topic, & let governance do what it thinks everyone wants, or what it is they have determined to be correct.

I'm not really passionate about anything in particular. Not smart enough to tackle issues with knowlege to back up my opinions and beliefs. I think without knowing enough, emotions and thoughts can easily betray & mislead the well meaning.

But it is also, I think, healthy to fight just for the sake of fighting, challenging your own courage, imposing hardship upon oneself, and living with enemies just to not become complacent or comfortable. I don't do this very much, but I've noticed in my brief and formative experiences in life, that the names that go down in history, majoritally, are heroes, the most dilligent of workers or those who have conquerred supreme personal challenges--spiritual, if thats your thing, & physical/those things pertaining to the mind. People who ask not what there country can do for them, people who serve causes beyond their own self interest.

So what does this have to do with fish or anything else? Dunno. I guess I'm just realizing(once again)that sometimes I talk just to hear my own voice, when really, what I should be doing is listening to those who actually have something to say. Something to say because they've been there and done that(times before) & because they really care. Being able to truly care is not free. It's a hard earned thing, I believe.

It's not that I don't care, here, about the fishes, or in general. But perhaps I don't care enough to spend any more time agreeing with Karma or not understanding truth, out loud, just for something to do. There is something more pertinent that needs to be done.

But maybe I've gotthe afore all wrong, too. Dunno. Ask me in a million years.

Back
Top Bottom