Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish ban in Canada?

While at the LFS today I overheard an employee talking to a customer about Canada instilling a fish ban.

So of course, I stopped him to ask about this. He doesn't know when it would happen for sure but apparently within the next year. Has anyone else heard about this?

So far they've heard it will only be specific fish - he mentioned guppies, platys, mollies, discus, danios..

Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great idea.

Great idea.

I think too many people get these poor little critters without the slightest idea on how to care for them. And even a bit more than the slighest idea is not enough.

Nor do I like the idea of people getting fish just so when they've been drinking on Friday night with their friends they can have a little show by feeding them to their Oscar.

Definitely a bigtime proponent of at least, at minimum, having to pass some sort of test/take a class to be a fish owner.

Fish is a delicate pet that needs a responsible, intelligent person tending them.

ae123

Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

You crazy Canadians
Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

It would probably be a ban or regulation on shipping and transporting them and not on the ownership itself.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
It would probably be a ban or regulation on shipping and transporting them and not on the ownership itself.
What was said is they won`t be sold anymore.. But if people already have them - prior to the ban, then they`ll be fine. If noone else has heard of it maybe it`s nothing. Crossing my fingers!! I could understand tank busters being banned but come on.. guppies! Everyone has their reasons.. Time will tell.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnthn932
You crazy Canadians
Lol hilarious
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae123 View Post
Definitely a bigtime proponent of at least, at minimum, having to pass some sort of test/take a class to be a fish owner.

Fish is a delicate pet that needs a responsible, intelligent person tending them.

ae123
So are humans.. There`s no class or test for procreation. Just a point to ponder.

Besides, I sure as heck don`t want money for infrastructure, healthcare, etc. going to someone having to monitor test results for keeping aquatic pets.. Quite the waste of time and money.

Tank busters would make sense because goodness knows we`ve all heard of someone who bought an O (for example), it got too big or got boring and they released it into the wild.. Or better example yet is the snakehead.

The government hardly cares if someone buys a $5 fish and it dies.. Logic says it would have to be for a greater purpose than morals.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

rumors like that have been around since the first LFS opened it's doors.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

They were saying the same thing about Hawaii too a few months back, and how it would make reefkeeping products and livestock really expensive and almost impossible for people in hawaii.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae123
Great idea.

I think too many people get these poor little critters without the slightest idea on how to care for them. And even a bit more than the slighest idea is not enough.

Nor do I like the idea of people getting fish just so when they've been drinking on Friday night with their friends they can have a little show by feeding them to their Oscar.

ae123
Getting a little carried away, IMO!! Guess you could say the same thing about any pet owner that abuses their pet. Maybe the pet stores need to educate their staff more versus hiring the first person who'll take the job!!
I live in Alberta and have never heard of any such ban!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com