FISH diseases, and your ability to treat them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOW GOOD are you when it comes to sick FISH (+ other living stuff in your tank)

• Total voters
I can count the number of diseases that have hit my tank on one hand. One bout of Hexamitosis, one bout of old food, lip disease on my Angel, and Ich maybe twice. Pretty common diseases, easily diagnosed.

I lose very little fish in my 13 tanks thank goodness. I had to learn the hard way and now although I am good at treating my fish I once was not.

Have not lost ANY fish to disease in my tank's present location. (10 yrs in August)

I still have some Neon Tetras (3) left from when I bought in 2001 - 7 yrs for a Neon!

Big thing is: pick your fish carefully - make sure there is no disease in lfs tank. Then Q them for at least 3 weeks before adding to main tank.

I'm an okay doctor. I usually call my local Petco or look it up in one of my books on aquariums.

Have not lost ANY fish to disease in my tank's present location. (10 yrs in August)

I still have some Neon Tetras (3) left from when I bought in 2001 - 7 yrs for a Neon!

Big thing is: pick your fish carefully - make sure there is no disease in lfs tank. Then Q them for at least 3 weeks before adding to main tank.

see ... trouble is that if you aren't a VERY GOOD doctor, you won't be able to identify the diseases anyway.

so even if you Q the fish for 4 weeks, they might survive 4 weeks and then you put them in your main tank, and spread disease and die 2 weeks later

so all in all, except ich some types of fungus and external parasites, i think some (most?) of us are not able to identify.
and even with ich, i've tried the heat treatment twice now, and except losing all fragile fish, i did not lose anything else (certainly not the ich)
this time i tried ich-treatment by heat PLUS ich pills, and i have same result, fish are dying and ich is still there.

i think that, without owning a microscope, you cannot call yourself a doctor.

"i think that, without owning a microscope, you cannot call yourself a doctor."

Why I own 2 and know how to use them.

i think that, without owning a microscope, you cannot call yourself a doctor.

I don't think owning a microscope has anyhting to do with diagnosing fish disease. One could have one, know how to use it, and be awful at disease diagnosis. I think it takes experience and hopefully one doesn't have the experience needed to be an expert at diagnosing fish disease.

I'm ok at it, but I'm fine with that. It means that I haven't had fish diseases in my tank so I haven't had to research different disease subjects.

I think the trick is to be able to tell there is a problem when the fish is only a little bit sick, then you still have time to look up symptoms and get advise.

I don't think owning a microscope has anyhting to do with diagnosing fish disease. One could have one, know how to use it, and be awful at disease diagnosis. I think it takes experience and hopefully one doesn't have the experience needed to be an expert at diagnosing fish disease.

I'm ok at it, but I'm fine with that. It means that I haven't had fish diseases in my tank so I haven't had to research different disease subjects.

honestly, i think that if you have never had problems with your tank, you cannot call yourself a doctor.

people that HAD problems and corrected them can call themselves docs.

... now i know in your particular case it's not the case ...

I've had problems in my tank (the diseases mentioned in my initial post) but I wouldn't call myself a doctor. IMO to call yourself a doctor you need a phd or md. But since we are not getting technical about it and using your definition, then sure I'm a doctor.

A few simple rules to follow regarding fish health;

Identity: Familiarity with its natural environment? Where was it collected from?
Behavioral: Passive? Reclusive? Predatory? Nocturnal? Energetic?
Physical: High/low disease tolerance? Sensitivity to changes in environment? Medication Sensitivity?

Retail;
Water Sample: NH3? NO2? NO3? pH? Salinity? Hardness? Temperature?
Disease Control: Physical/Behavioral abnormalities? External parasites? Internal parasites (regional)? Bacterial infections?
System: Flow-through? Pre-treatments? Other inhabitant degradation?

Treatments: Do you have a basic plan? Familiarity with medications? Adverse reaction control? Familiarity with dosages? Sedation techniques? Biopsy techniques?

These are just some basic questions you can ask yourself before purchasing a fish or even invertebrate. You do not have to be a doctor or vet. to maintain efficient disease prognosis.

I'm sure the OP did not intend to have aquarist's misrepresent themselves as doctors and was only attempting to discover how successful folks have been in treating fish over their individual experiences.

That being said, I'm not such as bad "doctor". I've treated parasites very successfully over the years.

I'm sure the OP did not intend to have aquarist's misrepresent themselves as doctors and was only attempting to discover how successful folks have been in treating fish over their individual experiences.

That being said, I'm not such as bad "doctor". I've treated parasites very successfully over the years.

yes you are right, i did not mean to find out how many of you have studies in fishology i used "doctor" more in the terms of a "healer"

to continue on the thread's ideea, i think our major problem is HOW TO IDENTIFY the RIGHT diseases.

To identify the right disease, note all symptoms. Some diseases are easier to diagnose (ie: Ich, popeye, dropsy, etc) and can be done by posting a pic here and listing the symptoms. Or even researching different diseases until you find the one that fits. For the less obvious diseases, try the process of elimination. And if you are stuck, post a threa in the Unhealthy Fish forum so more people can help figure out what disease has struck the tank.

To be blunt, I think the major factor in disease ignorance is the lack of personal research and the desire for a quick cure for any and all maladies. Fish health/disease guides are readily available in virtually step by step instructions, yet not utilized other than in professional fields (excluding lfs). Assertive quarantine procedures would be another means in aiding long-term health; however, it seems many are content with a "wait and see" approach allowing immune systems to be compromised.

To be blunt, I think the major factor in disease ignorance is the lack of personal research and the desire for a quick cure for any and all maladies. Fish health/disease guides are readily available in virtually step by step instructions, yet not utilized other than in professional fields (excluding lfs). Assertive quarantine procedures would be another means in aiding long-term health; however, it seems many are content with a "wait and see" approach allowing immune systems to be compromised.

Agreed... that it is mostly lack of knowledge but if "Fish health/disease guides are readily available in virtually step by step instructions", then instead of just mentioning it, these guides should be posted on the forum, with links, for all to see and follow.

Also, the names of the snake oil cure-alls that are on the market in the lfs should be published (and there are many of them), telling all readers the what and why they are snake oil cures so knowledgable people can avoid them.

It wasn't too long ago that about the only medication for curing fish disease was "methylene blue"...

The "wait and see" method does not work.

Back
Top Bottom