Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Fish facial recognition

Who knew?! Be faster if the person carried a fish food container I suspect - mine can pick that from 5 feet away.

Fish can be trained to recognize your face and spit on it | The Verge

Old 06-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to Carriwin
If my angels had legs and could run out of their tank every time they saw the food container, they totally would. It's a good thing they can't swim enough to knock their tank over. LOL

Old 06-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I saw that too, interesting. I'm thinking this phenomenon is probably better characterized as "pattern-matching," rather than "facial recognition."
Old 06-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriwin View Post
If my angels had legs and could run out of their tank every time they saw the food container, they totally would. It's a good thing they can't swim enough to knock their tank over. LOL

Lol - we'd be kicked out of the house. It would be sorry, the dog can open doors, the cat has the fridge sorted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewiza View Post
I saw that too, interesting. I'm thinking this phenomenon is probably better characterized as "pattern-matching," rather than "facial recognition."

Pattern matching makes a lot of sense - I'm not quite sure if the researchers are doing something really clever or something any fish keeper could tell them
Old 06-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewiza View Post
True facial recognition is a fairly complicated neurologic process. I doubt that most fish even have the space for it in their brainpan, much less the ability to apply it broadly to humans. Simply pattern recognition would be my guess as well, which fish have long been known to possess and apply.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:37 AM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
True facial recognition is a fairly complicated neurologic process. I doubt that most fish even have the space for it in their brainpan, much less the ability to apply it broadly to humans. Simply pattern recognition would be my guess as well, which fish have long been known to possess and apply.

Sounds interesting - what would the difference be? I'm assuming pattern recognition is part of facial recognition but purely as a layperson.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Sounds interesting - what would the difference be? I'm assuming pattern recognition is part of facial recognition but purely as a layperson.
I would think it also has something to do with emotional mapping into the brain. Technically facial recognition is pattern recognition, however there are emotions (even at their most rudimentary) that are involved.

If someone doesn't make an "impression" on you, they won't stick.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I'm assuming pattern recognition is part of facial recognition...
"Facial recognition" in the context I'm using, is a type of digital security application that builds on pattern recognition to identify humans by their faces. The point being, fish don't recognize and know who you are as we do interacting with each other, just that food is coming from a pattern. The article's author misused the term facial recognition to make his piece seem more interesting than it really is.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriwin View Post
I would think it also has something to do with emotional mapping into the brain. Technically facial recognition is pattern recognition, however there are emotions (even at their most rudimentary) that are involved.

If someone doesn't make an "impression" on you, they won't stick.
Ah, many thanks - the stuff you learn.

We were just talking here about if archer fish could be trained to target more difficult family members (ie those holding out against more tanks).
Old 06-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Ah, many thanks - the stuff you learn.

We were just talking here about if archer fish could be trained to target more difficult family members (ie those holding out against more tanks).
LOL and how many tanks do you have now is really the question? Not that there is such a thing as "too many" unless it's a wall of fish, but even then... who doesn't want a wall of fish?!

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com