Fish facial recognition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If my angels had legs and could run out of their tank every time they saw the food container, they totally would. It's a good thing they can't swim enough to knock their tank over. LOL

I saw that too, interesting. I'm thinking this phenomenon is probably better characterized as "pattern-matching," rather than "facial recognition."

If my angels had legs and could run out of their tank every time they saw the food container, they totally would. It's a good thing they can't swim enough to knock their tank over. LOL

Lol - we'd be kicked out of the house. It would be sorry, the dog can open doors, the cat has the fridge sorted...

I saw that too, interesting. I'm thinking this phenomenon is probably better characterized as "pattern-matching," rather than "facial recognition."

Pattern matching makes a lot of sense - I'm not quite sure if the researchers are doing something really clever or something any fish keeper could tell them :)

True facial recognition is a fairly complicated neurologic process. I doubt that most fish even have the space for it in their brainpan, much less the ability to apply it broadly to humans. Simply pattern recognition would be my guess as well, which fish have long been known to possess and apply.

True facial recognition is a fairly complicated neurologic process. I doubt that most fish even have the space for it in their brainpan, much less the ability to apply it broadly to humans. Simply pattern recognition would be my guess as well, which fish have long been known to possess and apply.

Sounds interesting - what would the difference be? I'm assuming pattern recognition is part of facial recognition but purely as a layperson.

Sounds interesting - what would the difference be? I'm assuming pattern recognition is part of facial recognition but purely as a layperson.

I would think it also has something to do with emotional mapping into the brain. Technically facial recognition is pattern recognition, however there are emotions (even at their most rudimentary) that are involved.

If someone doesn't make an "impression" on you, they won't stick.

I'm assuming pattern recognition is part of facial recognition...
"Facial recognition" in the context I'm using, is a type of digital security application that builds on pattern recognition to identify humans by their faces. The point being, fish don't recognize and know who you are as we do interacting with each other, just that food is coming from a pattern. The article's author misused the term facial recognition to make his piece seem more interesting than it really is.

I would think it also has something to do with emotional mapping into the brain. Technically facial recognition is pattern recognition, however there are emotions (even at their most rudimentary) that are involved.

If someone doesn't make an "impression" on you, they won't stick.

Ah, many thanks - the stuff you learn.

We were just talking here about if archer fish could be trained to target more difficult family members (ie those holding out against more tanks).

Ah, many thanks - the stuff you learn.

We were just talking here about if archer fish could be trained to target more difficult family members (ie those holding out against more tanks).

LOL and how many tanks do you have now is really the question? Not that there is such a thing as "too many" unless it's a wall of fish, but even then... who doesn't want a wall of fish?!

LOL and how many tanks do you have now is really the question? Not that there is such a thing as "too many" unless it's a wall of fish, but even then... who doesn't want a wall of fish?!

Sadly only one display tank and a few small ones. Even the display one is almost an embarrassment when the cichlid keepers here are talking about their 6ft tanks :(

Worse yet there is an empty wall currently doing nothing at home...

Sadly only one display tank and a few small ones. Even the display one is almost an embarrassment when the cichlid keepers here are talking about their 6ft tanks :(

Worse yet there is an empty wall currently doing nothing at home...

See, and that empty wall looks lonely without the natural artistry that comes from the beauty of fish tanks...

Back
Top Bottom