Fish for my Cats!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLadySmoke

Aquarium Advice Regular
Lol. (Probably not what you're thinking!)

My cat broke his foot so he was restricted to staying in my bedroom only until he healed. To help combat boredom I decided to buy him a small 10G tank with two goldfish for him to watch.

That didn't last long, the goldfish died pretty fast. I didn't know anything at that point and was going off my mother's advice lol. She insisted two goldfish would be fine because she had a goldfish in a bowl for five years with no problems! Crazy! I don't know how she kept that fish alive and well.

So after that I got Molly's instead, 1M and 3F (luck of the draw as this was before I knew about live bearers and the M-F ratio) They were fine at first but kept getting sick.

This is when my research into fish started! I finally learned about cycling and testing the water after spending a lot of time browsing these forums and googling! I took the filter that came with the tank off to clean and it was very nasty! I assume from the original two goldies..

Instead of trying to fix my mistakes with the 10G tank I decided to buy a 45G Bow Front! My cats temporary broken foot entertainment is becoming a very expensive adventure!!!

Unfortunately I lost my 3 female Molly's after transferring them to the large tank. So now it's 2 months later, my cat is fully healed and bored of the fish and I am now obsessed! Lol. Been keeping track of how much I spent so far and it is around $1,000! <--- crazy!

My current stock is 1 Male Molly and 6 Serpae Tetra. Currently waiting for my tank to finish cycling before adding more fish. My cat is so spoiled and he has no idea! Lol!

Curious if anyone else got into fish keeping by accident?! Lol. I had no idea how addicting this would become!! :)

Pics: The little guy in the bow-tie is the cat I bought the fish for, the big cat is my dad's F2 Savannah Cat! They both love the watching the fish! The goldfish in the bowl is when I separated him and tried to save him, that is the closest the cats ever got to a fish lol!

Attachments

• image-1644989916.jpg
    image-1644989916.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3559981441.jpg
    image-3559981441.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3324920160.jpg
    image-3324920160.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 97
  • image-3060267403.jpg
    image-3060267403.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3425486537.jpg
    image-3425486537.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 84
  • image-702104466.jpg
    image-702104466.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1330144967.jpg
    image-1330144967.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 70
Maybe you already know, but only wash the filter pad in old tank water or dechlorinated /conditioned water since the good or BB/beneficial bacteria grows there breaks down your fish waste, old food, poop.

Yes, I read that on here! I tossed all the old tank stuff and started brand new with the new tank. It was a cheap Walmart filter for a 10G so I didn't want to bother keeping it.

Yes, I read that on here! I tossed all the old tank stuff and started brand new with the new tank. It was a cheap Walmart filter for a 10G so I didn't want to bother keeping it.

Better to keep just the pad so that it keeps your stock of BB to help with the new filter pad to grow more, referred to as "seeded" media, even for a couple weeks then toss after you get new BB growth. Or even run the two together for a couple weeks, that could be why the other fish didn't make it.

Do you have a test kit to test for Ammonia and Nitrate. API Master test kit is ideal so you can test everything, to make sure your levels are safe for fish and if not do appropriate amount of pwc's to fix it.

Fish are awesome for sure! My cat and foster cats all love watching the fish!

:popcorn:

Oh I didn't think of that! I was worried about having any dirtiness come into the new tank..

I don't have the master kit, I have a liquid drops test for ammonia and one for nitrite. I was planning on getting a nitrate test when my cycling gets further in! Would you start testing for nitrates now? This tank has been up and running for three weeks so far.

Back
Top Bottom