Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I so agree! While we are all on this note, doesn't it ever make you so ticked off when people ask if you have a pet, and you say fish, and they say something completely idiotic and insensitive such as, "I meant a real pet, like a cat"? These are the same people who don't think fish deserve the same respect as furry or scaled pets. Screw them...I love my little fishies

Old 02-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
To a six-year-old, a dead goldfish is the end of the world. The angst is compounded by the fact that the deceased was not only a pet, but a prize too
My first fish was a carnival prize goldfish, he lasted about a year and I was so sad when he died I had to stay home from school (first grade-1970)

I am constantly amazed at how little people think about the consequences of their actions

Old 02-02-2004, 05:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

The more i try, the more frustrated I become trying to figure people out. Fish as party gifts and party decorations?!?!?!?!. What kind of people think up this crap? As far as I'm concerned, I say we should all vote on a new national or international holiday - "beat an idiot with a hammer" day. Of course, on said day, I'd have to hide out in a brick tree house, but that would be for other reasons we don't need to get into right now. I love fish, and they are my friends .
Lawnmower Blenny -(Lenny), Talbot's Damsel -(Dottie), Tomato Clown -(Ketchup)
Nameless fish include, Neon Blenny, Singapore Shrimp Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps, purple pseudochromis.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to freshwatergal
We did the betta decoration thing, but had no plans what-so-ever to flush them at the end of the night. It was for my sisters wedding shower, so we then gave them as gifts to the bridal party. We told them what to do with them, how to feed them, and they needed bigger homes then what we had them in (little fish bowls only for that day.) I had mine for a long while before my cat decided to knock if off my desk and make a midnight snack out of it. What the others did with it I couldnt tell you, but we didn't make them take it if they didn't want it. I think now that the only member of the bridal party who took one home besides myself was a sister of the groom because she loved fish. The other went to my mother, and my sister took the last one. But at least we were responsible about it.

Tiff
Old 02-02-2004, 06:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Freshwatergal, the key is the last line of your post, "But at least we were responsible about it." You apparently had already made alternate plans for the fish and it seems that fishkeeping is a hobby enjoyed by several members of your family.

That said, I think it would be very irresponsible for a non-hobbyist to provide these animals as party favors/decorations because there would be no fall-back plan for them (aside from the Porcelain Perish Portal).

And offering then to non-consenting children at a birthday party would be the worst thing to do.
What six year old possesses the maturity to say "No thanks, I am not adequately prepared to care for such a pet at the present time" when offered a goldfish for winning the 'push an egg across the room with a spoon' game?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to freshwatergal
I agree with that totally, I wasnt by any means saying it was ok no matter what.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwatergal
I wasnt by any means saying it was ok no matter what.
Oh, no, no, no, freshwatergal! I did not get that impression at all.

It's just that using live animals as disposable give-aways gets me riled and I guess I'm just ranting at the choir.

Having spent three months of internal debate prior to buying my first tank, i just can't fathom the idea of someone just giving me fish before I was ready for them..
Old 02-05-2004, 04:08 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Ohhhh, i feel sick

>shudder< I don't know if I am more sick or more mad!

My 8 year old's already decided that she gives no culls as gifts to friends unless they happen to keep fish already. Most of her culls will go to my knifefish. Specially her top-secret gen 1&2.

The wedding gift thing...uuhhhh! Lucky no PETA members were near to do some rancid militant action. They live to protest that kind of cruelty!

Only the far left extremists....PETA speak up for fish. The SPCA, and Humane society does not consider fish or livestock under any protection. My daughter searched the internet an entire Saturday wanting to complain about "pet-mart" She was ffrustrated and angruy by evening and went to that Report-it site.

A lot of people bite! You try to mention it needs more and they prefer to spout the best theory that allows them to put a tropical fish in a "bowl" with no heat, no water testing and no attentions.
Grr!

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Old 02-05-2004, 06:17 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
here is where th e idea came from

Grr!
http://www.petfishtalk.com/shows/030806.htm

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Old 02-08-2004, 01:56 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

What are people thinking!??
A woman I used to work with told me she used goldfish as centerpieces for her wedding. Since she was the bride, her mother took over the role of buying the fish and setting them out. The mother apparently had no clue and most of the fish died. They left them on the table!!! Could you image going to a wedding and having a dead fish in the middle of the table?
My fiancé’s sister had a better idea; she picked up cute glass fish attached to floating glass balls and placed them in fish bowls for the centerpieces. Her wedding was beautifully done in a marina and cruelty free!

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com