Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2004, 03:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fish in gift bags...BAD >:(

A friend was asking me about fish-keeping, because her 4 yr old daughter went to a birthday party where the gift bags for the dozen or so children contained--you guessed it--a goldfish.

She was irritated because she knows nothing about this hobby, and had no intention of getting into it, and now they are stuck with a live animal they know nothing about; besides the fact that they already have a young cat. She put the fish in a tiny bowl with some rocks, and she wasn't sure what to do about keeping the water clean, how to feed it, etc. So I gave her what basic advice I could, and then she was not pleased to find out she'd need a bigger tank for the fish, a filter, substrate, water test kit, plants, etc.

We both agreed it was extremely irresponsible of the birthday child's parents to give fish as gift bag items to small children. I mean, would you send a kid home with a new puppy?! I guess some people don't think fish are that hard to keep and don't need a lot of love and care, which is of course rather ludicrous. And then there are those who just think, "Oh what a cute gift bag item! If it dies, oh well, it's just a fish."

ARGH!

Old 01-31-2004, 04:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
If it dies, oh well, it's just a fish.
Some people just don't get it.

There was a thread here a while back about someone with a pile of new bettas rescued from an appointment with the 'porcelain tank'. They were wedding decorations, and had fulfilled their purpose 8O

Old 01-31-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel ill...
Old 01-31-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Your right people just dont care.
They think throw that goldfish in a tiny bowl and let it sit.
Some people have no clue about fish care and shouldnt even own a fish without the will to learn how to take care of it.
JMO

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
Old 01-31-2004, 05:58 PM   #5

My neice went to a birthday party in September or thereabouts, same deal. I wanted to smack the people. 6 year old girls, just gave em a fish in a bag, what were the parents thinking?!?!?!?!

You get one guess who was pressed into service to make sure "goldie" lived.

They had a 10 gallon from her older brother's failed first tank, gravel and some hob filter. I had to run over there and set everything up and miss half a football game I wanted to watch.

The fish is still alive, but mostly due to me. They feed it and turn the lights on and off. I do all the maintanance, cuz we're over there at least twice a month. I bet the rest of the fish from that party are long dead, unless someone else in the house keeps fish.

Come to think of it, I guess I'll be doing a water change over there tomorrow before the Super Bowl

Old 01-31-2004, 06:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you guys should talk to the parents who did this. If it was a dog you would let them know that it's animal abuse to give it to people who have no knowledge or desire to take care of it.

I wonder how long the things were just sitting in a bag too. If it were me I would have dropped the fish off at the pet store and given it to them.

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:37 PM   #7

Most parents should not be allowed to have children either IMHO.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Most parents should not be allowed to have children either IMHO.
I don't know about most, but I hear ya, heh.

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:33 AM   #9

I guess I could have said many.

Old 02-02-2004, 04:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why have fish, over the years, become the ubiquitous, throw-away, party favor, carnival prize of the animal kingdom? Is it simply because they are incredibly cheap to breed or is it because they don't whimper and cry while they are suffering a slow painful death? And why goldfish in particular? They need a relatively humongous tank for their size, they eat like mad, they poop like mad, and they will live for years and years and years if properly taken care of.

I agree with everyone who has posted that to force such a pet on an unsuspecting parent is unconscionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myriam
And then there are those who just think, "Oh what a cute gift bag item! If it dies, oh well, it's just a fish."
To a six-year-old, a dead goldfish is the end of the world. The angst is compounded by the fact that the deceased was not only a pet, but a prize too - and his/her parents are the ones who will have to deal with it. Betcha the dippy party hostess never thought about that one, huh?

Why can't kids toss a ping-pong ball in a tiny cup and win something less demanding to keep alive....a potted plant for instance?

And the idea of using live bettas as a disposable table decoration is just pure unudulterated evil. What ever happened to cut flowers and floating candles?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com