Fish Key Chains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkmatter_3500

Aquarium Advice Freak
Saw this on another site, it looks like in China they sell key chains that have live animals in them, I guess they live for a while then starve or suffocate. It looks horrible to me.

image-3584532464.jpg

image-4036862253.jpg

image-566946344.jpg

image-1220751075.jpg

image-1310513746.jpg

That's utterly disgusting! I'm so appalled I can't think of anything more to write. Turtles, lizards and fish in key chains... :-0

Yeah I dont know what they are thinking, the bags look sealed I guess they can cut them out if they want but im not sure what they do to them or if they just let them die in there.

I read in the article that the vendors claim that the water is nutrient rich and the animal inside can live for months or years, but they wind up dying in a few hours usually. They sell it on the street to shoppers or around elementary schools.

paytertot said:
I want to go to China and buy a million of them just to save the critters D:

I thought about that but then they would probably just sell more, maybe if the sellers were put in a bag like that for 5 min they would stop.

That is terrible! Also, ewwww at the idea that a few hours later, you will have a keychain with a dead and swiftly decaying animal in it. Eww...

Yeah that's nasty! My boss made me out goldfish into small necklaces he made a killing off of it too but I quit :/

I've seen them before. Pretty disgusting they can treat a living thing as disposable. Sadly some countries don't have laws to protect against animal cruelty like this. :(

Luckily we do not have that here in the U.S.

But sometimes we need to understand, different cultures have different perspective. Now, do not get me wrong, in no way am I defending China or the producers for promoting this, but there are things we see as normal that other countries may argue as controversial. So as much as we see this as cruel, I do not think we have the right to criticize anyone if China allows such practices to continue.

Back
Top Bottom