Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish Mistreatment

(Sorry, this is a bit of an angry rant)
I know tons of other animals are constantly mistreated every day. It's sick. But it seems fish are treated among the worst, especially since many people hardly consider them living things. They just throw them around in harsh conditions for their own enjoyment, without even taking the time to learn proper care.

Take a few of my best friends for example. Today they went out to some carnival thing and each won a goldfish. They walked around for a few hours with the fish still in the bag after that. Finally, when they got home they put all 3 of the fish in a small, plastic cereal bowl and did not so much as condition the water first. Then they sat there and gawked at the fish, taking pictures and laughing at how they were slowly dying.

I'm just tired of it. People treat fish like garbage because they think fish are below them. They don't care if their fish dies; they'll just go buy a new one. It's only for decoration, anyways.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is part of the Human Condition

Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It bugs me to, If I saw something about it I'm a 'Fish Nerd' but if I don't I feel bad. People just don't care about animals anymore.

GuppyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am a strong advocate that fish should never be used as a "prize" unless it is somewhere like a fish convention where people are truly interested in the hobby. Some people I know thought having Betta bowls on top of the table for a wedding recepton would be nice..they were looking at upwards of 30 fish. I asked the question of what they intended to do with the fish afterwords and they said they would give them away to the guests, or, they would just "get rid" of them. Fortunately, I talked them out of the idea by explaining a few things about the fishkeeping hobby.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkng1 View Post
I am a strong advocate that fish should never be used as a "prize" unless it is somewhere like a fish convention where people are truly interested in the hobby. Some people I know thought having Betta bowls on top of the table for a wedding recepton would be nice..they were looking at upwards of 30 fish. I asked the question of what they intended to do with the fish afterwords and they said they would give them away to the guests, or, they would just "get rid" of them. Fortunately, I talked them out of the idea by explaining a few things about the fishkeeping hobby.
Exactly. My aunt was hosting some fancy dinner for all of her friends, and as decoration she got a really tall, about 10-gallon 5-inch wide glass vase and put 6 goldfish in it. She put floating candles on the water. She just used tap water without condition. After the dinner the vase broke and all of the fish died :/
Old 06-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #6

When my mom was little, the swim team would put like 300 feeder fish in the public swimming pool, and swim around and catch them. They just left the ones that didn't get picked in there until they all died.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
When my mom was little, the swim team would put like 300 feeder fish in the public swimming pool, and swim around and catch them. They just left the ones that didn't get picked in there until they all died.
That makes sense. Torture the fish in a heavily chlorinated pool then contaminate the pool with dead fish. Makes perfect sense to me......
Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its a small part of what human can do and you all participate and so I!!
Not all on fish but you all use things that will kill animals in the wild, fish included.

We are upset with those who kill fish because its our hobby but we all have a bad habit who destroy other hobby!

Just an opinion
Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterfishGuy View Post
Its a small part of what human can do and you all participate and so I!!
Not all on fish but you all use things that will kill animals in the wild, fish included.

We are upset with those who kill fish because its our hobby but we all have a bad habit who destroy other hobby!

Just an opinion
Torturing an animal isn't just a "bad habit" though.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think a lot of the thing with fish is people being ignorant rather than intentionally cruel. What I mean to say is that it is fairly obvious to any sane person that kicking a dog is cruel but how many of us knew about suitable water chemistry for fish before we started/intended to start keeping them? I know I didn't for sure.

Tags
abuse, angry, carnival, eat, fish, rant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com