Fish myths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im sure we've all heard silly myths about fish and I wanted to post a thread to share them and maybe have people confirm/bust it.

I've heard that anything red is invisible to fish or just a shape, not detailed.
I think this is false because my cichlids can see my jewel cichlid.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Posted this elsewhere but I've seen external air pumps used (very briefly) as internal heaters. Also that it was ok to have water back-flow into the air pump. Can't think of the other one, will post if I remember.

Taking care of aquariums is easy.
I don't know how many times somebody has come to my house saying that they like my aquariums and saying that they might do it.
Then I tell them what my weekly schedule is and then it turns them off of the idea. And I have freshwater.
Props to all salt-waterers!

Fish do not require dark time, leaving the lights on 24/7 is ok because what's the point of having fish if you cannot see them. HAH

I know too many people that insist on keeping goldfish in bowls. They say why else is it called a goldfish bowl.

I've spent hours explaining to them why fish bowls are not suitable for any fish

Bettas should be given a filtered cycled tanks like any other fish. Keeping bettas in cups is cruel. In one my lfs they keep them for sale in little 1litre 20oz boxes and boy do they look unhealthy and miserable.

Last edited:
•Tap water is perfectly fine for fish, there's no need for all that expensive crap like aquasafe and stuff.
• floating fish before putting them in is not needed and is a dumb waste of time
• I can put however many fish in as the tank can hold, I'll stop putting them in when I feel like it.

I read plenty of things where people thought they didnt need to preform water changes, thats up there with the best.

Bettas should be given a filtered cycled tanks like any other fish. Keeping bettas in cups is cruel. In one my lfs they keep them for sale in little 1litre 20oz boxes and boy do they look unhealthy and miserable.

Is it bad if my betta lives in a heated, lit 2g? Do I need filtration? Because in the wild they live in stillwater, but, should I?

Changing your filter pad monthly is healthy for your tank.

People that like aquariums are crazy. (Thinking about it this might not actually be a myth)

Don't change your water in a fish in cycle for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom