Fish Names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoelter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So how many of you name your fish? What are some good names?

I had 2 Ocellaris clowns (30g, FOWLR, lots of bristleworms), and one night my girlfriend convinced me to name them. So I named them after this terrible fish song, Brian and Robert. Robert(a) was the girl, since she was the bigger of the two in the pair. Anyway, Brian died THE NEXT DAY and I am convinced it was because we named them (or, because I was in Europe for 4 weeks and didn't change the water in maybe 2 months).

Anyway, after a while monitoring my tank and thinking it was stable, I got another clown to be a friend for Robert and also got a Royal Gramma Basslet. My girlfriend named the clown Tipsy (which was great because of how he swam) and the basslet was named Scuba. Classic names. Unfortunately, both died within a few weeks. :?

So after about 6 months and lots of water changes (nitrates were high), I've gotten another clown. He's been around for at least a month now, so I have good hope for him to survive. His name is Dingy. :)

What about some other fish names??

Jeff

I admit I name most of my fish that I can identify individually.

I have a Dragon Goby named Giger.
Peppered corydora's named Queen Mab, Rodger, Rodregues and Bob.
White clouds named Mamma (the most prolific breeder) Tiny, tim and trouble (the only ones I can identify out of about 80).
More, many more fish but I sound quite sad already! ... :D

I name my fish, sometimes based on their names, my gold nugget pleco is simply Goldie. But others I name on their personalities. My one cichlid is the biggest digger in the tank, so hence his name is Digger. My biggest cichlid is Louie, no reason I can tell other than I came up with it and it stuck. LOL. White koi, Whitey, orange koi with a bump on his dorsal, Donkey. My BN pleco is Ben.

The rule is, if its living in my house it has a name. The goldfish is Depot because she was black, orange, and white (the home depot colours and Tony Stewart colours). My bettas are C.C. (Clarence Carter-good singer) and Angel (she's white and it was the opposite of her personality). The snail is Mr. Clean because he's going to clean some tank floors. I also name all of my hissing roaches. They have religious names and death names, since roaches remind my roomie of death. I have Requiem, Mortis, Epitaph, Parish, Lament and the babies need names yet. I once named two cactus plants I had. Spike and Leo. They are living so they had names.

every fish i ever named dies shortly there after, so, to me, it's a jinks to name them and i never do anymore

The fish I have that are larger and have distinct personalities usually wind up getting a name. My schooling fish usually do not, though they sometimes get a collective name.

I like sticking with movie character names. Sometimes this goes into hitorical or current known names. For example, my two favorite wold be Merlin and Donnie Darko. My boyfriend likes to use puns.

I had a set of clowns that I called Bob and Mel (Simpson's reference... Side show Bob, and Side show Mel, both clowns). I then stuck with the theme when Mel passed on and I got a B&W clown and called him Bart (aka Black bart). My dad named my urchin Spike (real original :wink: ) and he is my oldest living tank member! My goby has yet to be named, we weren't sure if he was going to make it (he's straight from the DE bay).

My 2 green spotted puffers were Flotsam and Getsam.

My yoyo loach is Amy Grant (always hiding from the criticism of the media), and the black neons are the newsboys LoL

my oscar gets called lots of different not so nice names when i'm trying to move him. I, the wall, the floor and even the roof end up covered in water.

but usually he's just "Oscar the grouch"
Then theres "Tigger" the tiger oscar
"Dollar 60" the silver dollar.
"Puss" the catfish
I've got "OJ" the oscar killer (Green terror)
"Marylin Monroe" is his partner
Had "Casper" the friendly black ghost knife fish
who was eaten by "Bazza" or "Gazza" the barramundi (could never tell which one)
and also had "Bert" and "Ernie" the red zebras who passed away after somebody fed them sausage roll.
Thats all I can think of at the minute.

Matt.

I only named a couple of my fish...

My 2 fire eels - Flame (11") and Flash (9 1/2")
Bala Shark - Rhapsody. Not sure why, it just fits his personality.
Rainbow Shark - Sylvester
Albino Rainbow Shark - Fury
And the loaches are part of the Backstreet Boys. :)

None of the others are named...

Let's see... I never named all my fish... Just ones that seemed to need it. I had 2 CAEs that grew to about 5" each that I called Tweedledee and Tweedledum (dee and dum for short)... RIP and curses on the Oscar that 'et 'em. (too big for my tank, bro knew someone who'd take them, but neglected to mention the Oscar until after they were gone). :(

My Maroon Clown was named... Guess... Yup... Nemo... By my niece's daughter who loved that movie, and screamed "Nemo!!!" when she saw him in my tank. I had 2 Corys named Cory and Dory, and the only other critter I named was my Coral Banded Shrimp (Coral of course).

DepotFish: Hissing Cockroaches??? Where's my Raid... I'm cringing at the keyboard just typing the name. Eeeeshhh! Most people get freaked out by spiders or snakes, but with me it's roaches... Give me a nice fuzzy Tarantula or a Ball Python instead. LOL

Let's see..I've named all my fish oriental sounding names, and I've had them all for about a year now. But there is Johnny, My betta, named after the david bowie and NIN (( Trent reznor..MMm...)) Collaborations of I'm afraid of americans.

Well for my SW tank we have the following fish and names:
(Not very inventive)

Maroon Clown - Coral
Bar Goby - Barbie
Starfish - Cookie
Cleaner Shrimp - Jacque
Cleaner Shrimp - Jauille
Hermit Crab - Butch
Snail - Grease Ball

May as well jump in here:

Sailfin gibbiceps Pleco - Cliff (From the movie "Cliff Hangers" Stallone hanging upside down on the rope).
Corydoras Julii - Larry, Moe and Curly (Three Stooges)
German Blue Rams (Collectively) - The Latin Kings
Bolivian Rams (Collectively) - The Bounty Hunters (in reference to Butch and Sundance)
Serpae tetras - Them
Lamp eye tetras - Those
Angels - Originally known as the three musketeers, since then two paired up and they are now known as Laverne, Shirley and Squiggy.
Applesnail - Gary
Brislenose Plecos (Collectively) - Janitors in a Drum

Only thw two goldfish in our house have names - My four year old named the calico ryukin "Kitty" and the red cap oranda is "Foo doggy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom