Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2003, 05:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
I heard fish can't detect red light, is this true? If it is then that would be useful during an experiment like what fishfreek was suggesting.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:15 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well usually the red light is used to look in the tank at night when the lights are off to observe night time behavor. Not sure how a redlight would be used in my experment.

For those of you looking for science fair projects this might be in interesting one to do.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
For your experiment, Instead of turning off the lights, you could use a redlight. This nightime redlight thing seems interesting, does it have to be a certian type of light, or could it be as simple as one of those red fiesta lightbulbs they have in supermarkets?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:41 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I have read time and time again that fish and critters don't see red light. This is not my experience, I have spent plenty of nights watching my fish chase a red laser beam, and when I go night diving with a flashlight with a red lens...everythig seems to be disturbed by it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 07-28-2003, 08:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanTheLibraia
I hear that a goldfishes memory is somthing like 7 seconds, is it similar with other fish? If so then I doubt they could remember whats what.
This is a myth. There has been no scientific research done in this regard. This is not a well investigated rock solid fact. Last, time I heard it, someone said it is like 3 seconds.

If their memory is so short, how come they recognize the person who brings food everyday ? Also, some gold fish know a net and run away from it when they see it. my gold fish recognize treats like worms and are excited when they see them.

This myth in my opinion was started by someone either who had no knowldge about Gold Fish or had them but didn't observe them carefully.
Next time someone comments on the memory time span of a gold fish, challenge them on this fact. Ask them what is the source of this information ?

Vijay
Old 07-29-2003, 01:31 AM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
I have read time and time again that fish and critters don't see red light. This is not my experience, I have spent plenty of nights watching my fish chase a red laser beam, and when I go night diving with a flashlight with a red lens...everythig seems to be disturbed by it.
I agree with that one. I have "night shot" on my DV recorder and I tried using it once. Everything freeked, even the serpent star retreated 8O

Cheers
Steve

Old 07-29-2003, 09:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Most fish don't recognize you per se, unless they're like Oscars and feed from your hand. Fish recognize the vibrations in the water caused by your walking (similar to what fishfreek said). Presumably, they increase as you draw nearer to the tank, so that helps. I know this for a fact! My tiger barbs would often get excited when I entered the room because they associated my footsteps with being fed. However, one time, I hurt my foot and was limping, and when I entered the room, they all shied away to the opposite end of the tank. When my walking returned to normal a few days later, they greeted me, waiting to be fed. Fish do have a little biological clock implanted in them, so if you feed them every day at a fixed time, they recognize that time and expect to be fed, even when you're running late. Sort of like my cats . . . one of them rouses herself from her sleep every day a little while before my mother comes home (my mother feeds the cats) or when it's actual feeding time. They come to expect things at a certain time, and the cats are nice and vocal when they think you're not quick enough on your toes to feed them! So the fish are probably doing the same. I can't speak from experience with the fish, though; my school schedule was too hectic to fix a time to feed them. So although they may not recognize YOU, they do recognize the signs that accompany being fed. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on the idea that my fish are actually semi-intelligent . . . At least it's nice to know that they HAVE a memory, however small it may be! And I didn't even know the rumors about red lights . . . I did read, though, that some animals can see only red, black, and white. One time, I was playing a computer game, and my cat was attracted to the red objects and ignored the rest . . . any ideas? I thought they were colorblind! Oh well. All these rumors and ideas and no one to prove them for once and for all!
Old 07-29-2003, 10:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

My experience has been different. When I am sitting in my chair, but all of a sudden show the food packet to my betta, he gets excited. Other times, I also move in my chair in proximity to my Betta, however, he doesn't respond.

I am sure that fish also respond to vibrations and that they also have a biological clock. (Who wants to be fed late ? )

However, concrete scientific proof would be needed to establish one way or the other. I believe it is a combination of all the factors.

Vijay
Old 07-30-2003, 03:32 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have no doubts fish have memories, and that their visual systems work pretty darn good too.

I normally feed the fish. The angels see me moving in the room (anywhere) and they're near the top begging for food. Hubby doesn't feed them, but we had a snail infestation a while back. He would smoosh the snails for them. When they saw him, they wouldn't swim to the top of the tank; they would swim up and knock snails off the tank walls. He would smoosh the snails with an old Dave n Busters card (like a credit card). If they saw the CARD they'd go snail hunting.

We got loaches and now no more snails. The angels could care less about the hubby now UNLESS he leans down in front of the tank (the food is kept on a shelf below the tank). Then they get all excited even tho he doesn't feed them.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:40 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing. Snail hunting is very smart indeed.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com