Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2003, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
Fish Recognizing me

My Rats, are directly across from my aquarium. Whenever I walk in my room my rats normally start squeaking for me to feed them or play with them, but I have noticed, that when I come in my room, my fish do the exact same thing. Do you think my fish actually know its me, or have they just memorized that I feed them about 5 every day?

Old 05-19-2003, 08:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
Oh yea thats one of my rats, Bill.

Old 05-19-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

They recognize the bringer of food, they can't tell time, so they should react that way whenever you walk in the room.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 05-19-2003, 10:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I hear that a goldfishes memory is somthing like 7 seconds, is it similar with other fish? If so then I doubt they could remember whats what.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
isnt' that temp mem, if u pound it in there head enuf times they remember for good :p

Our fish seem to know when we are fixen to feed, he (the big oscar) Sees the bag and gets all anxious. My dad also used ot have htem trained he'd tap on the lid and all the lil fish come up to the top to get food.

I think they do remember you.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I always question the whole memory thing. How does someone go about telling something has a memory for 7 seconds, or a minute, or an hour? Maybe the fish just decide there's not many things important enough to remember. I know that everytime I came near my tank in the past, my fish used to hide and keep hidden until I fed them and left, now when they see me they rush to the right side of my tank, where my powerfilter pushes the food down. I also watched this show on animal planet where sharks (I know, there not fish, but...) would hear the sound of a powerboat and rush over because they "knew" people were diving to feed them. I'm pretty sure that takes some kind of intellegent memory. I like to think my fish actually have a religion where they worship me as the Food Bringer, and gather at the holy place at the prescribed time to recieve food from heaven. " (OK...so I have a very active imagination )
Old 05-19-2003, 10:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know this is going off topic but just thought I would share, just the other day I heard about these crows in Japan, they were so smart that they would drop their nuts on the road for cars to run them over and crack them, and at a red light they would swoop down and recover their food, fully prepared for them.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
maybe they can't read a clock but mine swim straight up looking at the top of the water at 7 they know it is feeding time. maybe like us they get used to eating at a regular time? don't know but happens everytime.
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
Old 05-20-2003, 08:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

My exp is that fish know what's doing. I even have my platy that is in a bowl practically yell at me if I go 1 minute past 8am. I am on a strict feeding program

Even my new tank of fish are beginning to get used to the feeding time.

MHO
Louise
Old 05-20-2003, 09:36 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The fish might be reacting to vibration or just movement in the room. One way to test this would be to have the lights in the room totally off and the only lights on are those in the tank.

This in essence should blind the fish from seeing to far away from the tank. Kind of like if your on stage and you cant see the audiance cause of all the stage lighting.

then you can leave the room and walk back in like you normally would after a period of time and see if you get a reaction. You could repeat this step with the room lights on to see if you get a different reaction. You could try to have your dad or someone else enter the room like you would and see if they react to the vibration of the steps on the floor or the movment of something infront of their tank.

I think fish are like the dogs in that socology expermint by pavlov (sp?). They get trained to respond to a condition. You or anyone else for that fact infront of the tank usually = food so they act accordingly when someone is infront of the tank. This is possibly one of the reasons beginners always feel their fish are hungery cause every time they look at them they are all over the front of the tank and top.

Note: these are just my observations and views. They may hold no water at all. (pun intended)

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com