Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2004, 11:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish School!

Some of you guys know I am doing the volunteer training program over at the Maritime Center in Norwalk. The Aquarium is a Long Island Sound based aquarium, and basically everything that is in it can be found at one time or another in the sound; sharks, sea turtles, seahorses, seals, jellies and tropical fish.

Yep, tropicals. Apparently the Gulf Stream drags em up the coast and some get dropped off right off of Brooklyn and Long Island LOL Never though one could see angelfish and butterflies in the waters near Coney Island! Some info/descriptions of fauna that shows up can be found here: http://www.scubaparadise.com/about.htm

And the coolest thing is, once I'm ready for a reef tank (which won't be for a couple of years) I already have frags lined up! They have a 500g reef tank with many of the tropicals, and tons of corals and anemones. They apparently need to frag often *grin* I'm almost temped to start a SW reef tank now LOL

The other thing that really caught my eye was the skimmers. The reef dude took some of us behind the scenes. The skimmer for the 500g tank is big, but the skimmer for the sea turtle tank? Holy jeez. Its got to be 9 feet tall at least, and really wide. I can't imagine having to pull the skimmate off that puppy LOL Yuck!

For those interested, this is the Maritime Centers webpage: http://www.maritimeaquarium.org/ . They even have a seal cam and sometimes you'll catch wild seals hanging out.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ooh, Alli can hook me up on Frags when I get my lighting upgraded! :p

Old 03-31-2004, 12:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: Fish School!

I was wondering what this 'fish school' was all about and I was going to ask you at the GCAS meeting next week.
It sounds like alot of fun and you are getting some great hands-on experience with SW.
So, I won't be too surprised if I see you buying a skimmer and wet/dry sump at the GCAS auction!
Would your FW angels get jealous if you started bringing home SW angels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allivymar
Yep, tropicals. Apparently the Gulf Stream drags em up the coast and some get dropped off right off of Brooklyn and Long Island
Does Tom Ridge and the Dept of Homeland Security know about this?
Al Qaida could be slapping explosives on tropical fish and just letting the Gulf Stream carry them right into New York Harbor.
All the more reason to accelerate global warming! :P
Old 03-31-2004, 03:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
about those skimmers, i saw some of the same kind at the oklahoma aquarium. The good thing about the ones i saw were no one ever has to clean them, they each have a sprinkler like system and a drain. If only my store had the same...

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

This sounds like a really exciting experience! There are a lot of marine science based facilities in the Hampton Roads/Norfolk area and I visit there when I can, but to actually volunteer would be too cool.

Madame Tankini is having another vision - Allivymar is going to be setting up a SW tank, and it won't be in any two years, either
Old 03-31-2004, 01:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Madame Tankini is having another vision - Allivymar is going to be setting up a SW tank, and it won't be in any two years, either
Old 03-31-2004, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Yep, tropicals. Apparently the Gulf Stream drags em up the coast and some get dropped off right off of Brooklyn and Long Island

Didn't know they got that far north, but I have caught Trigger fish on hook and line off the Delaware coast. Niger Triggers are what I caught, but have heard of other species. Not very good eating fish, bleccch.

If you could ever find a way to catch any of the tropicals that far north, you could surely keep them for a tank, I assume they would never make it back to tropical waters, and would be doomed come cold weather. No idea on the legality of that though.

The program sounds like a lot of fun, I don't even know if the National Aquarium in Baltimore has a program like that, but I wouldn't have time for it anyway.

Corvus agrees whole-heartedly with Madame Tankini! The temptation will be far to great to wait any two years, esp. w/free frags!

Old 03-31-2004, 08:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

*laughs*

I was actually going to start a marine tank over xmas time, but the **** cichlids started breeding and I had to make some choices. I'll prob start collecting the bits I need soon; I have my list of "what to get" already, and bought Bob Fenners book a while back LOL

I think one can grab the fish off the coast as they don't survive the winter anyway. Thing is, one really needs to scuba to get to them and I'm not PADI certified. I'll have to figure something out. Of course, I may also wind up with seahorses; the Aquarium seems to have a population issue as there males keep getting pregnant LOL

Oh, and those huge honking skimmers? Are cleaned by hand. BLEAUGH!

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Closed Thread

Tags
school

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com