Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Profile size is still undetermined. I'm still not even sure on the table layout. You are correct that it is (100%) text. Luckily, my parents still live in the dial-up days. Even worse, they're in a small town that only gets up to 35k, 42k if they're lucky. They are my main transfer testers. I have a server-side app to monitor upload/download on the server and it's usually <1 kb per query (loading the 25 test profiles).

Also, the image side is a seperate process. This will save time because the client doesn't have to load the image with each profile, rather it loads the image pointer (name). The client then does the physical load of the image when the user clicks on the image. This will prove to be the bottleneck on low-speed internet, but I think I'm handling it the best way I can.

As far as my download/upload, I'm on a Comcast 6Mbit download with a 768Kbit upload. I'm not sure on monthly bandwidth, however. I'm not worried about it at this point in time though. I currently run an FTP server for a bunch of my buddies and they are downloading between 20 and 50 GB of data a month. I'd imagine this app to only pull a max of 10 GB a month; and that's very generous. The FTP server will go down to make way for this app.

What else to consider technically? #1 is the machine itself. I'm running a fresh install of Windows 2000 Advanced Server. It's strictly a barebone install with securities. It has a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 and 128MB RAM . I won't be able to buff the RAM for quite some time so this will prove to be a server bottleneck for sure. #2 is the connectivity. Like I said, I've got a server monitor running and when I finally start to get numbers that test my hardware or broadband, I will look for external hosting. Obviously I don't want to do that because it would mean passing the costs along to the users (my ultimate goal is NOT to have to).

I think I've thought of just about everything, but I'm always open to suggestions.

75 Gallon High-Tech Planted Community
3.5 WPG using T8's
Fluorite w/sand mix
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com